Columbian Supreme | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Style: American Stout

Added by emmasdad on 11-04-2010

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

APPEARANCE: In the dim lighting this appeared to be jet black, it was at the very least a very, very dark brown and none of the few light sources near me penetrated the beer in any way at all. The coffee colored head was thin and dissipated quickly leaving a few wisps of foam in the middle of the glass and clinging to the edges. The foam on the edges, however, was too thin to stick and simply slid down the glass with the beer erasing any chance of lacing.

SMELL: I was underwhelmed by the smell. I was expecting a huge dose of coffee aroma, but instead I got a very toned down coffee with a faint of some citrus flavors.

TASTE: Well, this is basically coffee if it were carbonated, fermented, chilled and then run through a Randall. Unlike the nose it is intense on the coffee, but a touch of citrus hops does come through as well. As it warms, it mellows out a bit and gets much better with a little time.

MOUTHFEEL: I ordered this beer thinking that I would not be a huge fan of it, but I was a little tired and when the server told me that there was the caffeine equivalent of two cups of coffee in it I was sold on drinking it as an experience. I am glad I did, but it certainly got me wired. I was pretty amped up (as I do not normally drink coffee) and it felt like I had just had a shot of Jager and Red Bull. Otherwise it was slightly sparkly, but mostly smooth and silky. It goes down quite nicely.

OVERALL: I would order this beer again, drinking it out of my giant MurCan chalice may not have been the best idea, but it was a fun and unique beer.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Had this one on tap at Home Made Liquids and Solids up in Longmont. Poured a rich brown color, maybe black, with a smallish cap of medium brown foam. Very inviting aromas of coffee, coffee and more coffee. On the palate, moderate body, big coffee flavors, but one-dimensional. Good, but I wouldn't order it again.

Columbian Supreme from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew