Oktoberfest | Cheboygan Brewing Company

OktoberfestOktoberfest
3.54/5
Good
OktoberfestOktoberfest

Cheboygan Brewing Company
cheboyganbrewing.com

Style: German Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

A 2012 gold medal winner at the World Expo of Beer, it is created after the 1976 Spӓten Oktoberfest bier from Munch, Germany. This Oktoberfest bier is orange in hue, with a pronounced malt presence derived from the large amount of German style maltz. The result is a rich mouth feel with a malty body.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 16
Reviews by BcOneSeven:
2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

3.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Cheboygan Brewing Company's Oktoberfest a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This is the third bottled beer I have seen from this brewery, I think their a solid brewery and I'm interested to see what they do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's not the most eye catching label, but it has a nice festive Oktoberfest theme to it. It poured a fairly clear caramel amber color that took on more of a crimson hue when held to the light with one fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart a toasted, grainy, cereal and caramel malt aromas with some nice bready aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes more cereal malt aromas that seems to stick out just as much as the bready aroma and there was also a pretty noticeable nutty aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, it wasn't as true to style as I would like, but it was still nice.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts that seem to dominate this beer and impart all those aspects that I got in the aroma with the cereal flavors sticking out just a little more than the bready flavors and there's also a light nutty flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a very malty and cereal like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting malty beer, but it wasn't as true to style as I would like.

M- Smooth, clean slightly crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, fairly true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I didn't mind this beer but I didn't think it was that true to style, I thought it was a little more Brown Ale like than Marzen like with those cereal and bready malts really coming through with some nutty flavors that I usually find in Brown Ales. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not too filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention I could see myself drinking a couple of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the Mouthfeel and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice and fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was that it wasn't that true to style, it just didn't really fit in as a Marzen. I might buy a bottle or two again, but I don't think I would make a point to keep this in the fridge and I would recommend it to anyone who likes malty beers. All in all I didn't think this was a bad beer, it just wasn't as true to style as I would like, but I found that the bready and cereal malt flavors started to grow on me after a little bit. This was another solid beer from Cheboygan Brewing Company, it's not my favorite from them but I still enjoyed it.

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

12 ounce bottle into dimpled mug; no bottle dating, but is a recent seasonal release. Pours fairly hazy/cloudy deep reddish copper color with a 1 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of caramel, toffee, toast, brown bread, raisin, plum, herbal, grass, light nuttiness, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and yeast ester notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toffee, toast, biscuit, brown bread, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light raisin/plum, and yeast earthiness. Light earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toast, biscuit, brown bread, light nuttiness, herbal, grass, light raisin/plum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and complexity of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and light fruity yeast flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Fairly clean lager flavors with only a light amount of fruitiness present in the taste. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and moderately creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good Oktoberfest style. All around good robustness, complexity, and balance of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and light yeast ester flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%