S'mores Dessert Stout

n/a
Notes:
JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

S'mores. Who doesn't like them? Just the mention of them takes me, and anyone, back to days of scouts and roasting over an open fire. Although I never did that, I enjoyed the taste and the sensual experience of them and much of that was recreated with this beer. This wasn't terribly strong in the flavor or alcohol department but if I closed my eyes while drinking this, it was nearly enough to take me back to an easier time in life...

Of course, this had a dark pour to it with a moderate offsetting head that quickly settled. To my surprise, there wasn't any lacing left behind as this was a bit thinner than I had hoped. Loads of marshmallow and milk chocolate in the nose as there was a lot of sticky sweetness underneath that from the get-go. A bit of sarsaparilla and root beer creaminess was in the mix as the taste contained all of these along with graham cracker grain, bite, and crust. Sweet, balanced, and soothing, this was what a s'more in liquid form would be like if it was possible to take a treat like that and ferment it.

Not a lot of booze in this as the sugar was quite sticky along the lines of caramel. This didn't have a lot of carbonation in it either as the sugar was allowed to dominate on the palate from the get-go. Weak in booze as far as Stouts go, there was enough else going on here that the alcohol never really played into the equation. With a "drink by" date of 2/15/19 with "DRINK S'MORE" written below that on the bottom of the can, this was a fun beer that easily deserved a second go-around. Too bad this was the only one left here after I traded the rest away!

Jan 13, 2020