Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Monster | BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc.

3.55/5
Good

BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc.
United States
bjsrestaurants.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Beerandraiderfan on 12-29-2011

3.24/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Orange and auburn appearance, full 1/2" of head on it, off white. Aroma was disappointing. Drop them dry hops next time, instead it was devoid. I might have given it just a 3 in aroma since it wasn't bad, but sorry, with a name like hop monster, I want dry hopping to be apparent in the nose.

Taste was bitter, expected, the hops come out, but mostly they are bittering hops. Caramel is sturdy and not overly sweet. Frankly the pale ale is superior as beerandraiderfan believed as well.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

Had this at my last visit to the Reno BJs at the end of summer/beginning of fall. Pours out a nice orange and caramel appearance, decent head. Total lack of dry hop aroma. I'm already telling myself how it can't possibly measure up to the Pirahna pale ale.

Decent taste, bitter, the hops finally reveal themselves, and they aren't in low supply, I guess maybe they just used some Simcoe for bittering/flavor additions and didn't use any for dry hopping. Good caramel malt addition. A good beer, just not as good as Pirahna was my verdict.

Hop Monster from BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc.