Lockwood's Retreat

Fall
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Lockwood's RetreatLockwood's Retreat
Notes:

Feel 8/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 82/100

2.86/5  rDev -14.1%

Picked up a growler of this from my local beer shop, had never heard of it and like supporting local breweries so I figured I'd give it a shot. After talking to one of the owners I found out the brewery is relatively new (opened a little over a year ago) and still getting established. Admittedly, as the name implies, I am quite the hophead and love IPAs and know them well. I'll try not to be too harsh, but I wasn't really impressed at all with this one in particular.

A: Pours a dark, brazen orange, very cloudy almost unfiltered looking. Little to no head that breaks up fairly quickly. Little to no lacing to note as the head doesn't stick around at all.

S: Not much of a nose on this for me. I mostly get a biscuit malt, with a hint of citrus but no hop aroma to note.

T: As with the nose, it's pretty malt forward, especially the biscuit malt. Slight touch of citrus, perhaps apricot, but I do get a bit of the alcohol flavor too which I'm not exactly fond of. Also no real hop flavor to me, which doesn't make sense since it claims to be an IPA.

M: Fairly light bodied, a little too carbonated for my preference. The mouthfeel to me is exactly that of a Marzen, so it doesn't really have the character of an IPA to me at all.

O: Overall impression is a little disappointing. As someone who has toyed with brewing IPAs I know how particular they are and how they take quite some time to perfect, so I won't be too harsh. I think they do have a good start here but still need to take some time to refine it. Needs to be a little less malt forward, less carbonated, and definitely needs the hoppy characteristic of an IPA, that is missing and that's the most disappointing aspect to me. Certainly something that can be worked with, but at this point it's more of a work in progress than something that should be mass produced.

3.76/5  rDev +12.9%

A once a year offering made with Chinook,Cascade,and Columbus hops according to the Growler label.Poured into an impy pint glassa dull deep burnt orange with a one finger white head atop that was gone pretty quickly.Very muted aromas with faint citrus and leafy hops,a little biscuit malt as well.Flavors grew on me a little after awhile with some pretty good hop complxity coming into play,citric and leafy with a real pronounced earthiness,some sweetish biscuit malt underneath.Not a bad local ipa,it lacks any real aromas though wich hurt it a little.

Lockwood's Retreat from Mystery Brewing Company