Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rye IPA | Four Horsemen Brewing Company

Style: Rye Beer

Added by SmartyPints on 12-12-2011

Reviews by SmartyPints:
2.37/5  rDev 0%

Had on tap at Four Horsemen.

A- Pours a golden amberish orange color. One finger white head shows medium retention. Web style lacing on the glass when I drank this one down.

S- The aroma is pretty easy going and light. I get a light biscuity malt in the front with a clean bitter hops to it. The rye in the nose is rather light and I needed to bury my nose in the beer to find it other than the occasional whiff. There was also a unexpected lacto like sourness in the ending of the aroma which threw me off a bit.

T- Light hop bitterness in the front of the beer starts this one off good. This turns to a light rye like flavor and hints of biscuity malt. The middle shows a total breakdown of the beer as the laco sourness comes out and sticks around for a little bit. The rye does make a little appearance in the ending of the beer with a grainy like flavor as well. The hops are light and bitter in the ending with a small dose of alcohol.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Bittering hops and lacto sourness are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly light alcohol, light rye flavor, hint of lacto sourness, and hint of bitter hops. The flavors were put together well just needed to be more flavorful as it seemed a little toned down at times. Strange but lasting sour lacto flavor was a big off flavor for the beer. Medium heavy alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer was a good effort. The laco sourness didn't put me away from drinking this. I personally also like sours so... This beer needed a little extra push to make it better. Wish the rye came through more in the aroma and taste. This I was told was their second batch of it and I hope they keep tweaking this as it would not pass as a average Rye IPA now.

Rye IPA from Four Horsemen Brewing Company