Moroccan Vanilla Organic Honey Baltic Porter | Four Horsemen Brewing Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Four Horsemen Brewing Company
Indiana, United States

Style: Baltic Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by SmartyPints on 12-12-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by SmartyPints:
1.49/5  rDev n/a

Poured on beer engine at Fiddler's.

A- Poured a murky darker brown color. One finger head shows light retention. Some small specks of lace show up on the sides of the glass but most fall back into the beer with each sip.

S- I got a light roast almost charred upfront but very light at best. There was a underlying sweetness to this which I would assume is from the honey. The vanilla was toward the back of the aroma but you had to dig deep to find it. No real oak tones at all came through. Once I let this beer warm though the aroma changed gears and started to emit this very strange feta cheese like smell. I asked the group of people who I was with and three out of the four of people agreed feta was the correct aroma for it.

T- When this beer was cold I picked up some light roasted malts on the front end with a underlying sweetness. Hints of very light vanilla toward the middle of the beer. Ending showed some light oak notes with a roasted malt underlying that. Alcohol was light and didn't distract from the overall flavor profile. When this beer warmed though all that was thrown out the window. A strange overall sourness took over the beer masking most of the oak, vanilla, and anything that wasn't roasted.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was of course light but fine with it being on cask. On the palate while cool there was light roast and hints of wood. On the palate when warm was sourness and light roast. Aftertaste while cool was light alcohol, hint of oak and roasted malts. When warmed the aftertaste was light roast, lingering sourness, and hint of alcohol. Flavors were muddled and not put together well....could have been less watery. A strange sourness was a distinctive off flavor once the beer was warm. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- I ordered a pour of this along with a water. I sipped this one while cool letting it warm up. Bad mistake...a strange sourness came through. A horrible first cask try..one I hope they learned from. Once this beer got warm I could not tolerate it. If I could have drain poured it I would have. Since I was out I just left it on the table to be picked up.

Moroccan Vanilla Organic Honey Baltic Porter from Four Horsemen Brewing Company