Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by roadhouse on 10-10-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 30
3.86/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Normally, I don't review on flight beers but....

Slight chill haze on this pale, faint yellow brew. Small, short-lived head, no lace.
Smell is weak, faint. Some citrus, mostly lemon, clove and banana.
Taste is solid with malt, clove, lemon, banana notes dancing merrily across the tongue. Great balance.
Light bodied, very light effervescence. Banana lingers.

3.57/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Rapp Hefeweizen
$8 for a pint on tap @ The Brass Tap, Oldsmar, FL

For some reason I thought that this was a German made hefeweizen, and I was surprised that it would be so phenolic and smokey. Now I find that it's American made and that makes more sense.

It looks entirely as a Bavarian weissbier should. Good appearance. The aroma, however, displays a smokiness and plastic-like phenol that then carries over into the flavor. Now, smokiness is not uncommon in a weissbier, there are many examples, and certainly plastic-like phenols make themselves known as well - in fact, Weihenstaphaner weissbier displays a bit of a plastic-like phenol. When the two are put together though, it's a bit much. I felt that this was a bit like a Band-Aid wrapped in bacon... or is that bacon wrapped in a Band-Aid? Perhaps that's just my personal taste coming through. There are phenols in every wheat beer (the banana, for example), but I found it a bit much. The wheat based malt underneath was solid, as was the moderate bitterness level. It finished dry, but again, with lingering phenols. I would suggest you try it and see for yourself.

NOTE: After looking at other reviews I feel this was probably just an odd batch where the yeast got away. QA needs to be addressed at every brewery, but I will do my best to find a fresh batch and see if I can change my review for the better.

Hefeweizen from Rapp Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.