Arvada Red | Arvada Beer Company

Availability: Fall

Added by spoony on 09-19-2013

Reviews by spoony:
3.58/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Denver Bicycle Cafe into a pint glass.

A-The brew is cranberry-tinted honey in color with a slight haze. My pour arrived with about one finger of off-white head. The foam was short-lived and did not leave any lacing. The beer looks pretty still in the glass.

S-The smell is pretty mild, with decent doses of caramel and toffee being the main components. There is a little bit of grain, too. Very (very) light hops.

T-The taste is also heavy on the caramel and toffee malts. The brew is semi-sweet to sweet and hops are not noticeable. There is just a hint of spice in there, too. It is a bit simple, but not too far off from mainstream amber brews like Fat Tire.

M-The feel is a bit watery and thin. The carbonation is very mild.

O-I am glad to have tried a beer from Arvada since they don't see much distribution around town. Unfortunately, I don't know if Red is their best effort. If you are caramel-toffee fan, this beer might work for you, but I found it a little simple and the mouthfeel was lacking. Perhaps with some tweaking, this could make a good session beer?

2.44/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Spoony's review herein is much more detailed than my own, and he's spot on. The Arvada Red Ale is one of ABC's staple beers, and I think, one of their above-average beers. The growlers I bring home are usually of the red. During my latest visit (12/30/2014), the red was the second best on their menu (first place went to their Jolly Holiday Ale). My hope is that they're a little more ambitious with this red ale...a few mods and it could be much better. Regardless, I'll keep trying it on every visit. So should you!

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%