Black IPA | I & I Brewing

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.26/5  rDev -17.9%

On-tap at I&I

Not surprisingly, this beer is black. Roasted malt and chocolate make up the bulk of the aroma; it’s really not super hoppy. Maybe a hint of earthy and floral hops. As with the nose, roasted malt dominates. Faint floral and grassy hop flavors with only a mild bitterness, but that could just as well be from the grain. Not one of the better black IPAs I’ve had, but compared to some of the other I & I beers, this is a winner...

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

1184th Review on BA
Draft to Pint

@I&I

App- A very dark beer. Nearly black with some great depth of color in the glass. A nice 1/2-1 finger of almost brown head fell quickly to some good cling.

Smell- A nice mix of dark roasty malts and then a good hoppy note came in. Didnt have the citrus of Stone 15th or some other CDA's but a nice aromatic beer.

Taste- I liked it I really did. I have to bring it down a notch compared to some of the other CDA's. Nice hop forward notes that moved to a good mix of malts. Very smooth on the flavor. ABV is well hidden.

Mouth- A smaller medium body with a good medium carbonation. The body needed to be a bit thicker for me with the larger ABV on this one.

Drink- A nice rep of the style. A tasty beer regardless. Had a good layer going with some fresh hops and some great malty balance.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%