Orange Sunshine

n/a
Notes:
doktorhops from Australia

3.28/5  rDev 0%

The latest Garage Project hit the stores at a not-too-unreasonable of $24 a 4-pack... not a great price either, but GP are well-known to be premium (over)priced here in Aus. Orange Sunshine is an American Wheat Beer with added orange and lemon zest. Now I know there’s been some weird theme of reviewing fruit-infused beers with my last 2 reviews, this is purely coincidental - I am not purposely seeking out fruit-infused beers - just finding them popping up at my local Black Sheep Bottle Shop... come to think of it I’ve got yet another grapefruit-infused beer sitting in my fridge, ay caramba! Time to see if this fruit beer will sink with the last 2 or swim like Elvis Juice [not a euphemism!].

Poured from a 330ml can into a nonic pint.

A: Cloudy sunburst orange (orange sunshine: accurate) body with an off-white sea foam head that begins with an ample 3 centimetres and drops back to a measly-thin covering. Looks as advertised at least (some brews don’t even manage that). 7/10.

S: Orange and lemon peel: yes, rosehip and cardamom as well. Only detracting note is a metallic twinge - which realistically is pretty rare in the days of proper plastic-lined canning, but occasionally it pops up... surprising for GP given their usual rigorous QC. 6/10.

T: Cardamom and rosehip unexpectedly to the fore, followed by that anticipated orange and lemon peel character. It’s got a nice mellow American Wheat flavour, not unlike Green Beacon’s Wayfarer, which makes it a real hot weather lawn mower beer. Getting towards the end of summer here, with our nights now at a reasonably mild 21 degrees, it’s difficult to enjoy a light-flavoured Wheat when all I want is MOAR! However Orange Sunshine manages to fulfil the flavour brief without getting exciting at any point whatsoever... reminds me of their Hāpi Daze in that respect. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a slightly gassy carbonation. 7/10.

D: Mmmmmmmmmmeh. That is what I think of Orange Sunshine. Granted if it’s a scorcher of a day where the beads of sweat on my body have even smaller beads of sweat leaking out of them - like some sort of sweat inception, or “sweatception” - granted in that instance I might be pretty keen for a can of Orange Sunshine. However every other day my mind is of the opinion “why bother, have a Russian Imperial something instead”. So yeah, nice effort otherwise GP. 6/10.

Food match: Grilled chicken salad (with chups because it’s an NZ beer bro).

Feb 24, 2017