Super Brew 15 | S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

martens.ro

Style: English Barleywine

Added by Nerudamann on 04-08-2011

2.5/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3 years after the BB date. Almost clear golden color with just a bit of foam. Aroma starts with lots of sugar and a hint of dried fruits. Besides these, lots of alcohol. So far, not as bad as expected. Taste starts with sugary dried fruits, lots of booze, some floral perfume, some earthy, woody bitterness on the finish. Light, dry body. Seems that the age has done good things to this beer, it is not as bad as expected.

1.45/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

So many beers I've drank in the past that I didn't rate or forgot about..this one occurred to me today and nearly two years later...how can I forget possibly the worst beer I've ever had. $2.49 for a 24 oz I believe it was to inflict this on myself...You keep drinking the great ones, remember the good ones, forget the ok ones and bad ones and...the truly awful ones like this...ingrained forever on my mind and in my nightmares...this is as bad as it gets...in some strange way...that makes it worth seeking out...

1.81/5  rDev -3.2%

I couldn't convince myself to drink this sober, so there may be some incidental padding in my ratings. Yeah, bought as a joke because I have a Romanian boss and wanted to try the $3.50 "Original Barley Wine" that won best of 15 entrants from his country....
Wow, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's definitely just artificial butterscotch and solvent alcohol. So that's the review. Agreed with what others said. Terrible. Hope I can drink the rest before it reaches room temp or it's down the drain.

Going with BJCP descriptors.

Look - Rich Gold to dark brown... Nope. Looks like Coors light.

Smell - Hello Butterscotch, and a good day to you too Mr. Acetone. Just awful. Like a wino's breath masked only by a werther's orignal. I think you could clean something with this but you wouldn't want to because it would end up smelling like this bile.

Taste -Unsurprisingly, it follows the nose, but with some weird artificial caramel flavoring. It's boozy, but it doesn't necessarily taste like alcohol. Just a chemical buttery solvent-y mess.

Feel - Mouthfeel is odd, it's fuller bodied than it looks, but it's neither velvety nor luscious. It does not have a smooth warmth from the alcohol, more like hot nail polish. I would rather talk about how it made me feel, which was bad and almost as if I had been poisoned, which technically I had been.

Overall - Overall? It's easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. I allowed it to warm a bit before I tried it again as I wanted to give it the full go. BAD. IDEA. Everything was the same, but worse and all the flaws were out on front street fighting each other in a bare knuckled death match. I saw a gnat flying dangerously close to my sample glass and I swear that as came in for a landing on the rim, it vaporized before it got there.

This beer has done nothing to even merit the 1 that I have given it.

To summarize...

SC Martens S.A, what you've just made is one of the most insanely horrible things I have ever tasted. At no point in your fumbling infantile-like brewing process were you even close to anything that could be considered an english barleywine. Everyone's tastebuds who sampled this alongside me are now duller for having drank it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

1.61/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Alcohol is heavy in this, as would be expected by the 15% ABV, but it totally dominates the aroma and taste, sickly sweet malt and paint thinner hide in the background. Nasty

1.78/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, plastic, green apples. Taste is, well, OMG. It's terrible. Pure alcohol. I need to go grab a shot glass out of the cabinet, and a can of Olde English 800 from the fridge, for use as a chaser. Feels light and hot in the mouth and overall is a horrible beer, I can feel a headache coming on as I finish the bottle.

1.59/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.82/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Whoa..... this beer is absolutely terrible. I want my $2.89 back. I of course bought this because of the high alcohol content to give it a try, but I really shouldn't have. I couldn't even make it half way through! This one went straight down the sink. I'm sure if I were a hobo living in an alley I would have enjoyed this more, but since I'm not, I will beg you not to waste your hard earned money on this. If you have a friend that drinks all your beer buy a few of these, put them in the fridge and that guy will never take a beer from your fridge again. Yes, its that bad. Easily in my top 10 worst of all time.

2.44/5  rDev +30.5%

Romania. Land of castles. Beautiful, black-eyed women. Dracula. And this beer. I saw this at my local Assi (a Korean super-grocery) and thought, "Hey! Romanian beer!" I had to pick it up. Was it worth a purchase?

Appearance 3.25: Poured out a completely translucent amber color. Very little head. No lacing. Still, it is the completely translucent nature of this beer that is appealing. No floaties, no nothing. A striking look for someone who has seen a lot of beers.

Smell 3.5: Gorgeous bouquet on this beer. Sweet-smelling like honey with a light grain scent. There is also a strange scent of saki about this beer. Very strange, but not off-putting.

Taste 2.0: Front is sweet and astringent with a hint of barley and honey. Middle is slightly sweet with a big wave of acetone. Finish also has a slight sweetness with a caramel-malt flavor. Aftertaste is where a burning sensation spread all over my palate along with an unpleasant acidic taste with a definite coppery twang. Tastes nothing like a beer. This tastes like some kind of "artisan" mead and not a beer.

Mouthfeel 2.0: Too much carbonation, so much so that it burns the mouth. Unpleasant and distracting.

Overall 2.0: Wow, this is a strange brew indeed. My wife said she liked it and thought it would go good with food. This may indicate that the master brewers of Romania brewed this as something with which to seduce a lovely, black-eyed maiden. Regardless, it is a beer that is not a beer (being a barley wine) and holy mackerel can you taste the difference. Sweet, burning, astringent...still, it is worth a shot if you are an intrepid beer hunter and angling for something new. Not every shot hits the mark, folks.

1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

1.75/5  rDev -6.4%

1.2/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

1.5/5  rDev -19.8%

1.66/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A beer loving friend insisted I try this, so bought a bottle for me.

Pours gold with very little white head that doesn't stick around long.

This is one time where I am glad I don't have the sharpest sense of smell. Basically sweet with a chemical smell that is trying to dominate the sweet.

Starts out sweet, then a chemical flavor takes over, leaving a nasty aftertaste. Not sure what this is made form, but doesn't taste like anything natural to me.

As for feel it's wet, that's about it.

Not the worst thing I have ever tasted, but nothing about it was very good. Has flavor, but that doesn't mean it's a good flavor. Interesting to try once for the experience, best thing I can say is I didn't go blind drinking it.

1.26/5  rDev -32.6%

16.9oz bottle of 15%abv Barleywine for less than $3? What could possibly go wrong? Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clear, clean medium-dark golden honey color with zero head, thus no retention or lacing. Not inherently a bad looking beer (quite attractive actually) but nothing like any other BW I've ever encountered.

The aroma was alcohol, tequila, diacetyl, and an odd honey-like sweetness. I got goosebumps and shakes just from sniffing. The taste was the same, just worse. Butterscotch, sugary-sweetness, alcohol, and that tequila like, component added to an underlying medicinal quality.

The body was thin, very thin, not anywhere near a quality BW. Drinkability was rough, I got through the bottle by drinking quickly. Plus, I hate drainpours. Overall, if you want to look for a new job, but don't want to quit the one you have, give a bottle of this to your boss for a Christmas present. You'll be unemployed in no time! Unless you're a serious ticker, avoid.

1.39/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

RJT

1.75/5  rDev -6.4%

2.11/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Saw this in a Brooklyn deli and it said Barley Wine!...???...!!!

Pours deep clear gold with almost no head and the bit that was there vanished in a half a blink.

Almost no scent save for a bit of grain and candy.

The taste is what I'll remember most about this here brew..AGGGHH!!! Candy sweetness followed by a rush of raw alcohol on the finish! JEEZ!. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with cauldron like carbonation.

Not a bad beer if you like playing "Lets kill my liver and taste buds all at once"

Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.