Super Brew 15 | S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

S. C. Martens S. A.

Style: English Barleywine

Added by Nerudamann on 04-08-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 67
1.45/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

So many beers I've drank in the past that I didn't rate or forgot about..this one occurred to me today and nearly two years later...how can I forget possibly the worst beer I've ever had. $2.49 for a 24 oz I believe it was to inflict this on myself...You keep drinking the great ones, remember the good ones, forget the ok ones and bad ones and...the truly awful ones like this...ingrained forever on my mind and in my nightmares...this is as bad as it gets...in some strange way...that makes it worth seeking out...

1.81/5  rDev -4.2%

I couldn't convince myself to drink this sober, so there may be some incidental padding in my ratings. Yeah, bought as a joke because I have a Romanian boss and wanted to try the $3.50 "Original Barley Wine" that won best of 15 entrants from his country....
Wow, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's definitely just artificial butterscotch and solvent alcohol. So that's the review. Agreed with what others said. Terrible. Hope I can drink the rest before it reaches room temp or it's down the drain.

Going with BJCP descriptors.

Look - Rich Gold to dark brown... Nope. Looks like Coors light.

Smell - Hello Butterscotch, and a good day to you too Mr. Acetone. Just awful. Like a wino's breath masked only by a werther's orignal. I think you could clean something with this but you wouldn't want to because it would end up smelling like this bile.

Taste -Unsurprisingly, it follows the nose, but with some weird artificial caramel flavoring. It's boozy, but it doesn't necessarily taste like alcohol. Just a chemical buttery solvent-y mess.

Feel - Mouthfeel is odd, it's fuller bodied than it looks, but it's neither velvety nor luscious. It does not have a smooth warmth from the alcohol, more like hot nail polish. I would rather talk about how it made me feel, which was bad and almost as if I had been poisoned, which technically I had been.

Overall - Overall? It's easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. I allowed it to warm a bit before I tried it again as I wanted to give it the full go. BAD. IDEA. Everything was the same, but worse and all the flaws were out on front street fighting each other in a bare knuckled death match. I saw a gnat flying dangerously close to my sample glass and I swear that as came in for a landing on the rim, it vaporized before it got there.

This beer has done nothing to even merit the 1 that I have given it.

To summarize...

SC Martens S.A, what you've just made is one of the most insanely horrible things I have ever tasted. At no point in your fumbling infantile-like brewing process were you even close to anything that could be considered an english barleywine. Everyone's tastebuds who sampled this alongside me are now duller for having drank it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

1.61/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Alcohol is heavy in this, as would be expected by the 15% ABV, but it totally dominates the aroma and taste, sickly sweet malt and paint thinner hide in the background. Nasty

1.78/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, plastic, green apples. Taste is, well, OMG. It's terrible. Pure alcohol. I need to go grab a shot glass out of the cabinet, and a can of Olde English 800 from the fridge, for use as a chaser. Feels light and hot in the mouth and overall is a horrible beer, I can feel a headache coming on as I finish the bottle.

1.82/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Whoa..... this beer is absolutely terrible. I want my $2.89 back. I of course bought this because of the high alcohol content to give it a try, but I really shouldn't have. I couldn't even make it half way through! This one went straight down the sink. I'm sure if I were a hobo living in an alley I would have enjoyed this more, but since I'm not, I will beg you not to waste your hard earned money on this. If you have a friend that drinks all your beer buy a few of these, put them in the fridge and that guy will never take a beer from your fridge again. Yes, its that bad. Easily in my top 10 worst of all time.

2.44/5  rDev +29.1%

Romania. Land of castles. Beautiful, black-eyed women. Dracula. And this beer. I saw this at my local Assi (a Korean super-grocery) and thought, "Hey! Romanian beer!" I had to pick it up. Was it worth a purchase?

Appearance 3.25: Poured out a completely translucent amber color. Very little head. No lacing. Still, it is the completely translucent nature of this beer that is appealing. No floaties, no nothing. A striking look for someone who has seen a lot of beers.

Smell 3.5: Gorgeous bouquet on this beer. Sweet-smelling like honey with a light grain scent. There is also a strange scent of saki about this beer. Very strange, but not off-putting.

Taste 2.0: Front is sweet and astringent with a hint of barley and honey. Middle is slightly sweet with a big wave of acetone. Finish also has a slight sweetness with a caramel-malt flavor. Aftertaste is where a burning sensation spread all over my palate along with an unpleasant acidic taste with a definite coppery twang. Tastes nothing like a beer. This tastes like some kind of "artisan" mead and not a beer.

Mouthfeel 2.0: Too much carbonation, so much so that it burns the mouth. Unpleasant and distracting.

Overall 2.0: Wow, this is a strange brew indeed. My wife said she liked it and thought it would go good with food. This may indicate that the master brewers of Romania brewed this as something with which to seduce a lovely, black-eyed maiden. Regardless, it is a beer that is not a beer (being a barley wine) and holy mackerel can you taste the difference. Sweet, burning, astringent...still, it is worth a shot if you are an intrepid beer hunter and angling for something new. Not every shot hits the mark, folks.

1.25/5  rDev -33.9%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

1.2/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

1.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A beer loving friend insisted I try this, so bought a bottle for me.

Pours gold with very little white head that doesn't stick around long.

This is one time where I am glad I don't have the sharpest sense of smell. Basically sweet with a chemical smell that is trying to dominate the sweet.

Starts out sweet, then a chemical flavor takes over, leaving a nasty aftertaste. Not sure what this is made form, but doesn't taste like anything natural to me.

As for feel it's wet, that's about it.

Not the worst thing I have ever tasted, but nothing about it was very good. Has flavor, but that doesn't mean it's a good flavor. Interesting to try once for the experience, best thing I can say is I didn't go blind drinking it.

1.26/5  rDev -33.3%

16.9oz bottle of 15%abv Barleywine for less than $3? What could possibly go wrong? Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clear, clean medium-dark golden honey color with zero head, thus no retention or lacing. Not inherently a bad looking beer (quite attractive actually) but nothing like any other BW I've ever encountered.

The aroma was alcohol, tequila, diacetyl, and an odd honey-like sweetness. I got goosebumps and shakes just from sniffing. The taste was the same, just worse. Butterscotch, sugary-sweetness, alcohol, and that tequila like, component added to an underlying medicinal quality.

The body was thin, very thin, not anywhere near a quality BW. Drinkability was rough, I got through the bottle by drinking quickly. Plus, I hate drainpours. Overall, if you want to look for a new job, but don't want to quit the one you have, give a bottle of this to your boss for a Christmas present. You'll be unemployed in no time! Unless you're a serious ticker, avoid.

1.39/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

2.11/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Saw this in a Brooklyn deli and it said Barley Wine!...???...!!!

Pours deep clear gold with almost no head and the bit that was there vanished in a half a blink.

Almost no scent save for a bit of grain and candy.

The taste is what I'll remember most about this here brew..AGGGHH!!! Candy sweetness followed by a rush of raw alcohol on the finish! JEEZ!. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with cauldron like carbonation.

Not a bad beer if you like playing "Lets kill my liver and taste buds all at once"

1.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

A: Pours a dark, clear caramel. No head after ten seconds, sparse bubbles rising to the surface.

S: The most prevalent smell is of vegetal alcohol. More than anything else, it reminds me of cheap, plastic bottle tequila. It was enough to take my breath away initially (and not in a good way).

T: Not surprisingly, cheap alcohol is the strongest taste. After the initial blast, there is a somewhat pleasant lingering butterscotch aftertaste.

M: Carbonation is small. Coats the tongue like a $10 bottle of brandy.

O: Couldn't make it through an entire bottle. With that said, it does offer a great value for those wanting to get hammered, as I was able to pick up the 500 mL bottle for $2.49.

2.44/5  rDev +29.1%

500 ml bottle into my appropriate Founders 15th anny barleywine glass. Thanks again to match1112 for delivering on my craziest wants. I've heard the reputation of this beer but I had no idea it was hovering around 15% abv....

A - Pours a crystal clear dark brown/orange body. White foam forms quickly but disappears within ten seconds. It looks like a glass of apple juice with rising carbonation. How deceiving it looks!

S - Werthers original mash up of toffee and caramel, burnt malts, and an almost vegetal like fruitiness. Apples? Some cheap fusel booze on the end. Despite coming off as a bit candy like and artificial its not terrible I suppose.

T - Toffee and caramel, fermented apples, and a rough but manageable alcohol bite. It's certainly not appealing or what I would describe as "good" but it is drinkable. Therein lies the problem. It does feel boozy but not 14.9% boozy, its just the richness and sweetness which will slow you down. This is a headache in a bottle.

O - An odd treat from Romania. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, however the booze will creep up on you when you least expect it. A rather unassuming beer with a dark side. The dark side being that it will totally fuck you up. I feel like I could survive the cold war now.

2.26/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Pure Romanian moonshine. I drank a whole pint of it, and though I didn't get incredibly drunk, that time period has a hazy dark quality. I didn't enjoy it. I imagine 2 pints of this would have produced a strong stumbling gait and perhaps even black-out. Luckily I only had one.

I am convinced that they added pure Vodka into this beer. It has a strong Slavic nature of Eastern Europe vodka drinking. I would avoid this one in the future, unless you like the smell/flavor of pure Denatured Alcohol. I am not convinced that this was not brewed in a mountain still by gypsies.

1.39/5  rDev -26.5%

Unfortunately I sampled this brew in its native pint bottle and wasn't able to appraise its appearance, but I digress.

I'm a person who judges beer by its flavor. If you want flashy adverts which tell you what the beer you're drinking tastes like then my review can't help you. I'm a person who judges the beer he drinks by the flavors he tastes.

This beer was the roughest I've ever consumed. I don't say this as hyperbole, but as literal fact. I've drank Steel Reserve, Four Loko, and Joose, but this brew from Romania was the worst tasting slag I have ever had the misfortune of wrapping my lips around.

I drank this beer cold (32-37 degrees F) and it still was extremely rough. An initial punch of brandy was countered by a sudden rush of overpowering alcohol and almost savory bready-ness. The aftertaste is worse than Robitussin, and I was hesitant to take a third sip of this vile concoction.

This beer may attract you with its claims of being a Belian-Quad clone, but in all honesty it's worse than the United States equivalent of a cheap malt liquor.

I would rather drink several cans of Steel Reserve than this swill.

2.61/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Caracole small snifter. Slight trepidation here….. Pours a medium coppery amber. A rush of carbonation similar to a soda, that hisses and foams very pleasantly for about 15 seconds forming a very brief (about equal to the life of the Higgs boson) head that completely disappears; nice active carbonation in the glass. Aroma of English barleywine elements, bready malt, dark dried fruit, but with an odd light solvent component. Flavor starts out similar to aroma, dark dried fruit and bready malt, alcohol, similar to a cheap brandy. Finishes with malt, alcohol and a similar hint of solvent. Points off for the soda like head formation, but gets some for very nice carbonation; similarly the carbonation gives it an adequate mouth feel. Similar enough to a barleywine flavor to finish the bottle, but this was a one and done for the oddity and to tick Romania (never one of my expected top beer destinations and still holding that title). Try this if you are adventurous, but don't get your hopes up.
This bottle labeled "Old Superior Ale / Beer With Me", but talks about being a classic barleywine and obviously the same beer.

1.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to grab this when I saw it on sale for $3 - how can I pass up the infamous Romanian barleywine that's 15%? FosterJM, I hope you're happy! Tickers gotta tick.

Pours a dark clear gold with barely any carbonation. Doesn't look much like a barleywine - but at least the head dies after 10 seconds and it looks like piss after a night of drinking too much barleywine.

The smell is pretty much just lots of fusels, but it adds to that whole shady eastern European appeal and lives up to my nightmares. Some vanilla and tobacco come out after it warms, but so does jet fuel.

Cheap oxidized brandy and a crapload of stale pale/amber malt, which technically makes it a barleywine I guess. Or maybe bum-leywine is a more apt description. It's hot as hell but in that manly self-destructive way like cheap whiskey, and the finish is all grain and corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is thick enough to keep it from scorching your taste buds, but it feels more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Also, diabeetus.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't get even half way through the bottle before a pre-hangover headache started to come on strong and I had to dump the rest because no one could get past the smell. That being said, if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd just have said fuck it and polished it off because it's that kind of awesomely terrible. Plus, in retrospect, I've had American barleywines that were just as bad that spent time in barrels and cost 10 times as much. And it puts radioactive hair on your chest.

2.51/5  rDev +32.8%

I bought a 16.9oz bottle of this at Binny's in Plainfield, Il in late 2011 for $3.69.

Pours a clear amber color with almost no head. Scent is floral with hibiscus tones. Taste is rather rough and harsh. It has that bite like a good bourbon barrel stout but is dry and really has a strong alcohol taste to it. Finishes with a slight citrus taste. Interesting style and taste but there is just way to much alcohol in this beer to taste the beer. Great for getting hammered but not very good if you are tasty brew.

1.98/5  rDev +4.8%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a very thin white head that instantly dissipated, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of alcohol and apples in the nose; however these aren’t very pleasant smelling.
T: Similar to the smell, the beer tastes like high proof grain alcohol mixed in with some apple juice.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth is noticeable.
O: I thought that this beer could be difficult to drink based on its high alcohol content, but the smell and taste seem to be what renders it rather undrinkable. I’ve had malt liquors that were easier to consume (and more palatable) than this beer.

1.97/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a hefe glass. Absolutely no head, but the carbonation display was spectacular. It generated a constant curtain of fine bubbles throughout the drinking experience, but a head never formed.

Aroma was very bready initially, but very quickly turned to an overwhelming alcoholic/DMS dominated smell. So alcoholic in fact, it burned a little when taking a deep inhalation.

Mouthfeel was decent. Not too watery, but not very thick. Probably the result of the 15% AVB composition.

Taste was similar to flavored moonshine. No hint of hops whatsoever. Entirely dominated by alcohol. But what would one expect for a 15 percenter? I'm not sure where they got the sugars for the high ABV, but it was probably B infusion of adjuncts. The "barley" in Barrleywine was decidedly absent. A decidedly harsh alcoholic aftertaste dominated the flavor.

Overall, this is probably a one-timer for me. For the price, I had to try one. Let's just hope it's not loaded with fusels for the sake of tomorrow morning. If someone bought one for me, I'd probablly take them up on ity, but I'm not shelling out any more of my money for a second.

It's a great beer if your inttention is to get a big buzz as quickly as possible. If you're lookijg for a quality Barleywine, stick to the proven standards. It is affecting my ability to review as I drink it.

1.38/5  rDev -27%

16.9 oz bottle, no bottle date, poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice.

A- Pours a perfectly clear amber color, it actually has a color gradient, becoming more clear towards the edges, produces a thin fizzy white head that bubbles away to nothing in about 10 seconds. Leaves no lacing at all.

S- Smells oddly sour, aroma of acetic acid, some acidic sour grape smell, lots of fusel alcohol and acetone and a boiled wilted-vegetable smell.

T- Weird is all I can say, besides disgusting. Instantaneous blast of hot, harsh alcohol, lots of acetone, again lots of weird sour grape and apple flavor and more skunky cooked vegetables as well as a weird sharp sugary sweetness. This is probably the most offensive tasting beer I've ever come across. The sour flavor lingers for a long time, at some point I burped and could just taste more sour nastiness, at which point I almost gagged.

M- Medium to light body, very high carbonation, hot alcohol burn.

O- An impressively terrible beer, there's really nothing positive I can say about this. At the same time, give this a try, it's definitely an unforgettable experience.

3.32/5  rDev +75.7%

Pours a pretty, if typical, clear amber with a respectable off-white head that does not stick around too long. Strong, fruity aroma is more like apple brandy than beer, and packs a punch. Flavor is - HOLY GUACAMOLE, is this beer, or brandy? Alcohol bite is quite fierce, overpowering the fruity and yeasty components. A fine beer if you like brandy, but it packs quite a wallop - this will knock you on your ***. Texture is smooth and fairly fizzy, but the alcohol bite is as fierce as an angry Rottweiler. Fine for barleywine and brandy lovers - this beer is not for the faint of heart!

1.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Oh my.
How could I resist this thing after I heard about it?!

It pours very light in color and I expected the body would be really clear golden, but it is actually really clear orangey amber colored. Whatever head there was fizzled away virtually instantly.

Smells and tastes of boiled corn syrup, grain alcohol, gasoline, and flowery perfume. A really strange candy-like malt note underneath it all too... Man this is fucking odd. I'm not going to lie-- it is pretty terrible, but it is such a FUN kind of terrible. The nail polish remover really shines as this warms up.

Feels syrupy and oily, lots of residual sugar coating my teeth here. A big heat warms my throat.

Overall-- there is a something about this beer that makes me think of creamed corn and moonshine.
This entirely undrinkable, and yet it was so much fun actually trying this!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.