Nosedive | The Shed Brewery

Added by Brad007 on 02-05-2014

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at Highland Pizzeria during a previous period of unemployment and set it aside, awaiting the right moment (or for it to pop up in the backlog). My interest was recently re-sparked & so I put it in the reefer to cool off as I made my way through some DC Brau collaborations. The last of the five was a RIS & it kind of put me in the mood for a Porter. I apologize both for it coming in a bottle & if my drinking a Porter right after a world-class RIS offends you. If not, then disregard what I said.

From the bottle: "A deep Stowe, Vermont heritage, this small batch classic now makes its home in Middlebury, Vermont."; "Named for the legendary Vermont ski run, Nosedive twists and turns the tastebuds with a rich, robust malt profile that's steeped with the sweetness of vanilla."; "Brewed in VT"; "Brewed Fresh Since 1995 - Established in Stowe, Vermont"; "Born in Stowe, Vermont, at the legendary Shed Restaurant & Brewery. Moved to Middlebury to raise up a family of Vermont ales."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly with a heavy-handed pour. It was doing well as far as head production was concerned, so I just kept up my pour until the bottle was emptied. This resulted in just under two fingers of dense, puffy, light-tan head that hung in just long enough to be notable. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44), but much closer to 44, except for the cola highlights at the edges. Nose smelled like a Dixie Cup of Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream! Man, I remember when Pennsupreme Dairy was still going and this was a real treat as a kid, although the wooden spoon reminded me of a tongue depressor at Aunt Doc's office. Actually, this was more towards Dark Chocolate than Milk Chocolate, but the analogy still puts you in the ballpark. Warming, I was also getting a light smokiness. Time for a sip! Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not watery, but thin and especially for the style. The taste reminded me of a pleasant combination of 'Nilla Wafers & Oreos. Definitely vanilla and chocolate! I felt like a little kid again, having juice & cookies after our nap. Man, I could go back to that time in a heartbeat! The innocence; a great teacher and my first girlfriend, a fellow ginger with whom I would hold hands, eat lunch & sat next to of our own willful volition. She was my first kiss & there was initial concern until cooler heads prevailed since were only 5 y/o. Another digression. I may be losing my mind. Or, it may have been lost long ago. I liked the cookie-like/biscuity flavor, especially on the semi-dry finish. It put me in mind of Enrico's Biscotti's Marble Biscotti from Pixburgh's Strip District. Vanilla & Chocolate dough rolled together & baked. Mmm. This was nice.

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

4.01/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer, Being semi new to the beer world, this was my first porter. It had a really good nose to it, very smooth, great tasting beer, having had tried other porters at this point, I can't say at all that this is my favorite, but its definitely very, very good.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the bottle, it pours a dark brown with a small light tan head, which doesn't last. Roasted malts in the nose with little to no vanilla character. The vanilla, however, comes through enjoyably in the mouth.

3.96/5  rDev +5%

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

Sadly disappointing, I hesitated because I'm not a fan of Long Trail, and this is from same owner. While I am a fan of Vermont and Otter Creek there are much better beers coming from NH (Smutty), Maine (Allagash), CT (Two Roads), NJ (Carton) than VT.

That said, I love the Shed's EIPA and Profanity Ale.

Am also not a fan of vanilla porters as I find the sweetness stupid.

A. Coke brown body w 2 fingers of tan foam. Too soda like.

S. Aroma dominated by flavored coffee. (I also detest flavored coffee).

T. Flavored, vanilla spiked, and sweetened coffee mixed with more vanilla up front. No bitter bite, no hops.

F Totally on the thin side for a robust porter, not chewy, no good mouth feel. too sweet and soda-like. pass.

just okay
Pass. Dont buy.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

3.92/5  rDev +4%

From the mixed-12 pack, bought Oct 2015.
Pours very dark brown with a thin creamy head. Head does not last.
Smell is clean and mild: yeasty, light vanilla, fresh.
Tastes has firm vanilla flavor from front to back but does not overpower your normal porter flavors. A lot comes through. It's certainly bitter enough.
Mouthfeel is not thin, but a little thinner than I expected. Carbonation is just enough to prickle the roof of your mouth.
If really like it. This should be qualified as a ROBUST PORTER.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a rich dark black color in to my tulip glass. The nose is mostly of the roasted malts with not a lot of the vanilla coming through. The taste runs along the same lines with a great roasted malt taste but very lacking in the vanilla flavor. It still is a solid porter but not if your looking for a good vanilla flavor.

Nosedive from The Shed Brewery