Nosedive | The Shed Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by Brad007 on 02-05-2014

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 80
3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at Highland Pizzeria during a previous period of unemployment and set it aside, awaiting the right moment (or for it to pop up in the backlog). My interest was recently re-sparked & so I put it in the reefer to cool off as I made my way through some DC Brau collaborations. The last of the five was a RIS & it kind of put me in the mood for a Porter. I apologize both for it coming in a bottle & if my drinking a Porter right after a world-class RIS offends you. If not, then disregard what I said.

From the bottle: "A deep Stowe, Vermont heritage, this small batch classic now makes its home in Middlebury, Vermont."; "Named for the legendary Vermont ski run, Nosedive twists and turns the tastebuds with a rich, robust malt profile that's steeped with the sweetness of vanilla."; "Brewed in VT"; "Brewed Fresh Since 1995 - Established in Stowe, Vermont"; "Born in Stowe, Vermont, at the legendary Shed Restaurant & Brewery. Moved to Middlebury to raise up a family of Vermont ales."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly with a heavy-handed pour. It was doing well as far as head production was concerned, so I just kept up my pour until the bottle was emptied. This resulted in just under two fingers of dense, puffy, light-tan head that hung in just long enough to be notable. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44), but much closer to 44, except for the cola highlights at the edges. Nose smelled like a Dixie Cup of Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream! Man, I remember when Pennsupreme Dairy was still going and this was a real treat as a kid, although the wooden spoon reminded me of a tongue depressor at Aunt Doc's office. Actually, this was more towards Dark Chocolate than Milk Chocolate, but the analogy still puts you in the ballpark. Warming, I was also getting a light smokiness. Time for a sip! Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not watery, but thin and especially for the style. The taste reminded me of a pleasant combination of 'Nilla Wafers & Oreos. Definitely vanilla and chocolate! I felt like a little kid again, having juice & cookies after our nap. Man, I could go back to that time in a heartbeat! The innocence; a great teacher and my first girlfriend, a fellow ginger with whom I would hold hands, eat lunch & sat next to of our own willful volition. She was my first kiss & there was initial concern until cooler heads prevailed since were only 5 y/o. Another digression. I may be losing my mind. Or, it may have been lost long ago. I liked the cookie-like/biscuity flavor, especially on the semi-dry finish. It put me in mind of Enrico's Biscotti's Marble Biscotti from Pixburgh's Strip District. Vanilla & Chocolate dough rolled together & baked. Mmm. This was nice.

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer, Being semi new to the beer world, this was my first porter. It had a really good nose to it, very smooth, great tasting beer, having had tried other porters at this point, I can't say at all that this is my favorite, but its definitely very, very good.

3.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the bottle, it pours a dark brown with a small light tan head, which doesn't last. Roasted malts in the nose with little to no vanilla character. The vanilla, however, comes through enjoyably in the mouth.

3.12/5  rDev -17%

Sadly disappointing, I hesitated because I'm not a fan of Long Trail, and this is from same owner. While I am a fan of Vermont and Otter Creek there are much better beers coming from NH (Smutty), Maine (Allagash), CT (Two Roads), NJ (Carton) than VT.

That said, I love the Shed's EIPA and Profanity Ale.

Am also not a fan of vanilla porters as I find the sweetness stupid.

A. Coke brown body w 2 fingers of tan foam. Too soda like.

S. Aroma dominated by flavored coffee. (I also detest flavored coffee).

T. Flavored, vanilla spiked, and sweetened coffee mixed with more vanilla up front. No bitter bite, no hops.

F Totally on the thin side for a robust porter, not chewy, no good mouth feel. too sweet and soda-like. pass.

just okay
Pass. Dont buy.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

From the mixed-12 pack, bought Oct 2015.
Pours very dark brown with a thin creamy head. Head does not last.
Smell is clean and mild: yeasty, light vanilla, fresh.
Tastes has firm vanilla flavor from front to back but does not overpower your normal porter flavors. A lot comes through. It's certainly bitter enough.
Mouthfeel is not thin, but a little thinner than I expected. Carbonation is just enough to prickle the roof of your mouth.
If really like it. This should be qualified as a ROBUST PORTER.

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a rich dark black color in to my tulip glass. The nose is mostly of the roasted malts with not a lot of the vanilla coming through. The taste runs along the same lines with a great roasted malt taste but very lacking in the vanilla flavor. It still is a solid porter but not if your looking for a good vanilla flavor.

4.17/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Looks great, nice and dark. Faint aroma of vanilla is on the nose and in the taste. Flavor is sort of subdued with the roasted malt there too. A little to thin for my liking, and robust it's not, but overall a pretty good porter.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep dark mahogany with a tan head, good retention.

Smells of roasted malt, coffee, and vanilla.

Taste is largely malt with bitter coffee, a hint of chocolate, and then a decent hint of vanilla. The vanilla is a nice accent and not overbearing.

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

This Porter, although cheap for a tall boy, is among one of my favorites. Perfect vanilla notes and lovely flavor. I always stock this in the fridge in case I get a craving for it in the summer months.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Vanilla notes are present but not prominent. Has the roasty overtones you'd expect from a porter. Nice and dark and heavy with just a little sweetness from that vanilla.

Ever had like… a vanilla bean soaked in vodka?

4.77/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What is a robust porter? The answer is a stout! I can't think of a better vanilla beer. Tastes great and it's a cheap bomber. It don't get much better than that!

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

Dark brown body with Coca Cola highlights. Three fingers of highly whipped medium tan foam.

Aroma dominated by coffee.

Coffee mixed with sweetness up front. Bitter bite at the swallow. Not getting any real vanilla though. Slight echoes at best.

Little on the thin side for a robust porter, not chewy.

Take the vanilla off the label and the score goes up a little, but it's just okay even then.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From the 650 ml. bottle dated 01/31/14. Sampled on April 4, 2014.

It pours dark brown to about jet black with a small tan head that erupts and fades as quickly. A little cloudy if I look close enough because it is pretty opaque.

The aroma is of sweet dark malts, mellow coffee, and vanilla beans but nothing overtakes anything else. Each has its own part to play on the nose.

Thin to medium body.

The vanilla comes forward a b it more in the flavor, which it should considering they mention it on the label. But I also get a dry, earthy bitterness to seal the deal. Pleasant.

Poured into a Sam Adam's glass. Came to a nice head. I probably served it a little to cold for a Porter, haven't not let it warmed up enough to fully enjoy. Shared it with a buddy and we agreed that it was overall a very nice beer; maybe I'm rating it a little high. I tend to like porters and stouts.
I think maybe I rated it high because it was already in my head that I was going to enjoy this beer, and I did. I've only had a couple of Shed offerings and have enjoyed them both. I was surprised to see the other reviews did not give it higher marks. The one I had was a bomber, so hopefully that is why the other reviews were lower. I would not hesitate to give it a try if you come across it.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

The Shed Brewery - Nosedive, poured into a Fiddlehead snifter.

Look - Pours a thin viscosity brown and settles slightly translucent black with a small foamy head and good lacing.

Smell - Aroma is roasted malts with a blend of sweet vanilla.

Taste - Creamy body, nice balance between the malt and the vanilla. More malt sweet than robust. Some plum.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Sits cola roasted while the vanilla fades. Dry. Good drinkability.

Overall - Good brew, nice and creamy fora thin porter but perhaps not quite robust enough. Vanilla is sweet but fades and leaves at least a little char behind.

3.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A great brew glad we were able to enjoy this limited release porter.

On tap at Colitina Exit in Bradford VT.

22oz pours

dark dark dark

Roast malt and vanilla bean aroma

roast, coffee with a bit of vanilla lurking in the depths

medium body

luscious, a truly decent porter that is so smooth.

3.29/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I barely noticed this on the shelves. It's been a while since I've had a proper porter so why not?

Pours a dark brown with a one-finger head into my glass. It is brewed with vanilla, which can be either hit or miss.

Robust with a strong hint of vanilla upfront, possibly artificial. Bottle makes no mention. Secondary aromas are of cocoa and dark fruit.

Vanilla barely registers on the tongue, nearly overshadowed by cocoa and perhaps molasses. Again, this type of ale is always hit or miss depending on the brewery's individual effort(s).

Mouthfeel is slick and a bit creamy to boot, similar to a good oatmeal stout (which this is not). Goes down cleanly with only a touch of vanilla.

Very drinkable. I would probably pair it with a breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast. I'm no expert on food pairings but that is what I crave after drinking this. Pick it up before it's gone.

Nosedive from The Shed Brewery