Fresh Coast: BIPA | Ore Dock Brewing Company

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by joe1510 on 10-22-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 15
3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Ore Dock's Fresh Coast BIPA for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had a new beer from Ore Dock in awhile and i thought this one was worth taking a chance on, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a IPA glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design and it's a little eye catching. It poured an amber orange color that takes on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of chunky off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a big fruity aroma with nice tropical fruit and citrus aromas coming through with a little bit of a generic hop aroma in the background. Up next comes some estery Belgian yeast that has just a slight bit of funk to it and it imparts a little bit of banana and apple juice like aroma. Towards the ends comes the malts which just impart a little bit of a doughy aroma and some sweet malts. This beer has a good aroma, but I think the yeast could be a little cleaner.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity hops still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects, but they are not nearly as strong as they were in the aroma and they don't have that juicy aspect anymore. Up next comes more of a cleaner yeast flavor this time with the malts showing up next and they show up more than they did in the aroma and they impart a grainy, sweet malt and pale malt like flavors. On the finish there's a hardly any bitterness with a slightly fruity hop aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but it's much lighter than I was hoping for and lighter than the aroma led me to believe.

M- Smooth, slightly refreshing, crisp, clean, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an average example of the style, for a belgian IPA it was pretty light on the hops and Belgian yeast flavors and that made it pretty average for a Belgian IPA when none of those key flavors shined. This beer had ok drinkability, it's smooth, but the taste doesn't hold my attention so one is enough for me. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and aroma, they are easily the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the taste, it's just much blander than I was hoping for. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't a fan of this one, it wasn't horrible and it didn't really have any off flavors, but it didn't really deliver when it comes to the style. It's one of my least favorite beers from this brewery and it's average at best for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

Fresh Coast: BIPA from Ore Dock Brewing Company