Lil’ Red Sour Cherry Berliner Weisse | Parallel 49 Brewing Company

British Columbia, Canada
parallel49brewing.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Day 7 Seasons Greetings

Sometimes you get terrible Christmas presents but our sour cherry Berliner Weisse isn't one that you'll have to regift to your bratty sibling.

Added by Derek on 08-08-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.74/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Parallel 49 Brewing 'Lil Red' @ 4.0% , served from a 341 ml bottle Day 7 Seasons Greetings
A-pour is pink from the bottle to a clear pink in the glass with a little white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint
S-wheat
T-cherry flavoured/sour wheat beer
MF-ok/mild carbonation , light bodied
Ov-just barely an ok beer
prost LampertLand

3.5/5  rDev +7%

4.25/5  rDev +30%

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.94/5  rDev -10.1%

3.65/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.48/5  rDev -54.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

341ml bottle, day 7 of the 2016 Seasons Greetings holiday mixer from Parallel 49 and Central City - I like her mistletoe earrings.

This beer pours a clear, pale salmon amber colour, with one finger of puffy, very loosely foamy, and fizzy pink-tinged head, which leaves very little in the way of lace anywhere near the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of musty and slightly sour cherries, grainy and crackery pale malt, the wheat crackers that my toddler ate his weight in last night as a 'snack', a softly funky yeastiness, stale lemons, and an indeterminate earthy bitterness. The taste is gritty and grainy pale malt, some edgy wheatiness, a much lessened tart cherry essence, some growing lemon acerbity, consistent yeasty funk, and more rather weak leafy, earthy, and floral green hoppiness.

The carbonation is quite understated in its merely supportive frothiness, the body a so-so medium weight, and smooth enough, I suppose, at least for this sort of thing. It finishes off-dry, the malt and mixed fruity esters not really leaning that heavily towards the sour/tart end of the spectrum.

Overall, this is a serviceable version of a fruit or Berliner Weisse beer, but together there seems to be something lacking - let's just call it character. Halfway through a small offering and I'm getting bored watching myself type, so that should tell you all you need to know here.

4.48/5  rDev +37%

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

1.28/5  rDev -60.9%

Mmmm....burned plastic. Need I say more? I normally don't bother reviewing stuff, but this one made me make an exception, mainly to warn others. This is the 2013 batch, not sure if there are/will-be others so YMMV. Not sure what exactly went wrong here, I do remember that this tasted like one of the 'off' flavours from the sensory course I took a while back.

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

3.5/5  rDev +7%

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy and red. I almost want to say pink, but it's more of a pale red, if that makes sense. About a finger of head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving just a bit of lacing around the rim of the glass.
S: Hm. A hint of something sour and fruity. I'm not sure I would be able to tell it were cherry from the smell - I'm picking up a more general red fruit/berry smell.
T: While most fruit beers are sweet, and sometimes sickeningly so, this is tart, sour and crisp.
F: A bit thin and very bubbly.

1.96/5  rDev -40.1%

I am a pretty big fan of Parallel 49's stuff. Seeing that they had a sour cherry in this style made me so pleased that I just had to buy it...and that was as far as my excitement went. I'm not entirely sure if I got an off bottle or not, but reading reviews on other websites, I'm going to guess that, no, I did not. Something funky happened with this beer and I'm not sure what.

A - It was really pretty. Poured a nice hazy red color; pretty much what I expected.

S - This is where it began to go downhill for me. The smell was so off-putting that I almost didn't even want to put it into my mouth. No cherry on the nose for me, or anyone else that I allowed to give it a try. Sort of smelled like really bad rotten fruit mixed with sour ocean water?

T - Even worse than the smell. Again, it was rotten fruit, with sea water. Kind of reminded me of how I imagine decaying barnacles might taste like. If they rolled in fruit first.

M - Probably it's only redeeming quality. Was smooth and could have been easy to drink if it wasn't as foul as it was.

O - I wasn't really expecting anything from this beer when I bought it. I'd hoped for cherry, but it wasn't there. It almost feels like something happened with the yeast. I MIGHT try another bottle since it was cheap ($5.50) or try to find a sample on tap somewhere and then edit this review. But for now, I would definitely not recommend this beer to anyone. If you can pass it around a circle of metal heads who are all up on their beer and every single person in the group either spat it out or would have rather washed it down with some pil, there's an issue.

Keep in mind that this brewery IS a good brewer though. Just this one went really really wrong.

2.66/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast