La Dragonne | BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

good
La DragonneLa Dragonne

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)
Switzerland
brasseriebfm.ch

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by ggaughan on 06-08-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.09/5  rDev -38.7%

What a disappointment. I like mulled wine and was intrigued by the idea of a hot beer on a cold night (it was actually 70 degrees outside but I have a good imagination). I served the beer per the instructions on the bottle and was rewarded with a shot of cough syrup. I tasted honey and anise for the most part but the effect was medicinal rather than flavorful. Mouth feel was almost oily. I could only manage a few sips before passing it around the table.

However, the neophyte beer drinkers at the table liked it. They generally prefer red wine to beer and when they do drink beer it tends toward the sweet side. To each his own.

I was very disappointed in the flavor and the experience of La Dragonne but at least I can say that I've had an apres ski Swedish beer. I'll stick to Swedish heavy metal in the future.

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.56/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'd recommend heating it up past 150. It's what it is, a mulled beer. Just like traditional hotwein, it's brewed with star anise, cinnamon, cloves, etc. It tastes very good, but I'd score it a lot higher for the experience. The first hot beer I've ever had (and only $5 for a 750)

4.02/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Smooth and tasty warmed up.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is black when viewed from afar; when held up to the light the edges are clear dark red in color. It poured with a short off white head that died down rather quickly, leaving a collar consisting of large bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of holiday spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg are present in the nose.
T: As in the smell, the taste has flavors of holiday spices along with bits of dark fruits and subtle hints of sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The finish of this beer is a disappearing act and quickly fades away. This would be a good beer to warm up and drink on a cold winter night.

3.92/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Per the instructions, I heated this one to 110 degrees - I'd recommend this. Pours two shades shy of black with no head. Nose is pretty much all mulled wine - cinnamon, booze and cardamon. Characteristics present in the nose are also present in the flavor profile; however, there's also a figgy/bready character, as well as notes of black licorice. Mouthfeel is light in body and slightly acidic with an almost still carbonation. All and all, this beer is not really in my wheelhouse but I respect it for what it is. If you like mulled wine, this beer is well worth a try. Share amongst several friends - a little goes a long way.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.06/5  rDev -10.3%

Cold pour.

Pours dark red min head.

Smell cinnamon and gingerbread!

Taste thick, gingerbread, bitter but not a good beer bitter.

Very boozy. Literally liquid gingerbread with a side of cherry cough syrup.

Hot pour.

Dark red/black with min head, large bubbles, chocolatey head.

Smells like a stocking, gingerbread, candy cane, fruit and spice.

Taste strong. strong licorice. That’s really all I can get is liquid black licorice. Somewhat drinkable. Not worth it, but the smell and experience might be worth it to some. Horrible beer though, cough drop.

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

Served at the Monk's Cafe Beers of the Cellar event, we did not warm the beer to extreme temperatures. It pours out black devoid of head. The smell is like paint. So sweet, spicy and offensive, and smoky. Gingerbread. It tastes very spicy and sweet. Mellowed from age so the bite is gone. I'm not a spice fan. Light body and decently drinkable, the aftertaste gets me a bit. Glad I tried it, would skip again unless it was heated up!

1.63/5  rDev -52.2%

I really, really wanted to like this beer. The idea of warming this up and serving it like a hot mulled wine or cider on a cold winter night seemed so romantic.

When pouring it looks like coffee. When tasting it it tastes like one of those herbal caffeine-free coffee replacements. Teccino springs to mind.

I'm sure that there are people who like this drink. Maybe if you'd grown up with it. I could not get past the bitter qualities of the drink. In fact five sips was the best I could muster and I had to pour the rest down the drain. My wife wouldn't even attempt a single sip after watching my reactions. I was wondering if I actually did something wrong in the heating process. It was very difficult even with small sips.

I would try this again if it were prepared for me while on holiday in Switzerland and prepared by someone that was Swiss. Just for the full effect. However, I'd be very leery of it. Perhaps in that setting I'd be able to look past the notes that I didn't particularly care for.

This is only the third beer in my life I can remember pouring down the sink. Generally I'll drink just about any beer even if I'm not thrilled about it.

Without knowing what my score is going to come out to I would imagine this beer will maintain my lowest score for some time.

It's probably that I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate this beer. Usually I can at least appreciate a beer that is not necessarily my style. This one, unfortunately, is beyond my appreciation.

2.13/5  rDev -37.5%

From notes:

I heated this up as per the instructions to the recommended 120 degrees. Pours a dark chocolate brown, almost black color with a thin chestnut brown ring.

Slightly roasted aroma with lots of spice, alcohol and dark berries. Hints of pepper, clove and anise as well as some plum, raisin and grape.

Full bodied, thick and syrupy with a very prominent spice character along with hints of dark berries and astringent alcohol. There is some subtle citrus complimenting the dark fruit notes. Hints of currant, plum and raisin as well as a very prominent anise flavor that overpowers the rest of the beer. Although the beer is only 7.5%, the alcohol presence is strong and off putting.

I'm not sure what this beer tastes like cold but heating it up seems more like a novelty than anything else. It tastes mostly like an alcoholic herbal tea. I was intrigued by the idea but it didn't really work.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle from the Brick Store heated to 120 deg F and served at about 100 deg F out of a vacuum thermos.

Pours black with dark ruby highlights and no head due to the heat. Swirling the glass leaves decent legs.

Smells of anise, syrupy brown sugar, raisins and plums. It's also got a slight floral aroma that fades along with the anise aroma as it cools.

Tastes good. Syrupy molasses and brown sugar flavors up front are joined by good amounts of anise and other assorted spices shortly. Midway through the sip dark fruit flavors kick in - plums and raisins as with the smell. The ending is definitely on the sweet side and leaves hints of anise lingering.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with mild carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass with no problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was an interesting beer that held the heat well. I couldn't drink more than one of these in one sitting due to the sweetness but every now and then I could revisit this, especially on a colder day.

4.54/5  rDev +33.1%

Appearance: Sans carbonation, it looks like prune juice; chocolatey brown with just a hint of purple

Smell: What a lovely aroma! All kinds of things in there, including cinnamon, anise, dark fruit, Ricola herb cough drops, clove, coriander, prune and God knows what else

Taste: After a brief flirtation with sweet dark fruit flavor, the herbal elements kick in to provide all matter of cinnamon, anise, clove, coriander and juniper spice around the chocolate, prune and date flavors; a hint of menthol in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, just slightly syrupy

Drinkability: Lots of fun to consume; just wish it was a bit colder now to drink around the fire

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

1/10/09
Isaac Newtons, Newtown Pa.

La Dragonne Hot Spiced Ale
Dark Mild Winter Ale brewed with spices and honey.

Known as the Swiss after ski Ale

Appearance: Dark dark brown, zero head, turbid and murky.

Aroma: Warm with a very cinnamon raison bread nose. strong warm alcohol aroma and no hop sign detected.

Taste: exactly like warm Cinnamon Bread toast with butter... sweet, dark malts, warming alcohol and a strong raisoney flavor. I did not recognize the star anise, orange peel, cardamom or juniper berries listed on the label but i did subtly detect clove.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied but not overwhelming despite the lack of carbonation.

Finish: Very smooth and somewhat dry at the finish, the warm sensation is unique and the overall taste leaves you questioning what it is your sipping on. It was not cloying but something I wouldn't have often. Best appreciated on cold nights with friends, as well as after skiing as the label states.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

My C/S host here in Anchorage, AK is a member of the counter culture at La Bodega, meaning that she is the person at the counter when it becomes pay up and get out time. That being the case, I had ample time to just wander aimlessly (seemingly) throughout the store today, finding those things that I really wanted to try. "15% off" always gets my attention, especially when TheLongBeachBum apparently had a problem with the original retail price. Many thanks to Jackie for taking a wandering beer bum to work.

It turned out to be a good fit for a cloudy, overcast, cool day in AK. It would be tough to review this like a standard beer, but as a frustrated cook, I have mulled both Quel'que Chose and Liefman's Gluekriek in a double boiler before, so the concept was not foreign.

The color was a deep, dark brown, like coffee with no head, as was to be expected. The nose was a combination of anise, and herbs, like a Riccola throat lozenge. The mouthfeel was medium with a riot of flavors that included licorice, caramel, dark chocolate, plum, cinnamon, that same herbal quality that I noted on the nose, and sour cherry. Finish had a lingering cherry/anise flavor. It was like Christmas in July in Alaska! What a find! This was their last bottle, though. That and one bottle between the two of us was probably enough to satisfy that (previously non-existent) jones. Still, between the cool atmosphere, the good company and my desire to try something new, this was a good fit. Definitely keep it in mind for the coming winter months.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
La Dragonne from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)