Tavern Pale Ale | Ruhlman Brewery

Tavern Pale AleTavern Pale Ale

Ruhlman Brewery
Maryland, United States
ourales.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by tugdriver7 on 03-24-2013

1.25/5  rDev -52.1%

1.75/5  rDev -33%

1.69/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Local beer so I wanted to like it but it is strange. Much darker then your average pale ale, brown and cloudy. Not sure I would even classify it as a pale ale, more like a sour brown ale. Smells sour, website says they use cascade for aroma but I am not getting any of that. Taste tart with a unusual burnt malt flavor, maybe the chocolate malt. Light bitterness that lingers, no citrus or grapefruityness that I would normally expect from cascade. Overall not great and hard to define, I think it's an unusual combination or something. Taste better when poured into a glass.

2.87/5  rDev +10%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had high hopes for this and eagerly purchased a 12 pack from the local store. Poured a somewhat opaque dark amber to brown in the glass. Large head that overflowed the glass and left rich lacing all the way down. Subtle hint of biscuity malt and a slight bitter hops in the nose. Ample carbonation at first, though it all settled down after a few sips. Initial flavor was fresh toasted malt, a hint of Belgian-like sour that faded quickly into a rich, bitter hops flavor (Saaz? Fuggles?). Definitly no "citrus" or "floral" flavors here. Overall, similar but not mild like an English bitter and not straightforward "sour" like some Belgians; rather a very unique earthy and somewhat spicy hops profile that, while difficult to put my finger on it, was pleasant and drinkable but unusual. With hops grown on a local farm and brewed just a few minutes from my house, it was fresh tasting and drinkable. I can't seem to get over the mild tartness, however, as it reminds me of a homebrew I made that was intended as an amber ale but took on some unusual sour notes after bottling. The unusual carbonation is also reminiscent of a beer that may not be holding up well in the bottle. Unfortunately, the brewer hasn't put any description of the beer on their web page so it's difficult to know if the off flavors are intended or not. Again, they're not bad, just unique.

Tavern Pale Ale from Ruhlman Brewery