Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Lemon Wheat | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by EgadBananas on 04-12-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 212
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Alright! Abita Lemon comin' at ya.

Pours a hazy straw color, could be confused with an adjunct lager were it not for the wheat haze. Head is porous, giant, fluffy, 3 fingers. Perfect for a wheat beer. I was going to give it a lower score, but held up to the light the wheat particles are so lovely floating within the body that I had to give this category props.

Aroma is mostly of stale white bread and at a faint second place, lemon drop candy. It largely smells beery, and by that I mean lots of stale grain and adjuncts.

Flavor is less than impressive but drinkable. Grains steeped in lemon juice, a touch of stale summer wheat, and a faint hop flavor trailing off. It's just very underwhelming.

Feel is decent for an unfiltered wheat. It has the characteristics of creamy density and a slight smooth graininess with a crispy finish. No qualms here.

Overall it's about what I expected. I was not expecting this beer to blow me out of the water (no Abita beer does), but it's probably fabulous for pounding on a summer's day. That being said, still many better choices out there. Glad to see it's not really on shelves anymore.

3.08/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Actually surprised on this beer. We took the abita brewery tour and I tried this on draft. Great sweet lemony summer time smell. Pours a light hazy yellow. Soapy white head. But the taste was a pleasant light hoppy lemony refreshing bite. I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to. Couldn't drink a 6er on it but def wouldn't mind one here and there on a hot summer afternoon after some lawn work.

4.5/5  rDev +34.3%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, golden, slightly amber color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with notes of toasted wheat and lemony citrus, as well as honey, and touches of black pepper, banana, clove, pineapple and ginger. There is none of the typical wheat beer-like aromas of bubblegum or band-aids, thankfully.

Taste: Nice flavors of toasted wheat, honey-like sweetness, lemony citrus, and touches of black pepper, clove, ginger and coriander. Again, there is none of the typical wheat beer-like flavors of bubblegum or band-aids, thankfully.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, and very smooth and creamy as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: For a wheat beer, this is really, really, good! It’s more citrusy and sweet than wheaty, which I enjoyed. I’ll certainly get this again.

2.76/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. Variety Pack box says Best By 12/10/14.

A- Pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a 1/4 inch white head that doesn't retain long before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a large center patch of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind.

S- Aroma of lemon dish soap and has some artificial-smelling spice to it as well. Slightly sweet.

T- Flavor has much of the same as found in the the aroma plus some bready wheat malt. The lemon is so overbearing, it's hard to drink. Has a lemon shandy quality to it but not in a good way.

M- Slight tingle from the medium carbonation and has a light body.

O- This may be the new winner for worst Abita beer I've ever had. I didn't pour any down the drain but the thought certainly crossed my mind.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On-tap 8/17/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light hazy yellow color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains lemon, wheat, spices, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of spice. Then some bready flavors of wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character come in. The hops presence is very mild and provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly spicy.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a decent beer to drink for a while.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Moderately hazy yellow body, air white cap with OK lacing. 3.75

S/T - Tart lemon peel touch of wheat sweetness to balance it out. 3.75

M - Light and refreshing 3.75

O - Solid, refreshing beer. Nothing too challenging but quenches some thirst

3.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A very light and refreshing beer. It would be perfect for summer day drinking. The citrus isn't overpowering and you get a hint of wheat. My only complaint would be a bitter taste similar to an Italian bitter soda, like the Beverly Italian soda Coca-Cola used to make. I'm unsure if the bitterness came from the citrus or something else in the beer itself.

3.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I wanted to like this one more, but I just couldn't really get excited about it. It has the flavors you would expect, wheat, lemon, and hops. It actually has a quite prominent lemon flavor too. The aspect that keeps me from rating higher though is that it tastes artificial in regards to the lemon. It is also quite thin and watery, which seems to be a trend with many Abita beers to me. I like my beers to have a high level of drink ability, but the watery nature maybe takes it a little too far.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Slightly hazy golden yellow pour with light carbonation and a small white head. Aroma smells of lemon zest and yeast. Taste is mildly tart with lemon standing out. Light body also has some flavors of bread and light spice. Finishes with a slight lemon tartness.

2.68/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

I don't know why I even bought this, aside from filling up my mixed sixer. It pours a hazy amber-straw topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises weak and thoroughly-artificial lemon, excess sugar, and mild white bread. The taste smacks of white bread dipped in watered-down Crystal Light lemonade. Yupper-doo. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this was just plain bad, underwhelming in every conceivable way. When are we gonna stop getting half-assed "flavored" seasonals?

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 10/22/2013. Pours moderately hazy/cloudy bright golden color with a 2 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of lemon zest, orange zest, floral, grass, wheat, bread, light honey, light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of lemon, hop, malt, and yeast ester notes; with solid strength, a bit perfumey. Taste of lemon zest, orange zest, pear, wheat, bread, cracker, floral, grass, light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of lemon zest, orange zest, wheat, bread, cracker, floral, grass, light pepper, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and robustness of lemon zest, malt, hop, and yeast ester notes; with no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a slightly creamy, smooth, and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish. Overall this is a pretty good wheat ale. Good balance and robustness of flavors; and very smooth a crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.27/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Cloudy yellow, two finger head that doesn't last long, some carbonation

S-Ehh. Artificial lemon with slight wheat. Nothing else.

T-Artifical lemon. Bland wheat. No bitterness. No hops.

M-Light, not carbonation, watery.

O-Picked up to round out a mix-a-six for the discount. This beer was essentially free but man it was not overly enjoyable. Abita went way wrong on this.

3.47/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Probably gonna hate this, but picked it up as part of a mixed sixer, so what the hell?

Pours a slightly hazed straw color with 3+ fingers of pearl colored head. Good lacing & above average head retention

S: Lemon & grassiness, plus perfumy notes

T: Slight lemon taste, grassiness & a bit of breadynesss up front. Light lemon notes, faint grainy notes as this warms. Finishes lemony, grainy & grassy

MF: Light bodied, fairly assertive carbonation

Easy to drink as a thrist quencher, but doesn't really hold my interest flavor-wise. Every once in a while these guys one I like, this is not one of them

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is hazy light yellow in color and has a high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that quickly died down but consistently left a short head covering the surface along with some large rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of lemons and wheat are present in the nose.
T: Initial flavors of wheat are followed by notes of lemons that linger in the finish. No sourness from the lemons is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer tastes like a standard pale wheat ale with some drops of lemon juice added to it.

3.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong lemon, wheat, slight sweet malt, slight yeast, and a hint of hops. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with a high carbonation level. Tastes of strong lemon, hint of hops, slight wheat, and a hint of yeast. Overall, lemon dominates initially and then quickly fades in both body and aroma, good appearance, but weak feel and blend.

2.82/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a tight, white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of some faint lemony notes and not much else.

Tastes of some faint lemon and wheat. Lemon notes lead off going into some slightly sharp wheat notes. A bit of sweetness comes in the middle.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is another mediocre American style wheat beer that doesn't deserve any attention.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a "stubby" 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Hazy straw color, with a moderate head of white foam.
Aroma-Faint lemon and wheat notes
Taste-Pilsner malt, wheat, lemon essence. Light and refreshing, sessionable. A nice match for lighter fare. Summer salads or a perch dinner come to mind.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden/whitish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very lemony. Taste is slightly tart, lots of lemons, just a touch of wheat, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent summertime beer.

2.99/5  rDev -10.7%

A lemon wheat with biere de garde yeast? Yes please! Lets see about the execution.

12 oz bottle pours a very hazed gold color with a large cap of fluffy white head. Unfortunately, it doesnt stay around long at all and leaves no lace.

Nose is light lemon and soft wheat. Where is the yeast? Where is the Centennial hops? I dont like where this is headed.

Taste shows a little of the bittering hops, but the lemon tastes unnatural and the wheat is soft and lifeless...lacks a zesty snappiness found in many other wheats. I am still disappointed in the lack of yeast presence...they might as well have used lager yeast for all the character in here. Mouthfeel has a light, fine carbonation that might have been better served with more bubbles. Its just ok, I was hoping for more. Will finish off my sixer, but wont be back for more.

3.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a glass

Appearance: Poured a cloudy yellow color, much like homemade lemonade. Minimal head, possibly my fault from a cautious pour. Minimal lacing.

Smell: I stuck my nose to it trying to hone in on the lemon, and it was easy to find, a little bread-like behind that.

Taste: Tastes like a beer first and foremost, which was well appreciated then subtle lemon and wheat. Very good. Taste like the actual lemon rather than the white part of the fruit or peel.

Mouth feel: Not too heavy or light, right in the acceptable middle. light to moderately carbonated.

Overall: I liked it, as a novel beer that would go with certain foods and would get a single again or happily buy a mixed pack with it in it ( as was the case this time) but probably would not want a whole sixer of the stuff. Would recommend for others to try, but this wouldn't be a go-to beer for me.

3.92/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Wow, brewed once and I found it among the singles at Monde Market in Philly on Thursday! I am a big fan of Abita and am really looking forward to this. Oooh, it marks my 2,300th review!

From the bottle: "Abita Lemon Wheat is a crisp, refreshing beer made with lemon peel for a fresh citrus taste and aroma. This unfiltered brew has a hazy, golden color and is made with lager and wheat malts, Centennial hops and Biere de Garde yeast."; "Abita [-] Live It, Love It."

It was like being at McDonald's from the moment I began the pour - I'm lovin' it! I got a massive two-plus fingers of dense, puffy, bone-white head that looked like the meringue above the lemon filling beneath it. Color was a very hazy lemon-yellow and I felt like I was looking at a cross-section of a lemon meringue pie! In my youth, I thought that I wanted to be a culinary artist, specializing in pastries, derailed by my military service, but I was a master of meringue in the day. The ladies would swoon when I showed up at the picnics we were invited to as a family and although I once preferred chocolate meringue pie, today I would go with lemon. The slight funk noted by HardTarget is really a by-product of the yeast, but it interacts well with the lemon zest, which was the secret to my pies. Zest is created by running the peel over a cheese grater and I would do this to the meringue just before putting it in the oven to brown. Tangy, slightly funky nose - yeah, I can imagine that this would not be to everyone's taste and my lips were beginning to pucker in anticipation, but I am all for it. Mouthfeel was a little thin, but the taste was so nice and lemony that now I wanted to swoon. It was tangy, slightly bitter, a little sour, and it completely bespoke the presence of lemons. I would love it if they put this in CANs for the summer and if you like Leinie's Summer (Lemon) Shandy (I don't), then you will love this! The low ABV and refreshing nature of it make it a great lawnmower beer as well as being sessionable. Try some, I doubt that you will be disappointed.

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy golden glass holds a white cover of foam that laces the glass with heavy curtains.

Smell: Gets a bit funky here, and I'm strangely happy to smell it. I brewed a Belgian Pale many moons ago that I dumped a ton of lemons in. I love lemons so was excited to try this one out. I ended up never drinking, but never tossing that batch of homebrew, it's bottled and aging in my closet. I never drank them because there was the hard core phenolic cloying medicinal (insert 12 other close but not quite right smells here) smell that I still hope will fade out with time; AND IT'S THE FUNK IN THIS BEER! I've searched for the cause of what I did wrong for years, and I didn't do anything wrong;- that's what lemons smell like in beer! It's not the citric zesty lemon most people think of and like, it's a perfumed cloying funkiness, almost dank and rotten, that's the lemons. I think that's why you don't see a lot of commercial lemon beers, the lemonade alcopops dump enough sweeteners to drown out that natural funkiness.
Can't give it a good score as it is a bit too funky to love, but I"m really happy to smell the insight it gave me.

Taste: A hint of the funk from above, but it's a ribbon in a refreshing, clean wheat beer, a bit down the Berliner Weiss road with the sweet/funk combo.

Mouthfeel: A bit rough in the texture, as it should be for a wheat, leaves a freshly scrubbed clean finish.

Overall: I like it. I can understand the lower scores as this isn't everyone's cup of tea, and being promised lemons and then given the funk, it puts people into a "burn your house down; with the lemons" mood.
Thanks to Illudium for the sample!

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: 1 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, cloudy

Smell: lemon rind and grain

Taste: lemon juice, grain, sweet wheat, and perhaps a touch of ginger

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, high carbonation

Overall: Very lemony, but wow what a sessionable beer. Found myself having a few of these over the holiday weekend. Goes down way to easy and is an improvement on several of Abita's other seasonal beers. Very good for the style.

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, this was a pleasant surprise.

Lemon Wheat looks and tastes like a good beer, and smells like a lemon head.

Seriously, the hazy gold and white, fluffy head (that has some stay) make it look like a bottle of liquid summer. And the taste brings a decently thick mouthfeel of tart, unripe lemons and wheat. Just delicious.

It's almost betrayed by the smell though. Think of those Minute Maid frozen lemonade things you get at baseball games, or how those little lemon candies taste. That's about right.

Fortunately it all balances pretty well. I would've expected a little more body and wheaty, malty flavors from a great beer, but this one's perfect for a hot, nasty afternoon. Good buy, for sure.

3.47/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I poured a glass into a pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy yellow color with a finger and a half worth of head. Decent retention with a fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Wheat malt and lemon zest.

Taste- Wheat malt flavor with a touch of lemon.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and very crisp. An average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A simple, good flavored beer. Not overly complex and refreshing.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Lemon Wheat from Abita Brewing Co.