Vanilla Bean Stout | Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
averybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

A double dose of vanilla derived from both fresh Bourbon barrels and the trio of Tongan, Ugandan, and Mexican whole vanilla beans is complemented by essences of chocolate, caramel and molasses to round out this luxuriously silky stout.

Added by Prospero on 01-24-2015

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

From a 650 ml bomber (undated) to a snifter. Reviewed from notes dated May 11, 2018.

A-The beer pours with a very short head of grey-tan foam. The head fades by the first sip a minute later and leaves no lacing or cap. It is an inky black brew with no carbonation to be seen. Ho hum looking.

S-The aroma is more impressive than the appearance. A nice toasted bread note mixes with toffee, caramel, cocoa powder, and a subtle charred bitterness. My bottle has been sitting in my fridge for a few months, so the vanilla has faded somewhat, but I am still surprised by how little vanilla I am sniffing here; it is there, but it is not strong for a beer with vanilla in the name.

T-The taste tracks closely to the smell. The beer has a toasted bread-y note that is unique for a stout, but pleasant nonetheless. I also taste some vanilla, oak, caramel, toffee, and a hint of root beer.

M-The feel is lighter than average for the style. Carbonation levels are moderate.

O-This is a decent beer and a great value. I would have expected more vanilla here, but perhaps I let my bottle sit too long. I'll have to pick up another next winter and reassess.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Avery Brewing Company "Vanilla Bean Stout"
1 PINT 6 FL OZ brown glass bottle; the ink-jet freshness dating has been almost completely worn off
$13.99 @ Wegmans, Collegeville, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Wow, I poured this, building a head, and then quickly took a sip as I had to tend to something quickly and damned if I didn't realize this was Bourbon barrel aged as well! I though it was just a vanilla stout. BONUS! But I'm ahead of myself so let me take a step back. It's got the typical "black" body and tan head of a stout. The head retention could be better, but it's OK, and the lacing is pretty nice. I wouldn't give it 4.25 status but it's a solid 4. The aroma is fantastic. I get Bourbon barrel, caramel, a suggestion of chocolate, and a hint of vanilla. I don't know how old this beer is but it can't be that old, can it? Maybe... and that might suggest why there's not so much vanilla in the nose, or not. And that reminds me why I bought this - vanilla beans are now a rarity, there's a shortage and prices are high, so high in fact that some breweries have stopped making beers they normally produce because of the cost. Which now has me thinking, how old is this... ? Because the vanilla bean shortage has been going on for at least a year. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about the missing freshness dating so I'll just have to review it as-is. And with that said, the aroma is quite pleasant and very smooth, and the flavor follows although I get much more vanilla there. I'm finding Bourbon and mild oak and vanilla atop notes of caramel, milk chocolate, and raisins. There's some coconut as well, but I'm only finding roastiness in the finish. What's there is like a cup of inexpensive mild black coffee. Overall I'm finding it very flavorful, but fairly mellow, and just a little bit sweetish. There's what seems like a moderate bitterness to it (so maybe it is aged), and just a touch of alcohol in the finish, just enough so that you know its there, that you're drinking a strong beer, which is pretty good considering it's 10.8%. I'd say that's really nicely done but now I'm wondering of that's because of it's age - and the thought just popped into my mind that I should go back and grab a few more of these as perfectly aged beers are hard to come by. OK, mouthfeel and then we'll wrap this up: medium bodied and gently crisp and smooth, almost even lighter than gently crisp - it seems almost naturally carbonated although I know it's not. Very nicely done on that side. So, overall, I'm pretty blown away. This beer hits on all cylinders except for "stout" roastiness, and I don't want to get into an argument about stouts and porters being the same because I understand and agree but at the same time I generally do expect a modern stout to have a little bit more roastiness than a porter and this is more at a porter level in my mind. And another thing is, maybe it was more roasty before but now that might have been aged out a little bit, I doubt it, but you never know. OMG, so smooth. It's a perfect night-cap or reading beer, but it would also serve equally well while watching a movie that holds your attention and you just sip at it here and there. Fantastic! I love it. Hopefully they'll make its again.
Review# 6,011
p.s. - I see they've used Tongan, Ugandan, and Mexican whole vanilla beans which seems like a very prudent idea, and one which gives me hope that they will brew it again.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz, bottled 05/26/17, shared with my wife. Pours jet black with a creamy tan head that fades to a foam. Aroma has vanilla laced with bourbon, chocolate, oak, and a heft of booze. Boozy flavors of bourbon and vanilla with notes of chocolate, roasted barley, raisin, plum, woody oak, caramel, and toasted coconut. Thick, full body, boozy and definitely a sipper. Excellent BA stout with plenty of vanilla!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Tinypalooza 3/24/2018

Hunahpu’s Day 2018

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I think the only thing disappointing about this Brew is the bourbon presencece. Also the body is kind of watery especially for such a big stout. Decent vanilla flavor with good stout body but I really couldn't see finishing more than 12 oz of it especially getting a bomber at around 18 bucks. Glad I was able to try it in a $6 pour.

Appearance: Totally black; thin light tan head that rims and islands

Aroma: Big vanilla; some roasted malt; chocolate; oak and bourbon

Taste: Starts bready and molasses; moves into huge vanilla notes, with some roasty flavors; finishes with chocolate, oak, vanilla, and a hint of malt; sweet throughout the whole thing

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied; creamy and smooth

Overall Impression: Almost a milk stout; the vanilla is really song, but the rest of the flavors of the stout are big enough to compensate; just a really tasty brew

From notes taken on 12/26/2017

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beer pours a coffee black with a small white head. The smell is bourdon, alcohol and a little vanilla. The flavor follows the smell a little harsh on the alcohol taste. Overall a little disappointed was hoping more for a Deconstructed Bomb vanilla flavor.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours very dark and thick into a glass, and it smells faintly of chocolate. The mouthfeel is the first thing the tongue notices: milky and rather viscous, it is the perfect consistency of a great stout: thick while not sticking to the throat. It tastes like many stouts do, of chocolate and slightly of coffee, though its sweetness will remind many of the vanilla that is advertised on its label.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%