Pale Ale | Bemidji Brewing Company, LLC

3.88 w/ 5 ratings

Bemidji Brewing Company, LLC
Minnesota, United States
bemidjibeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by ZAP on 11-20-2012

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Reviews by ZAP:
4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

A=Deep Gold...regal...creamy white head that retains and laces glass nicely as you drink it.

S-Really top notch....a lot of citrus....tangerines, oranges...also a good dose of tropical fruits (mangoes and papaya)..very fragrant....a posting on the original Pale Ale they brewed said it was dry hopped with a blend of ahtanum, cascade, and citra. I did not try the first batch and do not know if anything changed with this second batch. All I can say is the aroma is epic for a pale ale.

T-Much more balanced that the nose leads you to think it would be...still has a good dose of fruity hops (more tropical on the taste), but a sweeter, tasty maltiness really rounds this out...very balanced...a real nice drinker...

M-4.6% ABV but this is not thin bodied at all. I'd call it on the light side of medium bodied...perfect for a session beer..enough weight to keep it interesting. Bitterness is about perfect for me with a pale ale...I enjoy hop flavor more than pure bitterness so this is up my alley, but that is not to say there isn't some lingering bitterness on the long finish...kind of a slight unsweetened grapefruit type of finish.

O-The more I drink this, the more the toasted malts begin to carry the flavor (which I would not have thought possible when first smelling this)...it's almost a New Belgium like malt backing... As I get deeper into beer #3 I find myself wishing the hops would shine a little stronger on the taste...not bitterness wise but flavor wise....that would be the only slight adjustment I would suggest....The aroma is so awesome but the hop flavor does not match that....perhaps they wanted a more balanced flavor and that is fine too.

Overall this is a big-time APA...I would venture to say just about any craft beer fan would really like this and it probably would be a nice cross over beer for the Mich Amber Bock/Killians crowd who want to take the next step. Would rank in my top tier of APA's... probably in the top part of that tier too..

As I found with their porter there is nothing off. Very clean tasting. I only mention this because with the influx of new breweries over the past few years not all have been like this and I appreciate a quality, clean beer.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%