Genesee Cream Ale
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Score:
Ranked #50,205
3.09 | pDev: 20.06%
From:
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

New York, United States
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Notes: "Genny" Cream Ale.

Smooth like a lager. Crisp like an ale. Cream ale was one of the first beer styles created in america and ours has been the style standard since 1960. Our cream ale has won numerous awards throughout the years and remains just as smooth and flavorful as it's always been. Cream ale, a true American original.
View: Beers
Reviews: 612 | Ratings: 1,501 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
cjgiant from District of Columbia

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Very clear light golden with a nice top of white foam. The bubbles kept the top of the beer covered even after I started analyzing the next categories of smell and taste. They play into the feel as I get to the latter component where a nice amount of carbonation provides some interest and helps to clean up the beer after each sip.

Smell does have a bit of corn, but I am also getting some mineral and dry grass hop notes. There's a very light hint of red apple skins as well. There's an interesting mix of sweet and husk-like to dry grass bitterness when I take a sip. The sweetness surrounds the sides of my tongue while the carbonation seems to scrub it from the middle. This washing appears to give the (light and dry grass/herb) hops a place to take hold.

This is not a very bitter beer, but it is a bit more balanced than I expected. I think it might fit in as well or better light drinker than my current go to, Narragansett, though we'll see how I feel after another 5 and perhaps a comparison.

May 16, 2021
BuffaloBeerGuy

The quintessential working mans beer in Buffalo. I remember these in my old mans garage beer fridge right next to the regular genny. There was always a few Heinekens and Lowenbrau in there next to the Labatt Blue, Molson Canadian (special occasions like holidays had Molson Golden or Stock Ale). This was his go to beer in the summer. I remember him pouring it into one of those big German style tall glasses - this was the beer for a shot-and-a-beer guy after a shift at the steel plant (Kesslers, Canadian Club, VO). I still get comments from friends when they see my garage fridge stocked with it, but is is fantastic.

May 16, 2021
JPB1231000 from Georgia

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

I've been wanting to try this for YEARS.... I drank it in my teens with an Old fat Black man who had a Pool Hall in rural Ga whose name was 'FATS:...
Fat's was a Cool old ol Cat. At one time he had 13 wives when he was in New Orleans.. or so he and the black and white Pictures with him and 11 OTHER women than the two Wives that he told to go get them pictures seemed to indicate!!! One was with his two GA wives, Sweet P and Martha and the other Wives NAKED or in lingerie... The 2 wives used to sell us dime bags of reefer"
Should've seen it when they tried to sell LSD... We went back the next night, They was all naked said "come on IN ... Fatz don't give a damn bought no working tomorrow"
ANYWAY I like the beer!!!

Mar 13, 2021
CheapDate from New York

I wish it tasted like it did in 1971 when I had my first sip/glug of beer at eleven years old from my Dad's glass of Genny Cream while he relaxed in a vinyl lounge chair in the backyard as my brother and sister and I ran around in the hot summer sun and needed some water but my Dad's beer was closer and he let us have some. The foam touching my nose. The tiny bubbles rising up. The sweet, the bitter. A burp! I'm drinking a Genny Cream right now. Here's to you, Dad.

Mar 08, 2021
FridayDog from Tennessee

4.27/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It's got that real beer taste and flavor and smell. I like it's color, opacity, and viscosity. The nose is inclusive of wild fruits, herbs, and floral notes or maybe oak, roasted nuts, baking spices, vanilla, autumn leaves, old tobacco, cured leather, cedar, and even a hint of toasted coconut. The taste is both light and heavy at the same time. The flavor is a bit schizophrenic but not to the point that it would need a straight-jacket. Secondary aromas in this brew may come from the fermentation process (the yeast). A great example of this is the “sourdough” smell sometimes described as “bready” or “yeasty.” But in a good way. Not in the bad (yeast infection) kind of way. The tertiary (secondary) aromas are busy but never precocious.

Summation: a pretty good beer for the money

Mar 01, 2021
a_andersen from Massachusetts

3.4/5  rDev +10%

How can you not like this beer? This is the beer of summer BBQs, of hiking trips in the Adirondacks. Every sip reminds me of summer fun with notes of hay, stone, and pure excellence. Buy it the next time you find yourself north of Westchester Country and need 30 beers in a hurry.

Feb 01, 2021
odannyob from Colorado

3.78/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've wanted to give this here Cream Ale a few tastes for a while and being on sale at a nearby booze peddling establishment, have done did it. One of my sons asks me while I am a'tastin' it, "can you taste the cream in it?".
Exceptionally smooth. No, really. And with a fine beer smell, perhaps my favorite part of it. So, I pour a brown glass, green labeled 12 oz'er into a just cleaned-out footed pilsner glass and am enjoying a 2nd helping. Most definitely okay on the high side.

Dec 24, 2020
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

3.26/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought this at a grocery store in Salt Springs Florida at about $10 bucks for a 12 pack.
I haven't seen this on a shelf in The Southeast in like forever.
So of course I had to buy it.
Appears golden yellow with a rocky foamy head that dropped quickly to zero.
Smells lightly bready, sweet.
Taste follows the nose, vanilla hints.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style, with a nice creaminess.
Overall, a nice economy beer that I would definitely buy again.
My friend said this, "I thought it was a soda when I first sipped it." Sweet, inexpensive and good for the style.

Nov 28, 2020
Winzlow from Florida

2.21/5  rDev -28.5%

Would you, could you, in a house?
Would you, could you, with a mouse?
OK - Sam You Am...I tried it - and compared to what I remember this as - it is now awful.
It has a weird bitter/sour note that is just...well, weird.
Oh crap....I have a case of this...NOOOOoooooo!

Sep 18, 2020
JUMPER from Pennsylvania

3.78/5  rDev +22.3%

I hate to say it but when I came of drinking age (40 years ago) this was the biggest selling beer in our area. They used to have TV ads boasting that their one brewery makes it best. This was an obvious jab at the national beers that were now coming into our area. So it's been quite some time since I've tried a Jenny Cream Ale. Pours a straw yellow. Aroma is a mild grain or corn smell. It gets a nice fluffy head that leaves quickly but a bit does linger. The taste is unique from a time when each brewery actually had a taste of their own. First taste is that of a bit sweet after that a crisp beer flavor. After a couple you do get used to it's unique flavor. There is a small lacing on the glass. Bottom line at less than $15.00 a case this is a beer from a time when a brewery actually had a flavor of it's own.

Sep 11, 2020
DefenCorps from Oregon

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can from Whole Foods.

A clear light orange with a dense white head that falls off leaving little lacing, this looks solid. The nose is soft and sweet, mildly doughy, mildly honey like with a light floral hop character. Soft fruity notes from ale yeast? Simple but effective. The palate opens mildly sweet with dough, cream, a little toast, a light fruity note. Simple, pleasant and enjoyable, and what is even more impressive is that this beer doesn't seem lazy or lacking ; it's a pretty spot on representation of the style and it's intent while not lacking in flavor. Light bitterness with citrus fruitiness. Light in body, moderately carbonated, this beer finishes dry and with a lingering sweetness. Quite enjoyable.

Jul 27, 2020
Mark-Leggett from Missouri

3.27/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can. Straw in color with a decent sized head and some lacing. Not much on the nose, malt maybe. Flavors are bread and a slightly sweet corn hit. Smooth mouth feel. Not bad.

May 27, 2020
LongIslandBrews from New York

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Genny Cream. The classic. Much better than other beers at this price point (I got a 30 rack for maybe 70 cents a can?), Genny never fails on a hot summer day. There's a vague creaminess and sweetness that accompany the crispness of the carbonation that make this a pleasant, if not unremarkable beer.
Easy to drink, maybe too easy. I haven't picked this up since imbibing way too many of them at a party last summer and barfing hard later that night. Maybe this summer we will meet again.

May 20, 2020
KurosawaKid

2.04/5  rDev -34%

Not a fan.
The can gives the cream ale a metallic and flat taste.
There's also a sharp bitter aftertaste that I can't get over.
2nd worst cream ale I've had.
Maybe I'd reevaluate if I had it on tap.

Feb 14, 2020
mikeinportc from New York

2.95/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Haven't had this in 25 years, at least. Time to give it another try.
From a 24oz can , marked G249 1115:54 , found in Wegman's walk-in cooler.

Pours deep gold with two fingers of white head. Dissipates to a 1/4" ring, with a thin layer across the surface. A few dots of lacing. Exactly what it is supposed to be - the only fault is that head only lasts about a minute.

Smell is doughy malt , with some faint floral and fruity aroma.

Taste is sour apple gum , though not sour - just a bit of tang + cream - as if tiniest dab of cream cheese touched a dried bit of Granny Smith apple , plus a little bit of bread crust . Though there is some mild bitterness throughout, it still comes across as mildly sweet.

Feel is light, with a mix of creaminess and sharp carbonation. Leaves some drying tang on the tongue, that becomes semi-numbing, and fades to a slight wet cardboard-like feel. (More like licking a paper towel roll, than the corrugated cardboard feel of most macros. ;) )

Overall , better than I remembered it, but still might be awhile before I try it again. Might be OK with spicy food, especially on a hot day. Otherwise......??? The first 6 oz was okay , but the rest was too much. My advice : drink it cold, drink it fast, & don't think about it. ;)

Jan 22, 2020
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +58.6%

I have heard a lot about this beer. Some fondness for this beer and outright hatred. Now comes the time I finally get the opportunity to try this sweet nectar. I must say, I expectations were set somewhere in the middle of all the love and hate. I would start things off with the looks However, I drank this strait from the can. There is no reason to not enjoy this from the can. Its a Beer made for Drinking. Don't fuss about the looks. Green Can looks "generic" and "unsuspecting". Maybe nobody knows you're having yourself a Beer. Moving on to the smell. I enjoy the aroma. I get from this ale. Very calm notes of sweet lightly toasted malt. Hints of vanilla in some way that I can't explain. Velvety richness in the nose that reminds me of a English bitter and belgian wheit beir. To sum up the aroma, its like a combination of Foster's and Bluemoon. Now lets talk about the taste. Right off the starting gate, A very plain hop chariter hits you. Its not exactly bitter, at the same time its sort-of hop spice. the upfront note is what you expect from a American Adjunct lager's finish. Its like this beer wants you to experience it in reverse order. The tangy hop flavor moves towards a sweet maltiness and distinct English Ale character. Very nice Honey scrumptiousness. The flavor of this beer is like you mixed several ales together. Okay, Now for the feel. This beer is Creamy and that's what I love about it. Gene lives up to her name, "Cream Ale". There is a nice thickness and fullness to this beer that satisfies me. Its carbonated to a degree with a medium to heavy body. Overall, This beer is worth a try. I enjoyed mine with my dinner. awesome beer made for drinking.

Jan 04, 2020
Gripnrip207 from Vermont

3.04/5  rDev -1.6%

Oh genny cream. Smooth like a Lager, crisp like an ale. Grab the giant green case at the local Walmart labeled “cream ale”. Dehydrated pee adjunct ale color. Pillowy white head which disipates quickly. Smell is corny, a little acrid, soled hayledge, some apple sweetness. Taste is similar, some corn, some apple, some barnyard funk. Highly carbonated, smooth almost viscous texture. Goes down really easy, per its intention.
Great when you are on a budget. Holds it’s own for category, but not a great beer.

Dec 19, 2019
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.45/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From the very large can, it pours a clear yellow amber with a nice white head that lasts longer than normal for an American lager. Somewhat grainy scent, not unpleasant. Flavor is light, a touch malty and very smooth drinking. The can was gone before I knew it.

Dec 03, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

24oz can stamped H088 1122:40 poured into a shaker pint at fridge temp, no ABV listed on can. The beer pours mostly bright straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a pencil thin ring and island. The aroma is slightly sweet and corny. The taste is mostly nuetral with some vegetable tinted grain and little bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with average carbonation and a semi dry finish. There are some fruity & buttery notes on the finish that aren't particularly enjoyable, but aren't way off base for the style. Overall, good cream ale. Thanks @woodychandler

Aug 30, 2019
PhantomWolf from Pennsylvania

3.66/5  rDev +18.4%

Smooth pour with a foamy white head that settles far too quickly. Same pale amber hue as any other American standard. Smells of honey, hay, and attic dust. I love the cans. Some may not care, but I am sentimental by natural and aesthetics affect how I enjoy what's inside. Carbonation isn't as tight as I like. Certainly will not be mistaken for champagne. The flavour is light toasted sugar and cereal. There is nothing here that screams 'must try', but if my buddy was light on cash and needed to fill his fridge, this beer is among the first to come to mind. Best from the can. Ice cold and preferably next to a campfire.

Aug 20, 2019
Bluecrow from New York

3.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

-clear pale amber can pour with a thin foam cap. The aroma is hay-like. The flavor is pleasant, woody notes and and a bit of sweet grass. The mouthfeel is very smooth. The body is light.

Aug 12, 2019
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.91/5  rDev +26.5%

(24 oz can, B049 code, 5.2% abv; purchased cold... poured into 28 oz mug, in several stages)

L: clear, pale yellow-amber liquid; tight, frothy, rocky sponge of white foam, built high above the juice - looks purdy, crumbles slowly, laces thin but crusty

S: doughy malt; slight grassy, citrus peel brightness on the edges... intensity mellow; cookie-like edge develops

T: adjunct lager approach, but with a bit of a nutty-cookie undertone, though not all that sweet... aftertaste has hints of toasty grain, mellow grassy bitterness... long malty finish; mellow fresh-malt flavor builds on palate, as does a mild metallic note

F: plush, almost silky flow; soft tickle of suds... while a residual film is left behind, the finish drops off quietly, and there's even a touch of warmth at the back

O: this is at least my third time trying this... obvious differences between this and SC, but the similarities are also interesting... I could see getting one of these more often - it's not a thin and lifeless as an adjunct lager, but not as taxing as some malt liquors can be (1413)

Jul 21, 2019
Beertsipper from New York

3.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$10.99 for a case of 24 cans. No date on the can. Pours a straw yellow with a big white head that fades quickly off an aggressive pour into a shaker pint glass. Nose is corn, adjuncts, rice, grains, and hops. Taste follows the nose. A faint hop bite at the finish. Mouthfeel is light and watery with medium carbonation. This is one of the best cheap beers you can get your hands on and is perfect for a hot summer day.

Jul 06, 2019
Monarch_Black from Pennsylvania

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

This is my go-to cheap beer. This beer has a clear straw look. It isn't very aromatic. It has a nice, crisp bready taste. This is usually less than $15 a 30-pack. I'd much rather have this than most of the macro-brewery lagers in the US. Very drinkable. Great tailgate, summer day or when you want bulk without breaking the bank brew. I will get beers that are twice as much or more, but always come back for when I just want beer without breaking the bank. I'd say half the beer I buy is this, and the other half is distributed amongst the "good" beers. If you just want beer, you will be better with this than a Bu****ser.

Jun 23, 2019
Sgt_1991 from Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good light drinkable ale. First cream ale and I absolutely loved it. Nothing short of excellent. Love the taste and love the style. Got 2/$1 got to find more. Very tasty and refreshing light almost lager style beer

Jun 16, 2019
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 1501 ratings