Genesee Cream Ale
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

New York, United States
Oct 17, 2001
SCORE
Okay
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Notes: "Genny" Cream Ale.

Smooth like a lager. Crisp like an ale. Cream ale was one of the first beer styles created in america and ours has been the style standard since 1960. Our cream ale has won numerous awards throughout the years and remains just as smooth and flavorful as it's always been. Cream ale, a true American original.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.08/5  rDev 0%
by Billbug

Pours crystal clear with a minimal head that dissipates immediately. Semi sweet and heavily carbonated with very fine bubbles giving it a zing sort of sensation to the mouth. Very typical adjunct brew that will do the job on a hot summer day. Growing up this was sort of an underdog brew.The Bud drinkers would give you the stink eye when you brought it to the party but I didn't care.

Apr 18, 2022
3.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by AlfromPA from Pennsylvania

Drank quite a few of these as a grad student in Buffalo in the mid 1970s. Coming from Wisconsin, where ale was virtually nonexistent, this seemed to have a more robust flavor. Today of course it seems barely distinguishable from a garden variety AAL.

Apr 07, 2022
3.15/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3
by tekstr1der from New Hampshire

Going to college in upstate near the brewery, many nights we peed upstream in the river from which we thought they sourced the water for this stuff. And, we still drank it on the regular. I always thought this one was special due to the smooth mouthfeel. Easy drinking.

Mar 31, 2022
3.03/5  rDev -1.6%
by hankp59 from New York

Standard American lager. Smells of malt and a hint of sweetness. Medium amber in color and a quickly disappearing head. Middle of the road adjunct lager flavors showing sweetness over hops. Descent bubbles giving it a creamy mouthfeel. It is refreshing and worth the trip vs American adjuncts.

Mar 30, 2022
3.07/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
by LucaDiCriscio from Pennsylvania

Decent light beer. Very good price for what your getting. Wish they made tallboys of these maybe they do but I haven't seen them. Doesn't taste like metal or alcohol so it's good for a cheap beer.

Feb 20, 2022
3.79/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by NeutroMan from Illinois

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Clear pale straw color with a one-finger white head.

S: Corn adjunct, grassy hops, and just a bit of funk.

T: Tangy, almost peppermint-like sweetness predominates, complemented with some mild grassy hop bitterness.

F: Medium-light bodied, smooth and easy drinking.

Jan 01, 2022
3.76/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by Kevinski from Ohio

Half of the enjoyment of drinking a specific beer are the memories of youth and the younger days. This beer was unique and made you feel sophisticated as you were clutching the stubby bottle with the fancy green and gold trimmed label. Yes, you were standing around a camp fire drinking not just beer but Genny Cream Ale.

Dec 06, 2021

4.12 by cdub70085 from Connecticut on Sep 08, 2021

3.01 by Danzifer from Ohio on Aug 30, 2021
3.73/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by RuffReader from Texas

Looks amazing, with a nice thick, cuddly white foam and a matching mouthfeel. A tad on the sweet side for my tastes.

From a tall boy in a tall glass.

Aug 25, 2021

3.2 by HarlotBronte from District of Columbia on Aug 22, 2021
1.21/5  rDev -60.7%
by Justindjdahl

Really a terrible beer, cheap and disgusting from the gross polluted Genesee river into your toilet.

Jul 07, 2021
3.81/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75
by cjgiant from District of Columbia

Very clear light golden with a nice top of white foam. The bubbles kept the top of the beer covered even after I started analyzing the next categories of smell and taste. They play into the feel as I get to the latter component where a nice amount of carbonation provides some interest and helps to clean up the beer after each sip.

Smell does have a bit of corn, but I am also getting some mineral and dry grass hop notes. There's a very light hint of red apple skins as well. There's an interesting mix of sweet and husk-like to dry grass bitterness when I take a sip. The sweetness surrounds the sides of my tongue while the carbonation seems to scrub it from the middle. This washing appears to give the (light and dry grass/herb) hops a place to take hold.

This is not a very bitter beer, but it is a bit more balanced than I expected. I think it might fit in as well or better light drinker than my current go to, Narragansett, though we'll see how I feel after another 5 and perhaps a comparison.

May 16, 2021
by BuffaloBeerGuy

The quintessential working mans beer in Buffalo. I remember these in my old mans garage beer fridge right next to the regular genny. There was always a few Heinekens and Lowenbrau in there next to the Labatt Blue, Molson Canadian (special occasions like holidays had Molson Golden or Stock Ale). This was his go to beer in the summer. I remember him pouring it into one of those big German style tall glasses - this was the beer for a shot-and-a-beer guy after a shift at the steel plant (Kesslers, Canadian Club, VO). I still get comments from friends when they see my garage fridge stocked with it, but is is fantastic.

May 16, 2021
3.92/5  rDev +27.3%
by JPB1231000 from Georgia

I've been wanting to try this for YEARS.... I drank it in my teens with an Old fat Black man who had a Pool Hall in rural Ga whose name was 'FATS:...
Fat's was a Cool old ol Cat. At one time he had 13 wives when he was in New Orleans.. or so he and the black and white Pictures with him and 11 OTHER women than the two Wives that he told to go get them pictures seemed to indicate!!! One was with his two GA wives, Sweet P and Martha and the other Wives NAKED or in lingerie... The 2 wives used to sell us dime bags of reefer"
Should've seen it when they tried to sell LSD... We went back the next night, They was all naked said "come on IN ... Fatz don't give a damn bought no working tomorrow"
ANYWAY I like the beer!!!

Mar 13, 2021

3 by JohnG190 from New York on Mar 09, 2021
by CheapDate from New York

I wish it tasted like it did in 1971 when I had my first sip/glug of beer at eleven years old from my Dad's glass of Genny Cream while he relaxed in a vinyl lounge chair in the backyard as my brother and sister and I ran around in the hot summer sun and needed some water but my Dad's beer was closer and he let us have some. The foam touching my nose. The tiny bubbles rising up. The sweet, the bitter. A burp! I'm drinking a Genny Cream right now. Here's to you, Dad.

Mar 08, 2021
4.27/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by FridayDog from Tennessee

It's got that real beer taste and flavor and smell. I like it's color, opacity, and viscosity. The nose is inclusive of wild fruits, herbs, and floral notes or maybe oak, roasted nuts, baking spices, vanilla, autumn leaves, old tobacco, cured leather, cedar, and even a hint of toasted coconut. The taste is both light and heavy at the same time. The flavor is a bit schizophrenic but not to the point that it would need a straight-jacket. Secondary aromas in this brew may come from the fermentation process (the yeast). A great example of this is the “sourdough” smell sometimes described as “bready” or “yeasty.” But in a good way. Not in the bad (yeast infection) kind of way. The tertiary (secondary) aromas are busy but never precocious.

Summation: a pretty good beer for the money

Mar 01, 2021

3.81 by hybridentropy from Angola on Feb 20, 2021
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
by a_andersen from Massachusetts

How can you not like this beer? This is the beer of summer BBQs, of hiking trips in the Adirondacks. Every sip reminds me of summer fun with notes of hay, stone, and pure excellence. Buy it the next time you find yourself north of Westchester Country and need 30 beers in a hurry.

Feb 01, 2021
3.78/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by odannyob from Colorado

I've wanted to give this here Cream Ale a few tastes for a while and being on sale at a nearby booze peddling establishment, have done did it. One of my sons asks me while I am a'tastin' it, "can you taste the cream in it?".
Exceptionally smooth. No, really. And with a fine beer smell, perhaps my favorite part of it. So, I pour a brown glass, green labeled 12 oz'er into a just cleaned-out footed pilsner glass and am enjoying a 2nd helping. Most definitely okay on the high side.

Dec 24, 2020

3.91 by BrewsOverHoes from Georgia on Dec 22, 2020

3.53 by NastyNorseman from New York on Dec 02, 2020
3.26/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5
by Singlefinpin from North Carolina

Bought this at a grocery store in Salt Springs Florida at about $10 bucks for a 12 pack.
I haven't seen this on a shelf in The Southeast in like forever.
So of course I had to buy it.
Appears golden yellow with a rocky foamy head that dropped quickly to zero.
Smells lightly bready, sweet.
Taste follows the nose, vanilla hints.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style, with a nice creaminess.
Overall, a nice economy beer that I would definitely buy again.
My friend said this, "I thought it was a soda when I first sipped it." Sweet, inexpensive and good for the style.

Nov 28, 2020
3.58/5  rDev +16.2%
by crazyspicychef from Pennsylvania

My go to budget beer.
It is not bad, not great either.
$18/30pk cans.
Probably the best thing out there in that price range.

Oct 22, 2020

3.93 by plowe70 from New York on Oct 04, 2020
2.21/5  rDev -28.2%
by Winzlow from Florida

Would you, could you, in a house?
Would you, could you, with a mouse?
OK - Sam You Am...I tried it - and compared to what I remember this as - it is now awful.
It has a weird bitter/sour note that is just...well, weird.
Oh crap....I have a case of this...NOOOOoooooo!

Sep 18, 2020

3.35 by Mrseanworldwide from Ohio on Sep 17, 2020
3.78/5  rDev +22.7%
by JUMPER from Pennsylvania

I hate to say it but when I came of drinking age (40 years ago) this was the biggest selling beer in our area. They used to have TV ads boasting that their one brewery makes it best. This was an obvious jab at the national beers that were now coming into our area. So it's been quite some time since I've tried a Jenny Cream Ale. Pours a straw yellow. Aroma is a mild grain or corn smell. It gets a nice fluffy head that leaves quickly but a bit does linger. The taste is unique from a time when each brewery actually had a taste of their own. First taste is that of a bit sweet after that a crisp beer flavor. After a couple you do get used to it's unique flavor. There is a small lacing on the glass. Bottom line at less than $15.00 a case this is a beer from a time when a brewery actually had a flavor of it's own.

Sep 11, 2020
3.35/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by DefenCorps from Oregon

Can from Whole Foods.

A clear light orange with a dense white head that falls off leaving little lacing, this looks solid. The nose is soft and sweet, mildly doughy, mildly honey like with a light floral hop character. Soft fruity notes from ale yeast? Simple but effective. The palate opens mildly sweet with dough, cream, a little toast, a light fruity note. Simple, pleasant and enjoyable, and what is even more impressive is that this beer doesn't seem lazy or lacking ; it's a pretty spot on representation of the style and it's intent while not lacking in flavor. Light bitterness with citrus fruitiness. Light in body, moderately carbonated, this beer finishes dry and with a lingering sweetness. Quite enjoyable.

Jul 27, 2020

3.25 by Velivolus1 from Vermont on Jul 23, 2020
3.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by Mark-Leggett from Missouri

Poured from a can. Straw in color with a decent sized head and some lacing. Not much on the nose, malt maybe. Flavors are bread and a slightly sweet corn hit. Smooth mouth feel. Not bad.

May 27, 2020

3.27 by smi69 from New York on May 25, 2020
3.25/5  rDev +5.5%
by LongIslandBrews from New York

Genny Cream. The classic. Much better than other beers at this price point (I got a 30 rack for maybe 70 cents a can?), Genny never fails on a hot summer day. There's a vague creaminess and sweetness that accompany the crispness of the carbonation that make this a pleasant, if not unremarkable beer.
Easy to drink, maybe too easy. I haven't picked this up since imbibing way too many of them at a party last summer and barfing hard later that night. Maybe this summer we will meet again.

May 20, 2020

3.15 by kuhndog from New York on May 06, 2020

1.5 by RiceOwls27 from Texas on May 05, 2020

3.25 by Blogjackets from Ohio on Mar 20, 2020
2.04/5  rDev -33.8%
by KurosawaKid

Not a fan.
The can gives the cream ale a metallic and flat taste.
There's also a sharp bitter aftertaste that I can't get over.
2nd worst cream ale I've had.
Maybe I'd reevaluate if I had it on tap.

Feb 14, 2020
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 1514 ratings