Genesee Cream Ale
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Score:
Ranked #48,801
3.08 | pDev: 20.13%
From:
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

New York, United States
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
Notes: "Genny" Cream Ale.

Smooth like a lager. Crisp like an ale. Cream ale was one of the first beer styles created in america and ours has been the style standard since 1960. Our cream ale has won numerous awards throughout the years and remains just as smooth and flavorful as it's always been. Cream ale, a true American original.
View: Beers
Reviews: 602 | Ratings: 1,483 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DefenCorps from Oregon

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can from Whole Foods.

A clear light orange with a dense white head that falls off leaving little lacing, this looks solid. The nose is soft and sweet, mildly doughy, mildly honey like with a light floral hop character. Soft fruity notes from ale yeast? Simple but effective. The palate opens mildly sweet with dough, cream, a little toast, a light fruity note. Simple, pleasant and enjoyable, and what is even more impressive is that this beer doesn't seem lazy or lacking ; it's a pretty spot on representation of the style and it's intent while not lacking in flavor. Light bitterness with citrus fruitiness. Light in body, moderately carbonated, this beer finishes dry and with a lingering sweetness. Quite enjoyable.

Jul 27, 2020
Mark-Leggett from Missouri

3.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can. Straw in color with a decent sized head and some lacing. Not much on the nose, malt maybe. Flavors are bread and a slightly sweet corn hit. Smooth mouth feel. Not bad.

May 27, 2020
LongIslandBrews from New York

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Genny Cream. The classic. Much better than other beers at this price point (I got a 30 rack for maybe 70 cents a can?), Genny never fails on a hot summer day. There's a vague creaminess and sweetness that accompany the crispness of the carbonation that make this a pleasant, if not unremarkable beer.
Easy to drink, maybe too easy. I haven't picked this up since imbibing way too many of them at a party last summer and barfing hard later that night. Maybe this summer we will meet again.

May 20, 2020
KurosawaKid

2.04/5  rDev -33.8%

Not a fan.
The can gives the cream ale a metallic and flat taste.
There's also a sharp bitter aftertaste that I can't get over.
2nd worst cream ale I've had.
Maybe I'd reevaluate if I had it on tap.

Feb 14, 2020
mikeinportc from New York

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Haven't had this in 25 years, at least. Time to give it another try.
From a 24oz can , marked G249 1115:54 , found in Wegman's walk-in cooler.

Pours deep gold with two fingers of white head. Dissipates to a 1/4" ring, with a thin layer across the surface. A few dots of lacing. Exactly what it is supposed to be - the only fault is that head only lasts about a minute.

Smell is doughy malt , with some faint floral and fruity aroma.

Taste is sour apple gum , though not sour - just a bit of tang + cream - as if tiniest dab of cream cheese touched a dried bit of Granny Smith apple , plus a little bit of bread crust . Though there is some mild bitterness throughout, it still comes across as mildly sweet.

Feel is light, with a mix of creaminess and sharp carbonation. Leaves some drying tang on the tongue, that becomes semi-numbing, and fades to a slight wet cardboard-like feel. (More like licking a paper towel roll, than the corrugated cardboard feel of most macros. ;) ) Apparently on the high end , carbonation-wise, as a lot of it is coming back up. :()

Overall , better than I remembered it, but still might be another 25 years before I try it again. Might be OK with spicy food, especially as the first/only beer on a hot day. Otherwise......:0 The first 6 oz was okay , but the rest was too much. My advice : drink it cold, drink it fast, & don't think about it. ;)

Jan 22, 2020
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +59.1%

I have heard a lot about this beer. Some fondness for this beer and outright hatred. Now comes the time I finally get the opportunity to try this sweet nectar. I must say, I expectations were set somewhere in the middle of all the love and hate. I would start things off with the looks However, I drank this strait from the can. There is no reason to not enjoy this from the can. Its a Beer made for Drinking. Don't fuss about the looks. Green Can looks "generic" and "unsuspecting". Maybe nobody knows you're having yourself a Beer. Moving on to the smell. I enjoy the aroma. I get from this ale. Very calm notes of sweet lightly toasted malt. Hints of vanilla in some way that I can't explain. Velvety richness in the nose that reminds me of a English bitter and belgian wheit beir. To sum up the aroma, its like a combination of Foster's and Bluemoon. Now lets talk about the taste. Right off the starting gate, A very plain hop chariter hits you. Its not exactly bitter, at the same time its sort-of hop spice. the upfront note is what you expect from a American Adjunct lager's finish. Its like this beer wants you to experience it in reverse order. The tangy hop flavor moves towards a sweet maltiness and distinct English Ale character. Very nice Honey scrumptiousness. The flavor of this beer is like you mixed several ales together. Okay, Now for the feel. This beer is Creamy and that's what I love about it. Gene lives up to her name, "Cream Ale". There is a nice thickness and fullness to this beer that satisfies me. Its carbonated to a degree with a medium to heavy body. Overall, This beer is worth a try. I enjoyed mine with my dinner. awesome beer made for drinking.

Jan 04, 2020
Gripnrip207 from Vermont

3.04/5  rDev -1.3%

Oh genny cream. Smooth like a Lager, crisp like an ale. Grab the giant green case at the local Walmart, and grab the giant green box labeled “cream ale”. Dehydrated pee adjunct ale color. Pillowy white head which disipates quickly. Smell is corny, a little acrid, sole hayledge, some apple sweetness. Taste is similar, some corn, some apple, some barnyard funk. Highly carbonated, smooth almost viscous texture. Goes down really easy, per its intention.
Great when you are on a budget. Holds it’s own for category, but not a great beer.

Dec 19, 2019
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From the very large can, it pours a clear yellow amber with a nice white head that lasts longer than normal for an American lager. Somewhat grainy scent, not unpleasant. Flavor is light, a touch malty and very smooth drinking. The can was gone before I knew it.

Dec 03, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

24oz can stamped H088 1122:40 poured into a shaker pint at fridge temp, no ABV listed on can. The beer pours mostly bright straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a pencil thin ring and island. The aroma is slightly sweet and corny. The taste is mostly nuetral with some vegetable tinted grain and little bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with average carbonation and a semi dry finish. There are some fruity & buttery notes on the finish that aren't particularly enjoyable, but aren't way off base for the style. Overall, good cream ale. Thanks @woodychandler

Aug 30, 2019
PhantomWolf from Pennsylvania

3.66/5  rDev +18.8%

Smooth pour with a foamy white head that settles far too quickly. Same pale amber hue as any other American standard. Smells of honey, hay, and attic dust. I love the cans. Some may not care, but I am sentimental by natural and aesthetics affect how I enjoy what's inside. Carbonation isn't as tight as I like. Certainly will not be mistaken for champagne. The flavour is light toasted sugar and cereal. There is nothing here that screams 'must try', but if my buddy was light on cash and needed to fill his fridge, this beer is among the first to come to mind. Best from the can. Ice cold and preferably next to a campfire.

Aug 20, 2019
Bluecrow from New York

3.56/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

-clear pale amber can pour with a thin foam cap. The aroma is hay-like. The flavor is pleasant, woody notes and and a bit of sweet grass. The mouthfeel is very smooth. The body is light.

Aug 12, 2019
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.91/5  rDev +26.9%

(24 oz can, B049 code, 5.2% abv; purchased cold... poured into 28 oz mug, in several stages)

L: clear, pale yellow-amber liquid; tight, frothy, rocky sponge of white foam, built high above the juice - looks purdy, crumbles slowly, laces thin but crusty

S: doughy malt; slight grassy, citrus peel brightness on the edges... intensity mellow; cookie-like edge develops

T: adjunct lager approach, but with a bit of a nutty-cookie undertone, though not all that sweet... aftertaste has hints of toasty grain, mellow grassy bitterness... long malty finish; mellow fresh-malt flavor builds on palate, as does a mild metallic note

F: plush, almost silky flow; soft tickle of suds... while a residual film is left behind, the finish drops off quietly, and there's even a touch of warmth at the back

O: this is at least my third time trying this... obvious differences between this and SC, but the similarities are also interesting... I could see getting one of these more often - it's not a thin and lifeless as an adjunct lager, but not as taxing as some malt liquors can be (1413)

Jul 21, 2019
Beertsipper from New York

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$10.99 for a case of 24 cans. No date on the can. Pours a straw yellow with a big white head that fades quickly off an aggressive pour into a shaker pint glass. Nose is corn, adjuncts, rice, grains, and hops. Taste follows the nose. A faint hop bite at the finish. Mouthfeel is light and watery with medium carbonation. This is one of the best cheap beers you can get your hands on and is perfect for a hot summer day.

Jul 06, 2019
Monarch_Black from Pennsylvania

3.88/5  rDev +26%

This is my go-to cheap beer. This beer has a clear straw look. It isn't very aromatic. It has a nice, crisp bready taste. This is usually less than $15 a 30-pack. I'd much rather have this than most of the macro-brewery lagers in the US. Very drinkable. Great tailgate, summer day or when you want bulk without breaking the bank brew. I will get beers that are twice as much or more, but always come back for when I just want beer without breaking the bank. I'd say half the beer I buy is this, and the other half is distributed amongst the "good" beers. If you just want beer, you will be better with this than a Bu****ser.

Jun 23, 2019
Sgt_1991 from Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good light drinkable ale. First cream ale and I absolutely loved it. Nothing short of excellent. Love the taste and love the style. Got 2/$1 got to find more. Very tasty and refreshing light almost lager style beer

Jun 16, 2019
OllieStalz from New York

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

It is a solid beer. It is pretty drinkable. Inoffensive. It won't blow you away but it also won't make you blow chunks. It is an all season beer. Very refreshing when cold. It really isn't expensive. I do live in NY, so it is easily accessible. This might not be the case for other states. If you have a chance to try it, please do. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

May 20, 2019
Byoung_Ju_Kim from New York

4.16/5  rDev +35.1%

All year around beer. I like to drink while I cook during weekends and this is my go-to-beer, because the mild and sweet ending taste does not bother to drink and taste whatever the food I cook. Very cheap beer but compare to price, I couldn't find any beer that better than this(price-wise, taste-wise). Making it extra cold by putting in the freezer with a pint glass gives me excellent drinking experience.

May 20, 2019
alcoholicarrogance from Maine

3.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Got on an impulse because it was only $1.50 for a 24 oz can and was curious how good a cheap cream ale could be. It kinda has a bit of a cream soda taste, but with a beer flavor and some good slight bitterness for balance. Nothing extraordinary, not that I was expecting it to be, but really good for the price. This would be one of my top choices if I had to get a macro or just a cheap beer.

May 18, 2019
hottenot from North Carolina

3.53/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Used to get this by the kegger back in Pa. always good out of a keg.
A much fuller and flavorful brew than Bud.
Tastes smooth and creamy. Very low bitterness. A kind of sweet flavor.

Not too bad at all. An honest AAL that is not generally considered as such.
Of course there are a lot of much more expensive beers with all kinds of added stuff.
But are never considered to be an AAL.

Mar 29, 2019
schlitzman from Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +59.1%

This beer is really good but is pretty much sold in gas stations & 7-11s price is good 1.00 for a 24 ounce can
I just found a place the liquor outlet north Las Vegas Nv that has a keg of genesee cream ale in the cooler
That sounds good

Mar 24, 2019
dxpnthedrunk from New Jersey

This beer is absolutely smooth and refreshing. with a nice creamy finish. perfect for drinking any day of the week, i live in new jersey and i have to drive to New York state to get a 30 pack, and its also very cheap. my dad introduced me to this beer its one of my favorite cheap brews out there. Thanks Dad")

Mar 12, 2019
TooLucid from District of Columbia

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was in the mood for a macro brew, so I picked up a 12-pack at Total Wine for $9. I wasn't sure what a cream ale was, but I thought it was worth a shot.

In context it's a solid beer and I'll definitely pick it up again when I was something basic. I can't describe really but it has a unique quality to it compared to other similar brews. Best drank cold, as it warms up it reminds me of cheap ice beer, but all good there - it's not a sipping beer.

Feb 18, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

1.44/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I originally reviewed this and it got a 2.4 rating. Had one recently and had to downgrade. Will not waste our time going point by point on this one. It is not worth the effort. I do not like this one at all, no redeeming quality whatsoever. This is my lowest rated beer to this point, and I hope it stays there. I damn sure don't want to ingest anything worse than this. I saw the Brewers Kettle here in Kernersville had this on tap. I thought briefly about burning the place down.

Jan 24, 2019
Cholla from New Jersey

Very smooth. Genesee Cream Ale is modestly priced and an easy drinking beer when you just want a beer. Nothing offensive and nothing that really stands out. Just a simple beer. Cheers.

Jan 19, 2019
Geelawn from Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Solid cheap beer. 11 dollars for a 30 rack you can’t beat that. Only available north east, Genny Cream is what I call a cinderella beer: great cold and piss warm. These are meant to be pounded. This is the only Genny worth trying besides their crafty stuff.

Jan 18, 2019
Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 1483 ratings