Genesee Cream Ale | Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale
3.04/5
Okay
Genesee Cream AleGenesee Cream Ale

Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
New York, United States
geneseebeer.com

Style: Cream Ale

"Genny" Cream Ale.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,398 |  Reviews: 561

I`m a regular Genny Cream drinker so I may be partial. I will go out of my way to get it.To try to talk about numbers or attributes, I simply like everything about it. I always call it an "Honest" beer. It doesn`t try to make an impression. It does what it`s supposed to do. Quench your thirst for a drink. You can have your I.P.A.s and Craft beers and Microbrews. When I want a beer, I want something that isn`t snotty. Something real. I`m not trying to impress anyone.

2.2/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Nice head lacing and carbonation. The taste is sort of sweet and corny like narragansett lager. I sort of like it. oh no I spoke too soon now that it has warmed up to room temperature I can taste that nasty cheap corny syrup sweetness going down my gullet. Yuck. I am wondering if this brewery is using any corn syrup or actual corn or corn grits in this beer. it has a cheap sweetness to which is leaning me towards to believing that they are using some cheap filler like corn syrup in this beer which is what makes it so cheap. I wanted to like this beer but I just really can't. It is hard to find a good brew for a good price these days. This is nasty and close to undrinkable folks. Oh well at $9 for a 12 pack I guess you get what you pay for. Is it possible for someone to get a cheap decent tasting beer that is not filled with corn syrup. If you are a novice craft beer drinker then you can't even drink this if your trying to get drunk off of beer because you cannot get a hold of any marijuana or xanax pills then you will probably end up choking and puking trying do so. I do not recommend that anybody go out and buy a 12 pack of Genessee Cream Ale lik my dumb ass did. Is it freaking possible for someone to make a mass produced regular cream ale that does not have any oranges, plums, or pears or any other fruits and is not filled with corn syrup or any other cheap filler garbage. Cheers! I think I will go with a D- (60-64) score range on this one

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

3.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber-yellow with a finger of white foam. Head retention is fair, with a few strands of lacing left behind. Aroma is pale, earthy malts and citrus, herbal hops. Pale and biscuit malts are the bulk of the flavor profile, with notes of herbal, citrus, and resin hops stirred in. Mouth feel is crisp, albeit thin feel. Overall, a straight shooter beer. The malt bill is pretty high, and yet it's easy to throw back. A good dose of flavor for a cheap, slam-worthy beer.

Served in a 12oz snifter from a 12oz bottle.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

2.43/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.72/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great for what it is: a cheap brew. Very cheap in some markets. Having roots in upstate NY, seeing my friend's dads pop these open in the 70's, Genny has some deep nostalgia for me. I was thrilled to see it come to NC, very cheap and widely available at first, but both the availability and the gradual increase in price make it less attractive to me than it had been about five years ago. Still, I like that I can get something other than an AAL at a cheap price. Love this beer. Not the best, but I'm never disappointed.

believe it tastes better than the Hardywood Cream Ale from Richmond, VA by a few light-years !!! ... seriously !!!

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

3.93/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.49/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I was shocked by how good this beer is! For $16 .-- a 30-pack, this is definitely a new option as an everyday beer. Its clean and crisp with a foamy and pillowy, pure white head. The body is a little more robust than all the cheap macros and also unlike them, this has a lot of REAL flavor!!! It's a lot less sweet and doesn't have that sort of, artificial and gelatinous mouth feel like the big name macros have either. Quite refreshing! GOOD JOB GENESEE!!!!

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Smooth drinking and goes down easy. I'm a Genny Cream fan. A good every day beer.

3.02/5  rDev -0.7%

2.96/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

3.39/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've never had this one till tonight with a build your own 6pack.. For what it is it's not bad, the smell was slightly off putting but it doesn't taste like it smells luckily lol..

Very smooth easy drinker with just a hint of creaminess and it actually has a little bit of body for a pale golden American beer..

Nothing special at all but it's not bad either.

4.06/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Judging this beer for the price of 4.99 a 12 pack.... There is no other beer in the same price range comparable to this beer other than maybe hamms. I truly bought six 12 packs yesterday because this beer is truly wonderful for the daily alcoholic who wants a great tasting cheap beer!! The cream is similar to a cream soda soda not cream as in dairy products. Overall highly recommend this beer. Great head and flavor for the price!!

3.58/5  rDev +17.8%

2.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

better than original genny. Tastes like higher education

3.44/5  rDev +13.2%

This was my favorite beer when I was still too young to buy it legally. At about $1 per tall boy, the price was, and still is, the best buzz for the buck. Any event I attended would be accompanied by fair Genny.

The look of this beer is what I like to call "Cheers beer", because it looks like the beer Norm is always nursing on the classic 80's sitcom. Nothing special, but inviting in a subtle way. Decent lacing that lasts as the brew warms up.

Not much of a smell. Light bread and butter. Smell becomes stronger and more alcoholic as it warms.

My favorite part of this beer is undoubtedly the taste. I challenge anyone to find a more palatable brew in the price range. There is the bread/butter that is also present in the nose, but on the tongue it is stronger and rounded out by a solid malty backbone. Hop lovers may want to look elsewhere... This is definitely more sweet and mellow than any IPA.

In my experience, the least consistent feature of Genny Cream is its texture. Perhaps certain retailers just don't sell enough of it to keep fresh stock, but whatever the case may be, once in a blue moon I'll get a can that just doesn't fizz the way it should. However, when you get a good can, the texture is near-perfect.

One thing I really miss is the old can art. The medals and script writing were much classier than their current can design, which looks like something a milkman might have on his truck. That said, I still love this beer! So many good memories of summer afternoons, outdoor concerts, baseball, yard work, and Genny Cream.

3.02/5  rDev -0.7%

2.29/5  rDev -24.7%

Genesee Cream Ale from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.04 out of 5 with 1,398 ratings