Black
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

BlackBlack
Score:
Needs more ratings
2.92 | pDev: 23.63%
From:
Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.

New York, United States
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
BlackBlack
Notes: A bold, full-flavored lager with a crisp, refreshing finish. Genesee Black is an experience as much as it is a beer.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 6
2.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

24oz can stamped A149 1105:54 poured into a becher glass at fridge temp 8% ABV. The beer pours bright light amber with off white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and leaves a few spots of lacing. The aroma is acceptable by malt liquor standards with light corn, dish soap and faint vegetable tangy notes. The taste is slightly sweet with cream corn and a little tangyness. No perceptible bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and an undry finish with just a hint of butter. Overall, it's malt liquor. The can makes me think black lager and BA says red lager, but it's straight up malt liquor. Not great, but it's a style I tangle with from time to time. Thanks for the sample @woodychandler

4.32/5  rDev +47.9%

L: Medium amber color. I was expecting this for a stronger ABV cheap beer. Pours a medium head that doesn't last long. Little lacing.
S: A little boozy but not harsh for the ABV. Smell is sweet and a little sour. Very weak smell overall.
T: Roasted grain, sweet, boozy and a little fruity(sour apple). A little corn and malt. No fusel alcohol like some cheap high ABV beers. Some of the "heavier" taste of Steel Reserve without the nasty aftertaste.
F: Very light body and leaves no aftertaste. Was expecting more from a fairly dark lager with high ABV. Carbonation was less than expected. Very smooth. This is a very easy beer to chug if you want to get drunk fast.

Overall: This is excellent for a very cheap ($1.19 tallboy) beer with a high alcohol content. Definitely better, and even cheaper, than its BMC competitors (Steel Reserve, Natty Daddy, etc.). Honestly this is the #2 best Genesee beer, ahead of the crappy Ice but behind the fantastic Cream Ale. I raised my initial score to highlight it being the best beer in its category. I hope this beer sells well enough to see in 6 packs or even 30 packs soon.

2.74/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a golden/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, some sourness. Taste has plenty of metals, some grains, sour, and not in a good way. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall it's not horrible, but is a fairly crappy beer, even at $1.10 for a 24 oz. can.

2.06/5  rDev -29.5%

When I first saw this, all I could think of is "Cheap, High Gravity=Almost A Drain Pour" Steel Reserve kinda beer. It was $1.19, so that gave me no hope either. What the hell. Amber/Red Lager? Nope. It is a lager per the website, but not much else is said about it other than advertising jargon. I sure wish they would bring back Genesee Red. That was a Adjunct Red Lager that had some flavor.

L: Dark yellow, so I can see where the "amber" title got hung on this. Poured with a decent head that eventually went down to nothing.
S: Sharp and a bit sour., A bit of melon perhaps? It gave me the impression of chewing gum with the adjunct signpost in the road.
F: What is this? A bit of bitter/sour with a lingering grain/sweet. I wanted to say it had no mouthfeel.
T: So, this is the company that makes Genny Screamers. Their Cream Ale has been around when all other beers abandoned any difference in the 70's and 80's and remains a few and far between in the world of beers. Certainly the oldest cream ale brewed continuously. That's an okay beer that I have once in a blue moon. Regular Genny is a burp/lawnmower beer that I get at least once in a while. Genny Ice is a higher ABV Genny that I can drink when I want a 24oz beer for a buck with a bit more flavor.

What the heck is this then?

It has a bit of the butter scotch flavor, but I certainly would not say it's a butter scotch candy. It's cooked grain with that strong alcohol punch. Dare I say a bit of prune, and cinnamon, and there's the melon thing...

Whew. I won't be getting this again. Why did they make this one? It's a high ABV beverage designed to get you bombed on the cheap without the really harsh notes that seem to come with cheaper malt liquors. (Steel Reserve...) I guess they needed more than the Ice Beers give? Get Genny Ice rather than this and that's not saying much. Not a drain pour, so it does rate better than a 1.

2.69/5  rDev -7.9%

Well, shee-whack-a-ding-dong! I purchased this beer very recently at the newly opened Rieker Bottle Works for inclusion in The CANQuest (tm) & I did everything right that I have been preaching about ... or so I thought. I added the beer. I checked the brewery's website & added what little they provided for the "Notes/Commercial Description", I took, resized & submitted a pic for approval. All green & go for today, right? WRONG! It turns out that it is NOT a Schwartzbier! 8=( Why would they name it like this?!? 8=(

From the CAN: "Always drink responsibly".

I Crack!ed open the vent on this massive 24-fl. oz. bad boy & beCAN a slow, gentle Glug once I had the crane in position to help me lift it. Jeez-O, man, the shock & surprise that registered on my face as it came pouring out must have been priceless! It foamed up to form two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with decent retention that left behind some nice lacing. It was the color, however, that sent me into a swoon! It was a solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity! It wasn't "Black" at all! 8=( Grrr. Nose smelled like just one more AAL with notes of corn to go with a bready maltiness. I am SO disappointed already. This might be the best AAL evar, but the name is so misleading as to be off-putting coming out of the gate. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but around the standard for a Lager. The taste was not of corn but of a metallic twang that was marring whatever this was supposed to be. I guess that I should not be so surprised, given it relatively low price point, but this was just another middle-of-the-road offering with a poorly-thought out name. It was a Lager, but not a clean one. I am not sure that it was even adjuncts that were giving it its stale, metallic taste. It just did not taste right throughout. It was a real swing & a miss by a mile as far as I was CANcerned. Finish was semi-dry, but it would be wrong of me to say that it was refreshing, other than it was cold & wet on an increasingly humid day. 8=( YMMV.

Black from Genesee Brewing Co. / Dundee Brewing Co.