Bright Ale

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes: This Blonde/Pale Ale hybid has a light body, low bitterness, citrusy grapefruit and pale malt notes, and rounds out with a crisp clean finish.
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 100
3.36/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; medium gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a splotchy cap; OK lacing;

S: grassy; pilsner malt; a hint of floral;

T: flavor is muted; what's there follows the nose; mild bitterness at the end;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation - a little prickly; moderately dry finish;

O: very easy drinking, but not especially interesting; a nice gateway beer;

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Best by 9/17/17

Pours a big frothy 1+ finger head that fades at a med pace, a little lacing, mostly hazy lemon yellow color.

Nose toasted pilsner malts, blond malts, a touch of sweetness, grainy, a touch doughy, cereal grains, a little herbal earthy hop, touch corn-ish, hops add some grassy and a bit fruity aromas.

Taste brings sweet mash out front, raw wort with cereal grains, doughy malt, toasted blond malts, a little corn mash, etc, then into mild hops, a bit grassy, a bit herbal, little fruity notes, a little lager malt flavor and yeast ester notes. Finish is sticky, fair bitterness, a little grassy herbal hops.

Mouth is med bod, a little creamy note, fluffy carb.

Overall not bad, more like a decent cream ale than anything, but an enjoyable summer beer. Weird that people are rating it so low, any almost all the low ratings are without reviews, so my guess is that they are just grabbing a beer expecting some IPA or something stupid, and the subtle nature of this beer makes them go bleh, so they smash it.

1.45/5  rDev -59%

There has to be something seriously wrong with this beer. It is not infected, but it has a taste that is reminiscent of cream corn and the light-colored beers I used to make with my awful city water, before I learned water chemistry. Judging by the prior reviews, I may have gotten a bad 6-pack. Either way, there is no way this beer should have seen the shelves.

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light clear yellow with a fizzy white head. The smell had a bit of citrus to it but it was light. The taste, like the smell, was light and full of citrus hops which made for a rather refreshing beer. Crisp and clean aftertaste as well made for an easy drinking beverage. Works exceptionally well in the summertime.

3.71/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Sampling a cellar temp can poured into a glass mug. The beer pours a bright clear gold color with frothy bleached white head of 5 cm foaming up even with my gentle pour.
A citrusy hop aroma is evident immediately after the pour into my glass. The frothy head recedes to a rocky surface layer with several streams of bubbles constantly rising to the surface.
I get citrus and some grassy hop character with hints of grainy malt in the background.
First sip reveals a light crispy body, with fine prickly carbonation that moves across my palate on each sip.
Flavor is some grainy malt and a dry citrus rind hop finish on each sip. None of the flavor is over robust or in your face, but it is certainly enjoyable and compelling for another sip. this is a good session beer and would be great at the beach, poolside, or any summer activity. Maybe I found my fantasy football draft beer.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

This is a light beer with a citrusy but not overpowering nose. Light golden/amber color, a great summer/easy drinking beer good for drinking in between APA's or stouts.

taste is good and light, not very complicated but crisp with a bit of hoppiness.

overall a pretty good beer which is definitely worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: A very light yellow color, fairly clear, but has nice lacing and head. I usually like my beer with more substantial coloring, so I was a little put off in the beginning, only to be pleasantly surprised for what came next.

S: A nice citrusy smell, picking up hints of grapefruit? I hesitate to use refreshing because that's what i want to use for the taste, but yeah, it made me feel alive...

T: What surprised me about this beer was the taste. As aforementioned, I like colorful beers. I was expecting a mellow-bland taste, and was surprised with a rich (but clean) fresh taste that had just a little bit of hop, just enough to add backbone. Has a totally refreshing taste that really excites me

M: Wasn't overwhelmed by this beers mouthfeel, but I'm also not disappointed. I thought it would be crisp to the point of blandniss, but instead it has a nice clean finish. It again surprised me and so left me feeling very satisfied.

O: This is a great beer. I ended up having a few pints of it, and was very happy I encountered this beer. I look forward to trying Half Full's other beers (love the name by the way). As a side note, I just tried this in December, and while I liked it, I can't wait to take it out on the course with me this summer. Cheers indeed!

3.46/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Yeah, that's a bright ale. Straw yellow and lit like a Christmas tree. Head is a bleached top of airy fluff.

S-Light aroma. Overall pleasant but nothing warranting extended description. It's an amiable balance between sweet grain and soft hops.

T-A light and balanced ale. Sweet, mellow, malted grain flavor with a finishing touch of grassy hops.

M-Light but not too watery. Pleasant bubbles. Aftertaste dies off quickly. Quenching.

O/D-Very bland but fairly well built. I think that's the point.

2.55/5  rDev -28%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

On tap at Backstage in Torrington.

A crystal clear yellow with a dense white head with decent retention and nice lacing, this looks solid. The nose has a touch of citrusy hops, some honey and a sugar water character. As disappointing as the nose is, the palate's even more lacking. Extremely thin in body and with a watery finish, there's a little honey, citrus and a little bit of sulfur present. Disappointing.

4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

To co-opt the words of the once-great Schaefer, Half Full Bright Ale is the "one beer to have when you're having more than one." It's crisp, refreshing, and perfect for any palate. The beer-snobs I know love it, and the light-beer-only types love it. Personally, I can take down a whole growler without any tastebud fatigue; it hits the sweet spot between malt and hops.

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My 100th review.
On Tap at Backstage EDL in Torrington, CT.

Bright Ale indeed. This blonde is straw yellow in color with a thin white head. Hazy.

Very mild aroma of faint hops. Clean.

Taste is also mild. Some grassiness. Hops in the finish. Gentle grainy malt.

Overall a very quaffable ale. Goes down really easy.

3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

Served on tap at Bar Q in Stamford. Served in a shaker pint glass.

Poured hazy yellow with some white foam. Light lacing. Appears to be unfiltered. The nose is mostly citrus, on the light side. Notes of grapefruit evident as well. Taste is smooth and crisp, a nice citrus lemon in the open with an easy going body. Goes down quite easy. Flavorful and approachable.

Overall, this is a solid beer, and I look forward to trying others from this new CT area brewery.

Bright Ale from Half Full Brewery