7 Year Stout | Black Bottle Brewery

Black Bottle Brewery
Colorado, United States
blackbottlebrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by denver10 on 12-22-2013

Reviews by spoony:
3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A hazelnut coffee stout.

Pours deep, dark brown, just about black, with a mocha head. Head recedes relatively quickly. Aroma suggests a hazelnut milk chocolate bar filled with some caramel. Flavor is strong sweet hazelnuts, (not enough) coffee, chocolate, caramel, oats and all a bit watered down. All in all, I think the balance of this is off as it resembles a hazelnut milk chocolate stout far more than a hazelnut coffee stout. Wish the coffee would have been the primary flavor to this, some bitter roasted coffee would have balanced the sweet hazelnut side of this beer quite well. Mouthfeel is watered down, I am pretty convinced the bartender didn't do a good job dumping out the water when he rinsed my growler prior to pouring. Overall, not really my kind of stout. This one is sweet alas Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti or Odell Woodcut 7, and I dislike both of those. In this one's favor is that it is not nearly as strong a beer as those two so it isn't as over the top. I was easily able to finish my growler and thought this was alright, but not necessarily one I need to return to.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%