Ramsays Fat Lip Ale | English Ales Brewery

3.14/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.04/5  rDev -3.2%

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Wanted something small and local to where I was staying. Watery fruit punch red with a nice head and decent retention. Smells bready, with minerals and swampy English hops. Tastes is lightly toasted, English swamp tea hops, and more of that mineral-like quality.

It's fine. Kinda boring like a brewery that brews English ales called English ales brewery.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Phil's Fish Market Restaurant

A: Pours a golden orange amber with a white head that laces fairly nicely.

S: Citrus hops and caramel malt sweetness.

T: Citrus hops, some orange and grapefruit with a little lemon, backed with a nice caramel malt sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Was led to believe this was more of an amber ale, it most certainly acts like one. Quite drinkable and went quite well with my chioppino, but nothing super special.

4.75/5  rDev +51.3%

1.37/5  rDev -56.4%

Deep amber color, no head and no lace. Malty aroma with a hint of grain. Very smooth and malt based taste, a touch of hop but according to the style, not supposed to be real hoppy. Not a bad choice but not sure i would have again. Maybe I would somewhere else actually. I was hugely disappointed by the the pub I had it in.

I've had very few cask ales I didn't like, it's my preferred choice and I thought I would try this again when my local had it on cask. Color was a deep gold topped by a finger of foamy head. Awful aroma hit me hard, smelled of dirty socks. Taste was the same and thankfully I had asked only for a taste. Not impressed at all and among the worst beers I have ever had. I talked to the manager who knows us well and our love of cask. He told me that lots of customers like it so I guess it wasn't a bad cask.

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Looking for something "local" while in Monterey. 12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

A- Clear light amber with a one inch head, no retention but some clinging on the sides of the glass.

S- Mild toasty malt with a whiff of hops.

T- Starts out well enough with the toasted malt flavor which quickly resolves into an unpleasant metallic twang.

M- Thin and watery.

O- Looks and smells good but that's about it. Has the potential to be a decent session beer but that odd metallic finish stops me at one.

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Clear amber colored beer with a tall tan colored head.

Smell is peat and malt with a herbal hop scent smells like cardamom mostly.

Starts out mildly sweet and a little smoky with a caramel aftertaste. Little bit of acid in the malt and a mild band-aid taste, middle of the road scotch ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an OK beer. Nothing English ales has made has knocked my socks off. But they also haven't sold me any drain pours yet.

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the tap room in pebble beach. It's contract brewed and labeled Tap Room Ale, but I was told this is the eer it really is, and the descriptions fit.

With all the good beer here in CA, it's going to be hard to make it down highway one. This one won't keep me too Lon though. Malty and a touch of head with lace rim the copper clear body. The smell is sort of indistinct. Water and malts. Little hops bite at the front and back on the taste, but a thin body and lack of rich ess sort of ruins the english malts.

Definitely English hopped and Scotty feeling, it's just a basic brew that you could pass up. Especially after popping a a Pliny by the lone Cyprus

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Not as good as I remember it. I recall rather enjoying it on tap at the Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley on a hot summer day.

This bottle poured out a light amber with no head at all and only a few wisps of film. The nose matched the head -- I didn't detect anything except a hint of malt and maybe some berry... The taste was not at all bitter, just malt and a hint of caramel with a tiny bit of sour on the aftertaste.

It did have a good mouthfeel, not too light or too carbonated, just thick enough to make it quite drinkable. Overall, give it a shot if it's on tap, but I'd avoid bottles.

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

English Ales does some local contracted beers around Carmel and Monterey, which were pretty good, so I was excited to try one of their own beers. I was not impressed with this. Malty, as expected from a Scotch Ale, but everything else from this just reminded me of an average, early home brew attempt.

Had this at Fishwife seafood restaurant out of a 12 oz. bottle into a mini-pint glass.

Pours a clear amber hue with a 1/2 finger white head that quickly dies down to just about nothing. Stickiness is very minimal if anything. Not much of anything in the nose, very weak caramel malt. Some sweet bready scents as well but not much else. Taste starts off dull with a sweet caramel malt. A bit of a hop bite tingle follows. Aftertaste isn't much of anything, a watered down pale malt flavor. Light to medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Nothing really special about this beer, don't go out of your way to seek this.

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours sort of a dark golden ale color with a massive snow white head that was very hard to control in the pour.
Aroma is scotish styled toasted amber malts and a hint of orange.
Mouthfeel is a little thin and the massive carbonation makes it a little unpleasant to drink.
Flavors are very much as described by the brewer...."scotish Amber Ale"....toasted full amber malts balanced to with a touch of citrus peel hops at the end helping to dry the mouth making this very drinkable.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast