Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hefe Weizen | Amos Howard's Brew Pub

oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Backer2004 on 02-12-2005

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a nice light yellow. Somewhat cloudy. Brief initial head with no retention. Faint lacing.

Classic banana clove aroma.

Hits mildy sweet with slight banana cream flavor. Finishes tart and a little spicy.

Good starter. My wife liked this one alot.

3.28/5  rDev 0%

Served frrom a growler obtained last week. Poured into an imperial pint glass. A half finger head formed on top of a very pale, cloudy, hay color. The color is really pale. Typical cloudiness is observed.

Smell was below average. Nice corriander and yeast aromas. But not much else. A tiny bit of lemon.

Taste is more impressive than aroma may foretell. Crisp and refreshing and effervescent. Lemon grass and orange peel. A little tanginess is there as well and I cant quite put my finger on it. Tastes almost like it has some Belgian candi sugar in it but that cant be true.

Pleasant mouthfeel. Crisp and clean on the finish. A very drinkable beer. I do like it. Weird off flavors save this from being a 4 in the drinkability category.

2.83/5  rDev -13.7%

As far as OHB beers go this is average. Not a bad beer by no means, just not one I will order often. The color was a cloudy yellow. It looked a lot like pineapple juice. The smell was similar to apple brandy. The taste reminded me of malt liqour. A little thin in the mouthfeel. I could have drank a couple but as I said before, not a beer I would order often.

2.76/5  rDev -15.9%

Came with a lemon. Is this normal? After discarding of the lemon I look at the beer. Cloudy light yellow with some golden hues. Thin head, little lace.
Wheat, citrus, apple, banana in the nose. Smells good.
Smells better than it taste. Nicely citrus but a bit to funky for my taste. Weird aftertaste that a hot wing took care of.
Much too carbonated in the mouth.
I struggled to finish the pint.

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Found this for $2 for 20 ounces at the Town Pump bar in Black Mountain, NC (a definite stop on any trip to the mountains). Worth much more than this deal. Almost as good as its more notable counterpart, the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weizen. Vanilla, banana, and clove abounds-in the smell and taste. Very easy to drink. Nice cloudy typical Wheat beer appearance. Would like to try more brews from Hickory.

Hefe Weizen from Amos Howard's Brew Pub