Black Magic | Amos Howard's Brew Pub

Amos Howard's Brew Pub
North Carolina, United States
oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Bung on 04-19-2009

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by ncvbc:
4.27/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

As Bung stated, this is a Dark Lager. It is the barrel-aged version of their Schwarzbier and a very good one I might add. Pours dark mahogany with some ruby highlights and a medium tan head, fading somewhat quickly. Moderate bourbon/vanilla scents over molasses, coffee, and chocolate. Same thing with the taste. Not too heavy on the bourbon at all. Great balance, lightly sweet and more full in flavor and feel than their regular version. Very smooth but alas, this one is a sipper. Took me a while to finish just one and probably couldn't take much more. I think their stock Schwarz is a favorite for me within that particular style, so this one doesn't disappoint!

4.55/5  rDev n/a

The description I got from the bartender was that this is a whisky barrel aged dark lager. Their website says nothing about it and I can't find it under any other brewers, so I'm adding it to Old Hickory. They offered it at the Hickory Hops and served it at their tap room.

On tap. Black pour with a tan head, slightly darker than their regular Schwarzbier. Head disappates after a while. Smell lost of vanilla, caramel/brown sugar and roast malt. Medium bodied, not heavy in the mouth at all. Flavor mimics the aromas, very well balanced between the roast malt and sweet caramels, vanilla and sugars. Slightly sweet oaky finish. I had the regular Schwarz first just to try it, but I could have had this one all night.
The barrel might have worked with this better than any stout I've had. I could be wrong, but the abv seemed to still be reasonably low like Schwarz, making this one of the most drinkable big flavor beers I've ever had.
This place has gotton its hands on some excellent barrels, or they really have the process down. The three I had were excellent, yet completely unique.

Black Magic from Amos Howard's Brew Pub