Headless Wylie | Rivertowne Brewing

Availability: Fall

Added by woodychandler on 10-31-2015

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can into a snifter.

A: A nice translucent copper with a white head that fades fairly quickly.
S: Some yam/squash with some nice spices that balances it out.
T: Pretty mellow with spices on the finish.
F: Very smooth. Somewhat full bodied.
O: Very drinkable. Mellow and easy drinking with no hint of having a higher ABV.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am currently unemployed with a lot of time on my hands & as such, I am a) not motivated to go out like I do when I have a job & b) trying to reduce the backlog of beer here at Chez Woody. The Bottle Backlog is annoying, but it takes a backseat to The CANQuest (tm). I CAN only take a bashful bow at seeing tone77's thanks. He is a great trader!

From the CAN: "If Mr. Crane had this magical brew with him, Sleepy Hollow would never have been the same! This full-bodied HIGH GRAVITY spiced ale is perfect to calm a scary situation! Cheers and thanks, [undersigned] Andrew S. (?) Maxwell[,] Brew Master".

The Crack! was about what I expected from a western Pennsylvania CAN: strong, loud, memorable. I gave it a gentle Glug to kick it off, but as you might expect, it was initially Headless. A good swirl raised a brief finger of fizzy, pumpkin-orange head before it reached up and threw it at me, never to be seen or heard from again! Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity & so I could see it coming for me from a mile away! This smelled more like pumpkin pie than anything else today. Instead of being driven by spices, it smelled like bready malt, evoking pie crust, underlain by spices, but not so much so as to be overwhelming. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. Speaking of cream, the taste was like pumpkin mochachino with whipped cream! It was kind of sweet and girly after all of those other Pumpkin Ales today, but at this point, it was my favorite. It really got the flavors of pumpkin pie with whipped cream which is what these other brewers claimed that they were shooting for, but this nailed it! Finish was sweet, but not cloying, It was about my upper limit for that sort of thing, but man, it was good. If I put Old Milwaukee in my Hallowe'en cooler for the masses, this is going in for a special after-party!

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

Probably my favorite imperial pumpkin beer! It had small white head that lingers only on edges of beer. Deep orangey amber color and smells of sweet Pumpkin pie with some whipped cream! Maybe a little bit of crust taste and finishes with pumpkin pie and Kool whip! It may be better than the actual dessert! At 8.2 it could turn problematic the way they dissappear.....

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A thanks goes out to the man who added this beer, woodychandler, for hooking me up. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a copper/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fresh pumpkin pie. Taste is also of pumpkin pie, spices are well done, not overdone, somewhat sweet at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good example of the style.

Headless Wylie from Rivertowne Brewing