Altstadt Weissbier | Drayman's Brewery

Added by Todd on 03-01-2005

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

I had this on tap at a German restaurant in Hatfield (Pretoria) and found it pretty sour. Then I went to the brewery to pick up some of Drayman's other beers, and when I mentioned I'd had the Weissbier and named that particular restaurant, the first question out of the brewer's mouth was "was it fresh?" Apparently their turnover at that restaurant isn't very high, so I think what I had been poured was probably sour from sitting in the lines too long, so I picked up a bottle of the stuff and had it a week later, in Cape Town.

Appearance: little head, little lace, perhaps a little darker than I'd expect in a hefe weizen, hazy as I would expect.

Smell: citrus and bubble gum aromas, not much in the way of banana.

Taste: citrus and bubble gum are the stand out flavors here.

Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel, good carbonation for the style.

Drinkability: I went back to it after having a bad experience with a sour one, and killed a one liter bottle of it by myself... so yes, it's drinkable.

Altstadt Weissbier from Drayman's Brewery