Badass Rye

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Many thanks to CaptCleveland for sending me this latest in my rye, ah, collection. Maybe they’ll name a rye malt after me someday, or more likely, I’ll just turn into rye once I’m dead. Anyways. 22 oz. bomber with a classy little tag split with my wife.

The pour is dark for the ‘style’, comes across as a dark amber, clear, maybe since I left the last ounce or two in the bottle (& swigged it while my wife wasn’t looking). Low carbonation. The nose is Thorin’s hammer of rye, with faint earthen forest & light sweetness underneath. But no doubt where the lineage lies here.

Badass Rye would garner a 50 game suspension in MLB for steroid use. Wham! Most ryes are cute & light & could star in cat videos, but this ain’t no pussy rye. Mouthfeel is big & thick & lovely, closer on the family tree to a stout than an IPA. The taste brings the rye hammer handle, then a nice slug of hops that weren’t much in evidence in the nose. Dank (in a good way, not that swamp-water-rotting-leaf way), earthy, surprisingly strong bitterness. I can taste the caraway, which I’d call sumthin’ weird, but would never have been able to ID it if I hadn’t read the word. Finish is just a lovely integration with the rye on top & long tongue-kiss of bitterness. Damn if I couldn’t drink a lot of this.

Well, Cap’n, I do believe you have nailed my taste buds, because this is one excellent brew. Bigger, badder, & more hoppy than most rye brews, this stands out in a field full of good beers.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber purchased from the brewery today for $7.75. Bottled 2 weeks ago per the bartender. No dating on the bottle.

Slightly hazy, ruby elixir poured into SA pint glass. One finger, tan head, thick lacing.

Nice complex aroma of spice, pine, earth, subtle malt biscuit. The 80 IBUs produce a nice underlying current of tropical fruit.

Really wonderful rye spice and hop bitterness at the fore front, caraway and malt backing. The hops linger and provide a nice smooth, bitter aftertaste.

Medium body, nicely carbonated, smooth and a bit silky.

Nice rye brew that provides a complex aroma and taste, incorporating caraway seeds into the mix.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

What an excellent beer. Silky smooth mouthfeel, grapefruit aroma, creamy head and excellnt lacing. Bitterness is balanced nicely with hint of caraway. Subtle Peach like flavor. Clean finish. One of the most interesting beers I have ever had. Bartender told me if will be available in bottles throughout the year.

Badass Rye from The BottleHouse Brewing Company