XReserve Peach & Ginger Saison | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by epyon396 on 05-15-2015

Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 55
3.15/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Great pale yellow color but way too much carb. Just like champagne. Taste is nice with the peach and ginger but hard to contain in the glass. Cut the carb and you have a winner

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

08/14/15
On tap at blend. Yellow Orange color white head. Aroma is peach, other fruit, grass. Taste is mostly ginger.....too much if you ask me. Medium carbonation, asrtringent. Not a fan."

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this from keg and bottle at same time, and they were so different. Bottle was much more carbonated and flavorfull. I think this beer should be served a tad warmer as the flavors come out more when warm. Not overall sweet but the peach definitely comes through. I would put this on tap again, but would prefer bottles.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ahhh, another one with some tartness. I have to be more careful when selecting beer. However, the tartness here is reasonably subdued, and the ginger provides just a hint. I can smell the tartness, some ginger, and just a bit of peach - but it's actually not bad! Likewise the flavor. I was pleasantly surprised. The first sip threw me a little. Subsequent sips tasted much better.

This beer sports one of those bubbly, large white heads that would make Belgian imports proud. As it subsides, it leaves a thin, soapy lacing - for those to whom that is important.

I'm still not a fan of tartness in beer, but if I absolutely have to drink one, I can do much worse than this one. Overall, pretty decent.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is strong of ginger, some peaches. Taste is ginger, pepper, a bit spicy, malts, subtle peaches in the background. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a straw color with a big two finger head. The peaches really come out in the nose. The flavor is dominated by the essence of sour fruit and a trace of pepper. I did not really get any ginger.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Latest snag at the House of 1,000 paid the almost 5 dollar single price into a pint glass.
A - Crazy carbonation on this gave me 2+ inches of the foamy good stuff. Color is a clear yellow with tons of floating bubble and some sediment in the glass makes me think this brew is a bit old but has lasted the test of time.
S - Good aroma juice peach and some peppery funk is greeting me. Rounded out ginger really leaving just a subtle sweetness on the nose.
T - Good level of peach and some lemon peel but I feel it has faded a bit since the ginger is there but barely has any punch.
M - A very bubbly almost champagne like saison not bad just have to drink it slow (no chugging!)\

Overall it's an interesting well rounded brew but for the price I paid I was surely underwhelmed.
Shame since it was a "new arrival" beer at my local beer pub but clearly it has passed over the 6 month mark.

Had on tap. Pours hazy, orange-brown in color with 1/3 inch head. Taste is big ginger and light peach. More traditional elements of a saison like funk and pepper appear slowly as the beer warms. One of the more ginger forward beers I have had. Tasty, enjoyable, and different. I would get this again.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Overall, beer had an exceptional taste. Peach flavor is minimal, but the ginger after taste adds to the overall flavor. Well rounded bodied beer. Served @ 38 degrees, beer has a very crisp feel. I would drink this again.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a 16 oz snifter not sure when it was bottled. Pours a absolutely gorgeous hazy yellow orange with with a nice 2 inch white head that leaves thin wispy lines of lace, beautiful beer.

Smell is clove, ginger, ripe mellon, agave, and peach digging it surprisingly.

Taste follows the nose the peach and ginger jump right out, mellon, clove, and a little banana in the very crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, moderate carbonation fine, not dry at all, and insane drinkability.

Overall this beer surprised me, when I got this I was expecting another disappointin experience with a Saison, not what happened at all @jzeilinger. Very nice beer, my favorite Saison hands down.

4.14/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep cloudy orange with a thin white head. Ginger, overripe peach, and a hint of lemongrass on the nose. The taste opens with ginger and becomes softer and more fruity towards the finish. Tart, balanced, and rather refreshing. Wasn't blown away by this one but did enjoy it with a burger and fries. Nice use of the ginger.

4.31/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Saucony Creek Brewing Co. "X Reserve 05-15"
750 ml brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$8.99 @ Wegmans, King of Prussia, PA

I was expecting more ginger. I was almost afraid of it in fact, but it wasn't there. It hints at it, gives you a little bit of the flavor, but there's no real bite. It reminds me of Thai food in that way, subtle, yet fulfilling. (I have to question, is this a new bottle, or is it a year old?)

What I did find was peach (there was no mention of that on the hang tag), and lots of it. It's bright and fruity in the aroma; and just slightly tart, like real peach, in the flavor. If they're using real fruit to make this I'm extremely impressed. If they're not, if it's just some extract, I'm still impressed, but not as much.

As for the yeast component, I don't find much. Perhaps it's contributing fruit that contributes to the peach component, or maybe it just can't make its way past the peach. There is a slight mineral/chalk component that's nice. It's not too much at all, just an edge, giving it just a touch more complexity.

The malt is grainy, clean, and leans towards pilsner malt without becoming too grassy or straw-like. The bitterness is right on target, balancing perfectly. It finishes with lingering peach and a subtle hint of ginger spice.

Overall I wish it displayed more of the Saison character in yeastiness and malt, but it's really delicious as it is and for such an open style I can't fault it.

3.14/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 1 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Look. I like ginger ale and a peach snapple once in a while but this is just silly. For starters it looks like gingle ale and peach mixed, if I could give this color a zero I would. Stupid.

Smells and tastes ginger then peach. as advertised. Great mouthfeel for such a low ABV. This brewery knows how to do that. I like Maple Mistress (which is saying something since I generally hate that style of beer), Hop Suplex was meh, the big vanilla porter good and again, this is just silly. i'm no expert (or maybe I am) but my advice to this local brewey would be make a great beer, not just a bunch of mixed 6 stuffers. And I think will email the brewery Monday. Listen to your (potential) customers.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

This one pours a beautiful deep golden hazy orange with a great fluffy white head. Left some clumpy lacing inside the glass.
Tons of that Saison yeasty smell with a hint of ginger and some coriander.
First sip is full of that funkiness from the yeast, coriander and ginger on the end. Plenty of ginger in this makes it really tasty. A little sourness rounds it out.
A really light body with a low abv makes this very easy to drink.
Overall, I am loving this beer, typically I am not a big fan of Saisons, that heavy yeastiness and constant funkiness on the nose; but I think this one is really well done. Plus I LOVE ginger and I think the peppery spiciness the ginger adds is a perfect combination. The only thing I cold say that is needed is MORE ginger, but as it stands it is still tasty.

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%

Had on-tap at the Main Street Pub in Bally, PA. Poured into a snifter.

L: Poured a dark cloudy golden color with ample foamy white head. Nice lacing.

S: Just like the name implies... ginger and fruits (especially peach and citrus). Yeasts and herbs.

T/F: Complex flavors like you'd expect from a saison. Ginger and herbal/floral. Fortunately the ginger doesn't overpower the brew. The peaches give it a bit of a sour kick at the end which is rather nice.

O: A complex and tasty beer that delivers on its name. I very much enjoyed it and would have it again.

XReserve Peach & Ginger Saison from Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub