Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Lake Street Express | 18th Street Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews
Lake Street ExpressLake Street Express

18th Street Brewery
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by cetherid on 12-27-2013

Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 83
4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

A good offering by a local brewery. Here goes:

A: Good. Very cloud yellow, a little too hazy for my liking, but very effervescent. Lots of carbonation, a great head, and superb lacing.

S: Very refreshing, actually. Lemon rind, orange, and some pineapple. Also somewhat peppery and musky, which I assume is from the yeast. Fair amount of hay from the malt. To summarize, tropical fruit from the hops, musk from the yeast, and hay from the malt. It's all there, ladies and gentlemen!

T: Very light and refreshing. Lemon followed by hay and pepper. Very peppery for a pale ale.

F: Light. A little watery, but they're going for a session, so I'm not going to knock them.

O: Good beer. Great for summer.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 12 fl oz can with unfortunately no best by or canned on date. Poured into a Mikkeller pint glass.

Appearance: It poured a cloudy golden straw colour with a two finger white head that had good retention and left nice stick lacing.

Aroma: On the light side, but there’s tropical fruit mango and pineapple followed by some grapefruit zest and biscuit malt.

Taste: Light mango flavours followed by some nice grapefruit zest bitterness and a hint of orange.

Mouthfeel: Dry, light bodied with medium prickly carbonation.

Overall: Great fruit flavours and very easy to drink. Would have preferred a stronger aroma, but still a good sessionable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: gorgeous beer, golden straw color, semi-translucent, 2+ fingers of white head.

Smell: I don't know if this beer includes Mosaic hops, but it has the Mosaic aromas - dank, with a lemony citrus aroma that is magnificent.

Taste: a hop blitz in a velvet glove. Hops all over the place, full of flavors like lemon zest and pineapple and mango, but not a hint of booze, which is what I look for in a session ale.

Feel: very "spritzy," this feels SOOOOO much like a summertime beer.

Overall: I really enjoy a well-executed session ale, and this is exceptionally well executed. Tons of flavor, refreshing, zesty, not a lot (as in no) alcohol heat. If I lived near Gary, this beer would occupy a shelf in my beer fridge in the summer.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy lemon yellow brew, topped by a sizable fluffy white head with excellent retention and lovely lacing. It takes some patience to finish the pour.

Obvious hop notes in the aroma: grassy, herbal, floral, and grapefruit pulp. There's a touch of grainy pale malt, as well, but no yeast or malt sweetness.

Familiar SIPA flavor: dry biscuit malt which serves only as a base for the hop explosion. Sticky sweet (dank) notes quickly overwhelm the grapefruit peel that first hits the tongue. A touch of orange accompanies the back-end.

A touch more body than many SIPAs, making this fairly drinkable. A dry finish, as one would expect. Fairly long aftertaste of lingering hops.

Another well-executed SIPA, but it's still not a style I particularly love. Tasty enough beer, though, and definitely worth seeking out if you're more of a fan of the style than I.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A clean and refreshing scent with sharp citrus, light grain, grass, hints of grapefruit rind and a mild dankness. More grain in the flavor, but the same citrus, and grapefruit rind characteristics are here too, with a nice bitter grassy finish. It's under-carbonated for my liking, but it's a great beer.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got this as an extra, and read the can as a session IPA, so wasn't real excited. Upon opening I was surprised, and after further inspection realized it's a session APA (even more confused). I really like this, Citra is well evident but doesn't beat you over the head like some beers do, and I love mosaic hops. Very refreshing, but unlike other sessions there is enough malt presence not to think your drinking hop water. Not my favorite style, but I would but in a heartbeat if I had access to it.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I think this is a Simcoe/Citra session APA because the ABV's too low for an IPA. Finishes a little too bitter but is otherwise superbly crushable. Great job by 18th street. Will buy again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Simple and crushable. This was easily picked as a favorite of me and the fellas. We each stomped on a 6er while hanging out at the park and wanted more!

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Got this in a trade from [USER=BourbonBob]

I'm not much of a hop head... rarely drink pale's or IPAs... this was a little gift, and I heard great things, so I had to give it a try. (anyhow, all of that said, I may not be the best judge of this style).

Pour looked almost over carbonated, huge frothy head that slowly dissipated into a thin lingering lace.

Aroma was great, very strong floral/citrus... loved it.

Taste, this is where I was afraid, I was expecting the bitterness to be just as strong as the smell, but not so... the flavor was there without the bitter bite. As a non-hop-head, I enjoyed this.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin... especially compared to the last few stouts I've had lately... but for a session beer (or a pale ale I never drink) it's probably spot on.

Overall, I liked it more than I expected (given its outside of my usual preferences), I think come summer I'll be stocking up on this one.

Lake Street Express from 18th Street Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.