Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Red Hoppocalypse Imperial Ale | Apocalypse Ale Works

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by JasonTaverner on 07-05-2013

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Apocalypse Ale Works "Red Hoppocalypse Ale"
12 fl. oz. can without packaging codes or freshness dating
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Virginia Beach, VA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Interesting label. Wow! 110 IBUs? We'll see about that. It pours a slightly hazy deep amber / copper colored body beneath a finger-thick head of creamy khaki foam. Nice so far. The aroma delivers a combination of caramelish malt and citrusy hops that I'm all too familiar with. Somehow I thought it would be bolder, or brighter, but it's still pretty good. I'm not sure what kind of citrus I'm getting. I initially thought lemon but not I'm not sure. It's pleasant though, so who cares. The flavor runs down the same lines, and I am finding some lemon. I was expecting it to be maltier, in a bad way, and it's not so that's great. Sometimes brewers just over-do it with the caramel malt in bigger beers and it gets kind of sticky but that's not the case here at all. Or at least it doesn't appear that way as the citrus hops do cut through it pretty readily. I'm also finding notes of juicy red apple, berries, cherry, grape, and black tea. Ahh, I just noticed that I can smell the alcohol in the aroma but I'm not finding it in the flavor, or am I? Let me take another sip... no, I don't think so, not really, it's not solvent-like. There's a presence to it, and a little bit in the finish but I expect that, and want that for a beer like this! It certainly helps to dry it. But where are these big IBUs? Not there. I'm guessing 75ish, and maybe 80, but it's certainly not 110. It might calculate to that on paper, but it's not in the beer. So what did I miss? Body, as always. I'd call it medium leaning medium-full. There's a dextrinous aspect but it's not quite full bodied. The carbonation is moderate and leaves it creamy and smooth. So, overall, interesting and enjoyable. I'm glad it wasn't the strong, bitter beast I thought it would be. You'll feel the alcohol, but you could drink more than one of these in a row. I'll suggest it's worth trying but not worth seeking out. It'd make a great beer for a cold winter's day.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Pours deep copper color with nice tan head that quickly dissipates. Spotty lacing.

Aroma - Strong malt aroma, slightly sweet cherry with touches of floral notes

Taste - This beer has a very unique flavor, there is more of the sweet cherry in the flavor with a touch of honey. The malts again are very present. There is also some orange and a bit of tangerine.
Feel - medium bodied and there is not hint at all of the 8% ABV. Slightly dry

Overall - A really good red ale, there were flavors there I was not expecting

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful orange-red color, clear and producing a nice fizzy, carbonated head and good, spotty lacing. While the aroma is lighter than I would have expected, the flavors are bold. Nice bittering hops but I felt the malt was too much of a flavor. Alcohol is well hidden and finish is surprisingly clean for this type of ale.

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%

I don't see any date on the can.

Appearance: First off this thing has a massive light tan head and it stays there for a long time. The body of the beer is a tad hazy and has an orange-brown appearance.

Aroma: There isn't a whole lot of aroma here. There is just a tad of spicy hop character but I've had Helles Lagers with more aroma.

Taste: There is a very light fruity flavor that tastes a bit like a grape at first with a strong bread crust flavor at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Mild bitterness and medium bodied with a bit of a chewy quality to it.

Overall: It's not that great of a beer but it is drinkable. I wouldn't recommend getting it unless maybe you can find it on tap. It's not necessarily a bad beer but it's not one I would waste my time drinking again.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried a can of Red Hopacolypse at Montanos in Roanoke and I'm pissed the can suffered from over prime. The scent had the over prime fumes. The taste was altered by fizziness....i would so much like to try this one from the tapper. The Mouthfeel was medium in body with fizzy carbonation. Overall it's fine.....drinkable even thou overprimed.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev 0%

I am both proud & embarrassed by tone77's mentioning me in relation to this beer. I clearly purchased some in support of each of our CANQuests (tm), but I am embarrassed to say that I have no reCANlection of it before it appeared in my backlog.

From the CAN: "Virginia Crafted"; "2014 U.S. Open Beer Championship Silver Medal Winner"; "Recipe By: [undersigned] Jose Johns[,] Artwork By: [undersigned] Adam Valentine".

I applaud whomever took and submitted the approved pic as the graphics on these CANs are really stunning!

The Crack! unleashed some foaming through the vent, so I allowed it a little bit of calming time before CANtinuing. The culprit eventually revealed itself to be a brimful craft CAN with nowhere for the tongue to go when pushed open by the tab. I then employed a gentle Glug which resulted in three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with fantastic retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The lacing left behind as the head fell was both sticky and remarkable. Nose had a lemony/grapefruit citrusiness underlain by a biscuity maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was more hoppy than many Amber/Reds, which I find to be a nice update to the style. The real danger here was that the alcohol was well-hidden, making for an easy drink. The hops and malt(s) CANbined nicely to create a dry Red/Amber, much more to my liking than the early craft iterations of the style, which were often sugary & sweet. I would drink this again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Super ale. Hard to believe it comes in at 110 IBU (according to the can). It IS hoppy, but not so bitter that the other aspects of the flavor can't be enjoyed, AND the hops are balanced -- so important. Great reddish amber color, good foamy head, lacing. Nice resinous (but not too resinous) nose, also some floral notes. Flavor is rich, strong, but balanced. Good firm malt base isn't overwhelmed. Clean mouthfeel, surprisingly NOT oily (cf. many IPAs). I'm happy to live near where this is made; I can get it regularly. Poured from can to glass, 21 July '16. One drawback: NO DATES! Hey folks, put canning dates on your beer!!

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -1%

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Sampled from can

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.9/5  rDev +25%

Hoppocalypse is a great beer, and if one hasn't tried it I would suggest that if one has the opportunity to, that one try it. The art on the can is pretty cool in its own right, moreover, the beer its self, takes a really cool twist on the hop-centric crafting phenomenon, and delivers an awesome beer/ale in the process of doing so.

The foam is quite thick and lasts per se on the side of cup. The color is a sort of shadow-red, a pretty interesting, rich color. The taste is pretty awesome, and really unique. When one first sips it, one is greeted by a sort of tanginess almost, that I haven't encountered in any other beer that I can think of right now, with such a high IBU/Alchohol content. This is followed by a sort of tangy hop shell, that is really unique, and pretty cool and original.

The body is also quite good. It stays intact per se, and doesn't sort of fracture as some beers with a high tangyness or sugar content tend to do, on occasion. I sort of understand where others are coming from with the "Belgian" quality to the smell, as it is sort of richly "floral", with that hint of tangy richness that colors the flavor.

This is a really good, unique beer. I haven't tried many beers like it, if any, and I would definitely encourage anyone on a sort of beer-study/appreciation trip per se to try it, its a really tasty, unique, beer. A great beer/ale, and very original, kudos.

Red Hoppocalypse Imperial Ale from Apocalypse Ale Works