American Super Stout | MadTree Brewing

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

2.56/5  rDev -34.2%

I love MadTree, and I love the fact that they brewed an imperial stout, but this one didn't hit the mark. It's a nice, strong, black stout, and it would be an outstanding beer if it weren't for the very strong taste of green apples (acetaldehyde). I hope the keep brewing the same recipe but fix the off flavor. I couldn't drink it because of the apple flavor, and I'm surprised they served it knowing that wasn't quite right. I love their other beers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap and in growler from MadTree's tap room.

Pours black with a bit of brown and light peeking through on the edges. Big cocoa head appears. A light nose of dark chocolate and slightly underattenuated sugars. Mild, but tasteful, in spite of the beer's acronym :) . The taste is like two different beers. Starts with that underattenuated sugar that is becoming *the* it thing in BA imperial stouts these days and I happen to love. Then comes around with a much dryer, dark chocolate, cocoa flavor that is a bit more euro in quality. The latter is a tough jarring, but in general, even though they don't meld all that well, its a nice set of flavors. The body is large with an appropriately light-moderate carbonation. I really like this beer, and recognize that a barrel will be pretty nice to it. Got a chance to try a not quite ready pull from the barrel and it was very nice.

Like what y'all are doing! Keep it up.

American Super Stout from MadTree Brewing