Smoked Vanilla Porter | Fort Myers Brewing Company

fmbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Added by Gtreid on 05-25-2013

3.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Review from notes taken at Fort Myers Brewing taproom on 5/25/13. Poured on draft into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a medium chestnut brown with a 1/2 finger eggshell white head. Minimal lacing. Not nearly as dark as I expect from a porter. Looked like a brown ale.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee and just a little bit of sweet vanilla.

Taste: Sweet vanilla dominates throughout. There is also a bit of roasted malt and just a touch of smoke and bitter hops at the finish. Aftertaste is more sweet vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation. Not as thick and creamy as I would have liked.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. You could drink a few of these without any trouble.

Overall: Pretty decent beer overall. As a porter, I don't think it worked particularly well. If I could ignore the style (which I can't), I'd say it would make a nice brown ale. This isn't my favorite offering from Fort Myers Brewing, but judging by the reaction of other people at the brewery, they seemed to really enjoy it.

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the brewery. Poured into my new fbc tulip.

A: Hazy brown color. One finger of sand colored head appeared, little to no lace. Color reminds me more of a brown ale than a porter. IMHO, it should be more black.

A: I pick up notes of roasted malt, smoke, and sweet vanilla. The smoke is not prominent at first but comes on after the beer warms.

T: Pretty solid roasty and smoke flavor with the vanilla sweetness coming on at the back.

M: A touch on the light side. Would like to see this a bit thicker on the palate. Excellent carbonation.

O: Soild offering from the guys at FMBC. Would definitely try again.

Smoked Vanilla Porter from Fort Myers Brewing Company