Hops, Hops, Hops (I Love Hops)
Full Tilt Brewing

Notes:
View: Beers
mynie from Maryland

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another beer from Full Tilt, another can whose label looks like a Deviantart post from 2007.

The title is a rather strained reference to Will Ferrel's Anchorman, in which Ron Burgundy would hum/sing a little song about how much he loves Scotch. Which is really one heck of a stretch.

The pour is a very cloudy yellow with a retentive white head--much denser hop oil opacity than even the beer they label as a "hazy IPA."

Their website says this is hopped with Motueka, Rakau, and Citra , and to be honest I don't really know off hand what those first two are supposed to smell or taste like. A quick google tells me that they're both New Zealand varietals, and so this should be an interesting blend.

The aroma is not nearly as the beer's title led me to anticipate: clear nodes of citra buffeted by spicier hops. Actually quite smooth. Which is a good thing, I guess.

The flavor, again, is nowhere near the alpha bomb I was expecting from a beer whose name contains the word "hops" four times. It's quite odd, actually. Not in a bad way, though. It's a strong citra DIPA up front, but then in the back there's a pleasantly oil rush of pineapple followed by a finish that's like viscous coconut oil. It tasted a bit medicinal my first couple sips but that was just because I was expecting something very different. After I acclimate, I start to enjoy it quite a bit.

Well I'll be... an expensive beer (5 bucks per pint can) that actually tries something new and succeeds. I can't see this being the foundation of a new trend--or, more likely, it's aping some trend that I've lost track of since I started switching back to flagships around the end of last year. I can't say for sure whether I'll be ponying up the cash to try it again, but I was not at all disappointed by it.

Aug 15, 2020