Sour Trouble Sour Brown Ale | Liquid Riot Bottling Company

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Jason on 07-08-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

I may be incorrect, but if memory serves, this CAN came to me courtesy of a high school classmate who now lives near Portland, in Maine, and knows my affinity for CANned beers when she deigns to visit. If it came from someone else, you have my apologies & may CANtact me so that I CAN set the record straight. Viva The CANQuest (tm)!

From the CAN: "Liquid Riot Bottling Company was established on the waterfront in Portland's Old Port, just blocks from City Hall and the location of the Portland Rum Riot, in homage to those that fought for their beverage of choice. As Maine's first Brewery/Distillery/Retro-bar, we take all the passion and energy of these past riots and put it into our own liquids, bottled, [CAN]ned or on tap, made fresh locally for your enjoyment."

A recent article on this site & in print gave renewed question to the presence of Bisphenol A (BPA) as the (possibly harmful) lining in CANs. Hey, just like the ham & eggs analogy to involved vs. CANmitted, in ham & eggs, the chicken is involved, the pig is CANmitted so am I CANmitted to beer in CANs. One of the big questions was CAN sours work in CANs? Well, I am about to find out.

I Crack!ed the CAN open, but I felt like a virgin so I gently Glugged its CANtents into my awaiting glass. It was as fizzy as pop, I'll tell you! I got the briefest finger of fizzy, light-tan head that quickly dissipated & disappeared, so I tried again with an in-glass swirl with the same result. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity. Nose struck me with a sourness that resonated in the hinges of my jaw and made my ears Pop! It was like the sour cherries that my late maternal grandfather used to grow to make wine. I remember biting into one as a kid and being astounded by its flavor. This reeked with acidity & if anything was going to give me BPA poisoning, it would be this beer! I CAN't wait. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. I really liked the taste, even without being a sour beer fan. It had a reimagined cherry cola-like taste, if pop could be reimagined as a sour. It was NOT tart, since tart makes you pucker. Sour hits you along the jawline & up into the ears, slowly seeping into the sinuses. I have had some that were downright painful, but this was quite palatable. Sour cherry cola with a wooden oakiness. Phew. Finish was super dry, but how could it be anything else? My tongue and mouth felt like I was trying to breathe, as an asthmatic, during a Saharan haboob. Gah. I need my inhaler. Okay. Enough. I surrender.

3.56/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can from 7/11
Slightly murky deep copper with faint garnet and a thin wispy tan head that persists. Light smoke brown sugary toffee malt with hints of sour cherry on the nose. There's more tartness in the flavor than the aroma suggested and its fruity tart. Still a pretty big malt presence with brown sugary toffee thats got hints of smoke and chocolate. Reminds me a lot of a scotch ale but with some lactic thrown into the mix. Odd mashup but it kind of works.

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.5/5  rDev -59.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.71/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.22/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

A dark brown color with a red tinge. A tiny head with the pour, but it disappeared quickly.
Sweet, fruity aroma.
Fruity taste, a little toffee.
Mildly tart in the mouth.
Nice beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.49/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Look appears a deep reddish brown nearly no head to it very minimal carbonation
Smells of stone fruits peaches and hints of apricot tickle my nose with a slight funk
Taste tart but not too much nice fruity taste very peachy with some apple
Overall a very good sour beer extremely approachable to anyone new to sour beer but also someone who has tried some of the finer sours as well. Very refreshing

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast