Nap Time Liquid Creation - Kaiju

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Shiredave from New York

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pink background behind a black sketch of a sharp toothed, winged insectoid beastie recalling Mothra the oft time ally of Godzilla a fellow Kaiju. (google it)
Now a brewery can call a beer whatever they want. Nap Time calls this an IPA at 5.5%. This is a pale ale guys i don't care how many pounds of hops you use. But I'll humor you 'cuz I like ya.
It can't look better. I tried to find a reason not to give it 5 for appearance and couldn't find one.
Bright golden with a 2-1/2 inch head of sticky, rocky, pure white foam that draped over half the glass and stayed till empty.
Steady streams of carb bubbles rise through a nearly crystal clear liquid.
I am not familiar with Southern Passion or Topaz hops used in this but I don't get any "new" aromas, although I do smell hop smells I am used to in herbal and floral notes reminiscent of German types like Tettnanger and UK Goldings earthiness. Cooked grain and nuts mix in and make it interesting, but all subtle aromas, not loud and IPA-ish to me though spot on for a pale ale.
Flavor is hop bitterness up front, a sharp, grassy slap on the tongue with some mild malt sweetness moving in as it warms up. Ok so this has the IBU's of an IPA and the malt bill of a pale. Been done before many times and many not as well as this.
While it lacks some balance there is a malt presence that keeps this from being light in body - not quite medium but not at all watery.
A nice hoppy session ale but a bit over dry for me.

Jun 05, 2020
Nap Time Liquid Creation - Kaiju from Andean Brewing Company / Nap Time Liquid Creation