Pink Drink | Hi-Wire Brewing

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by Davidayoder on 09-23-2016

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'd had a can of Pink Drink sitting in my basement for a few months now - it was buried under a pile of cans that I keep meaning to drink or send out to friends. While the name was novel and always cracked me up a bit, I wasn't all that excited to drink it.

So I'm trying to clean out my cellar a bit at the moment, and Pink Drink was a prime candidate - I cracked it yesterday after a disappointing experience with a local IPA... and had a very pleasant surprise. Pink Drink smells and tastes quite a lot like a very fresh framboise minus any funk. The raspberry nose and taste are terrific. The texture and mouthfeel are just slightly thin, but the raspberry is quite full. I didn't quite catch any lemongrass, but I won't complain about that. The sourness is there, without a lot of tartness - and while I'd worried that it might be dry, it's not at all. Well done.

In the end, my only complaint was that I didn't have another can. Pity that this was only brewed the one time - it was quite delicious!

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance - Pours light pink like grapefruit juice with decent white head that quickly dissipates not much lacing.

Aroma - Nice balance of wheat, lemon/lime and a light raspberry. There is a light salty aroma and a little sweetness.

Taste - The taste is not as salty as I expected based on the aroma, more lemon juice and raspberry. There is also a decent amount of wheat. Light refreshing flavors.

Feel - light bodied, crisp prickly carbonation slightly dry finish.

Overall - A really great aroma I could use a little stronger flavors from the salt and raspberry but otherwise a solid beer.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Look: Poured into a snifter from a can. A striking pinkish-orange hue. There was a modest light pink head that quickly disappeared and left no trace.
Aroma: tart lemon, faint raspberrries, some wheat.
Taste: not as tart as expected - in the mild/moderate range with a nice subtle raspberry and lemon blend. The wheat gave it good balance. The finish was clean and slightly lemony.
Feel: between light and medium bodied with medium carbonation. Easy drinking.
Overall: I really enjoyed this. Crisp and refreshing. Large flavor and good balance.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very fruity and somewhat tart, the first couple sips I thought it was kind of refreshing (they should have released it for summer rather than fall). But about halfway through the 16 Oz can, it became obvious I wasn't going to be able to finish it. Too much like grapefruit juice, not enough like beer. Gave the rest to my wife, who liked it better than I did. With a name like Pink Drink and the pink can, I think this is marketed more for her than me anyway (or maybe I'm just an ignorant ass). Won't be revisiting this one.

Pink Drink from Hi-Wire Brewing