Forza Azzurri | Castello Di Udine S.p.A.

2.71/5

Added by BlackHaddock on 04-06-2007

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

2.25/5  rDev -17%

1.74/5  rDev -35.8%

Labeled as Forza Italia, but this is the same thing.

A: The pour on this is very pale yellow/straw in color with a short lived white head.

S: Intense aromas of corn, straw, grass, and garbage. Very, very skunky, too. Despite the rather pungent off notes, it's also watery. Mild to moderate sweetness.

T: Things don't vary much on the palate. Moderately bitter, with plenty of grass and garbage. Overcooked and potentially rotten corn with a nice cardboard flavor to it as well.

M: Light in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: This was very unenjoyable. Not that I really expected it to be.

Pours a clear gold with decently retained half inch dense white head and decent lacing. Seemed slightly lightstruck when poured, but the skunk is gone quickly. Smell: bready malt and grassy hops. Taste: subdued grassy hops, watery malts, maybe some cereal grains - it's got a rice-esque smoothness. Mouthfeel: light bodied, drying bitterness from the noble hops. This isn't bad, on par with Nastro Azzuri which would seem to be it's main competition.

4.07/5  rDev +50.2%

I picked this one up at a gourmet foods store on a whim. I haven't had many Italian beers, nor have many of them impressed me so I figured I owed it to my Italian heritage to try Forza Azzuri.

Appearance: A very clear golden color with little to no head and less carbonation than I had expected from this skunky Euro lager

Smell: Very sweet and corny smell. Nothing too impressive here.

Taste: Starts with a great hoppy bitterness followed by a fairly well balanced sweetness. The sweetness becomes too much for me in the aftertaste as it tends to linger. I prefer my lagers less sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, and very smooth on the palate. The mouthfeel may be this beer's strongest attribute behind its drinkability.

Drinkability: This is one of those beers that gets better with each one. The sugars build up over time and make the sweetness not only bearable but rather enjoyable. Along with the mouthfeel I could certainly see myself putting back quite a few of these, however, for the price you're probably better off with something else.

Overall, I did enjoy drinking this beer, it just didn't wow me.

2.43/5  rDev -10.3%

Green 33cl (11.2fl oz) bottle, claims to be an Italian Export Lager and a premium lager at that.

Poured into a Veltins stemmed 0.2 litre glass.

Pale and no head to talk of, very light golden yellow, with bubbles rising through the body then disappaiting without adding to the non-head already there.

Slight floral aroma, but not a lot of anything.

Floral taste too, a weird, sweet flavour, not for me.

I have tried many lagers in my time, this one was drank in my garden on one of those rare hot sunny days we sometimes have in April. It is a poor example of a Euro fizz beer, no body to the beer, very watery in fact. The worst Italian lager I have ever had.

Forza Azzurri from Castello Di Udine S.p.A.