Pals Strong Beer

Notes:
View: Beers
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%

Today is H, 14 Mai 2020 & I am in deep isolation during the COVID-19 crisis, giving me ample time to clear out my backlog. This one will CANtinue a few days of imports for The CANQuest (tm). This one came to me from local, in-person trader @tone77 following a trip to Italy!

From the CAN: "Beer * Biere * Birra".

It was quite the day, including a field trip to Maryland & back & now, I was ready for a beer! I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent, followed by a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. It foamed up nicely to form two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a gorgeous solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity = button-brightness. 8=O Nose had a pleasant breadiness, leaving me hopeful for what was coming. Mouthfeel was medium, but a bit thin for the style. The taste was probably one of the best that I have had in this style. It was bready, all-malt, no perceptible hops and just hint of pink bubble gum. You might think that this was a flaw and it is, but I have had some that reeked of it (& worse, dry cleaning plant fluid!) so this was actually pleasant & quite drinkable. In fact, I had to keep reminding myself that it was 8.5% ABV since it certainly did not taste like it! That is one of the real dangers of a really well-made beer in this style: it CAN be super smooth & easy drinking. This one definitely was! 8=O Finish was dry, undoubtedly by design of the yeast & amping up the alcohol. Phew. I was glad to have had the ChANce to try it, but one was plenty. YMMV.

May 14, 2020
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.11/5  rDev -10.9%

I tried this beer while on vacation in Naples. Poured from a 16.9 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is very mild, a bit of grains. Taste is of malts and alcohol, little else is present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, I have had worse cheap beers at this abv, but it's nothing special.

Feb 19, 2020
Pals Strong Beer from Castello Di Udine S.p.A.