Bitter Rival | The Tap Brewing Company

3.66/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip glass

Pours a nice cloudy golden copper color with a fluffy biege head. There is sediment but not a mood killer.

Not getting much on the nose other than some floral notes and sweet bread.

First sip gives me citrus peels, grapefruit, lot of bitterness and sweetness. The biterness lingers on the palate. As you keep drinking you get tropical notes such as mangoes and sweet clementines.

Good medium body with good carbonation. I felt a bit of stickiness as well.

I like this beer. Great tag on the bottle that describes it perfectly. Liquid brutality. Brutal hops but balances slightly with a bit of sweetness. It isn't my favorite IPA in the state. I wanted more from the nose but not a deal breaker.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

4.0 3.75 4.0 4.25 4.0

This beer pours with a lot of sentiment. The liquid is red-orange-dark amber. Small, but lumpy head--slowly recedes. Great frothy lace.

The smell is a pleasant combination of semisweet caramel and mild floral hop.

Smooth start with a rich toasted malt up front. The hop is strong in the swallow, very similar to black pepper. Good carbonation to balance the full body.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy copper with a fluffy white head. Head lasts and leaves tight lacing rings. Second half of the 220z bomber kicked up a ton of sediment. This is something I've experienced before from this brewery. Cosmetic issue only though.

S - Piney hops, caramel sweetness, biscuit.

T - Hop bitterness is very overpowering. I was expecting a little more hop aroma and flavor, but it really lives up to its bitter name. I do like it, but not what I expected from a Best Coast IPA.

M - Light body, light carb, leaves the palate and tongue incredibly dry.

O - It's a clever name, especially since I'm a fan of the Boston hockey club. The flavor is lopsided with the bitterness. I would've preferred a little more of the hop flavor to come through.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Well I already wrote a review for this but when I clicked 'review' it was washed away. So here is an abbreviated version. Love seeing my review being obliterated due to site alterations...I digress.

A-Pours cloudy and orange with a thin, off white head.

S-Aroma is surprisingly lacking much definable hoppiness. I can't pick out any specific words to describe the hops here; I actually can't pick up much hoppiness in the nose. It's grainy and I smell some caramel but I really am struggling to sniff out any describable hoppy notes. No specifics. *As it warms I get some floral and citric hops but when it's ice cold, the hops are silent.

T-While I had trouble finding the hops in the nose, the flavor is a bit different. It's resoundingly bitter. However, the hoppy bitterness is almost soulless. There are no specific flavors I pull from it; it lacks definitive flavor. It's more of a noxious plume of bitterness that rolls over the tongue and chokes away any specific flavor. I find that the malt is easier to describe: caramel, grain, bread crust. If forced to describe the flavor of the hops - bitter, strong, pine.

M-Medium bodied. Exuberant bitterness. Desert dry. Alcohol hidden well. Pleasant carbonation that helps to aerate the palate.

O-This beer is bitter just for bitter's sake. There is no finesse, but I guess that's want they were going for. I was disappointed by the nose. The flavor was better. Both the aroma and taste got better as the beer warmed. This review may seem mostly negative but to be quite honest, I will take a tooth-melting IPA any day and be pretty happy. It clearly got better as it warmed up.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%