Journey Pale Ale | Enki Brewing

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Enki Brewing
Minnesota, United States
enkibrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly Citric Journey

Added by morimech on 10-12-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 23
3.61/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appears a clear, dark amber color with just over a finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Light lacing is left down the glass.

Has a fruity hop aroma. I would not call it citrus but more tropical fruit. Maybe it is fruity esters that are giving me that impression. The malt smells bready.

A balanced APA. Now I am just getting a bit of citrus but still more tropical fruit. Nice malt bill that carries the flavors well. A little caramel and toffee. Yeast adds some fruity esters as well as a touch of butter in the finish. I think they used a British yeast strain so that would explain the diacetyl qualities. Bitterness is moderate. A balanced, bigger APA.

Medium body and suitably carbonated. Nice smooth feeling.

Interesting APA that I feel many may object to because of the British yeast, as this is not as cleanly flavored as most are accustomed to. I like it as it adds some old world charm. Not convinced that the New World hops work with the British yeast. If the brewer chose to go completely British with the ingredients to produce an EPA or EIPA, I suspect I would of loved the beer.

Journey Pale Ale from Enki Brewing