Booming Rollers - Double Dry-Hopped

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Booming Rollers - Double Dry-HoppedBooming Rollers - Double Dry-Hopped
Notes: We took the juicy, Citra-laden wonder that is Booming Rollers and catapulted it to dizzying heights of dankness via a massive double dry-hopping with Citra, Motueka, Centennial, and Citra Cryo. The result is a staggeringly tasty liquid vortex of tropical delights with a delicate malt body and a sublimely refreshing, snappy bitterness to round the whole thing out. Its a glorious testament to excess, and you’ve been afforded the rare opportunity to experience it firsthand.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 6
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

A big ol' can of double dry-hopped IPA from the solid Modern Times is sitting in my glass right now, and I'm wondering when I had the normal/non-DDH version of this beer. Must've been some time last year, and I recall liking it. Probably wrote about it for NBS. Perhaps I'll comb through my posts to see if I did, but anyway... this is a DDH version of Booming Rollers and features an extra dose of Citra Cryo hops on top of the Citra/Motueka/Centennial thing the basic model has.

Pours a light-medium amber/deep gold color with a thin and rather unassuming head that nevertheless laces quite well. No legs to speak of, unfortunately. Not too impressed with the appearance here, honestly. It's definitely an unfiltered IPA, but not a haze-bomb, so I think it's kind of supposed to be a more "traditional" WCIPA, which I can definitely appreciate, but that head is just not speaking to me, and the color still seems a little bit darker than it should.

The nose is onion-forward with some light earthy notes, raspberry, orange, guava, and terpene/oily dankness popping out all over the place. Very unfocused and somehow not as hoppy as I expected. I wonder how much of the "raw" character has to do with Cryo hops, though I've never found Cryo/LupulN2/whatever it's called now to be very harsh. This is really hoppy but at the same time it has a less-intense smell to it than the brewery might've wanted it to have. I get that feeling, anyway.

On the tongue, I get a surprising amount of pineapple crossed with red raspberry and... plum? It's definitely got an off-kilter dark fruit element combining with the earthy/vegetal hops and strong dank backing elements. Crisp and unobtrusive malt backing with a bit of light ethanol in there... or is that just pure hop oils? This thing is super slick and oily, with a very smooth mouthfeel and dry finish, but it's definitely thick with hops. The issue is just that nothing here really coalesces into a working beer. It seems at-odds with itself and tries to do a bit too much while simultaneously not going far enough. Not huge into it, but it's alright. I'll stick with the original, though I prefer Space Ways and Critical Band from MT by far compared even to the regular BR. Just my taste, but there's no accounting for that.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned on 8/14/19; consumed on 9/7/19 - poured from a stovepipe into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Gold/amber gradient, not quite clear with an active whisper of foam up top. Mediocre retention; vague lacing.

Candied tropical fruit in the nose with hints of white grapefruit, peach, tangerine, etc. Not "dank" despite the marketing copy - perhaps that quality vanished not long after packaging?

Palm sugar, citrus, and faint floral/spicy notes. Hints of fennel fronds in the medium-dry finish. Malt bill, while subtle, remains present throughout - so this is less a showcase for hops than I was anticipating.

Well balanced, decent carbonation, not too sticky but never quite crisp either. ABV is low enough to enjoy but high enough to slow you down.

While a decent ale, Booming Rollers is probably my least favorite seasonal offering from Modern Times for some reason, and the double-dry-hopped version failed to deliver much additional enjoyment.

4.01/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a sexy bright blue stovepipe can into a shaker glass.

Unfiltered pale gold with half a finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is citrusy and fresh like sea air. Maybe light melon also.

Taste is honeydew, lemon, light peach.

Mouthfeel is light, kind of dry. Drinkable...glad it’s in larger cans

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Oh my sweet hell. No sir. No. Just not at all. Was this thing brewed in Gilroy? Cuz I’m getting hella garlic and onions in this thing like I asked for them on my double double pre going vegetarian. One sip, my children. One sip and this thing destroyed me like Godzilla ripping up Tokyo on acid.

I can’t. I just can’t.

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a great head. 2 fingers worth. Stays in place too.

S: Smells like Citra. Citrus and stone fruit.

T: Nothing like the nose. Tastes like the normal Booming Rollers

F: Thin. Oily. Silky

O: It's a good beer, but pointless really. Yeah it'd double dry hop and the nose is there, but that's it. The taste and feel are exactly the same as Booming Rollers. Save yourself the money and just buy the 4 pack.

Booming Rollers - Double Dry-Hopped from Modern Times Beer