Uncle | Rhinegeist Brewery

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Added by becktone on 07-07-2013

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 62
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler filled on 2/26/17. Nonic pint.

A: pours a clear, very dark reddish or medium brown with ruby hints. Two fingers of sandy head and very active carbonation - surprising for a two week old growler! Little lacing, retains a thick ring around the edge. Seems over carbonated for the style.

S: dark, toasty malts. Colombian coffee; nutty.

T: Toasty, crisp and clean. Lingering roasty malt. My last growler was a Brett beer, and I don't think I got it completely eradicated; there's a little sourness/funk. A little earthy or red apple skin English hop on the finish, but this is clearly a malt-driven affair. This would be killer with food. Nutty roast notes linger lightly on the finish. Pretty spot on.

M: medium to light bodied, with some slight slickness and very active carbonation. I drank 16 oz. in about a minute. Exceptionally refreshing. So I know this is way overcarbonated for the style, but this is the richest sub 5% beer I believe I've ever had. So I'm giving it some extra credit in this category.

O: I love English brown ales, and heard about this two years ago, and wanted to try it but the time was never right. It is a summer beer, and I can see why; this would be perfect for playing cards on a rainy August day. Absolutely worth trying, and I will continue to seek it out when available. My only knock would be that it is a mild; at 3.8%, it goes down easily and feels lightweight. I'd probably pick a 6% brown ale before this 8 times out of 10. The only other dark mild I've had is Ghettoblaster, and I think this is better.

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: brown caramel body with a little light escaping very little head was chunky and off white.

S:Mild is right hardly any nose at all maybe some light coffee faintest hints of malts.

T: light malts lots of grain corn hints of coffee.

M: medium bodied slight carbonation bite.

O: very easy drinking beer I can't really see where the Coffee comes in but it's a good beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of four beers in a flight which included a 11%+ barrel aged scotch ale...and this baby held its own and more. Pretty amazing beer especially at a sub-4% ABV. Couldn't tell you much about the color other than it was brown. Light head and lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee grounds, nutty, earthy. Taste is toasted nuts, roasted malt, caramel, light roast coffee, toffee. That earthy nuttiness is the prize amidst a nice overall flavor profile. Finishes crisp and clean without a ligering bitterness. Stand out beer from the brewery.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I know nothing about this style. However, this is a very nice beer. I could drink many of these. Very clean clear look and not much nose. Taste toward the malty side but not sweet. It doesn't lean bitter either. Just a nice clean finish. Drinking this at the Brewery, which always makes beer taste better, but I would recommend this very approachable beer to anyone.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Eye: This beer is visually appealing. It pours a very nice light brown color with light orange, amber and ruby highlights. The pour on this beer(the last one in my growler) didn't produce quite as nice a head as all the others did, but hey, the growler has been open for a couple hours. I remember the head as being frothy and, picture perfect.

Nose: Nice aroma on this one. Its dead on for the style. This beer has a nice toasty, grainy, and biscuit like aroma. Slight caramel undertones, but nothing that is cloying or overpowering. Very clean yeast profile. This one is all about the malt. Well done!

Tongue: Toasty, hints of caramel, grainy-again perfect, dead on for the style. Hops are there in just the right amount to support and balance out this beer. Body is light as is the carbonation which is appropriate. This is definitely a session beer that I'll be coming back to. Really one of the best beers I've had in a while. I wouldn't suggest changing anything about this beer. Its quite perfect the way it is.

Drinkability: This is one to check out. Great local brewery that is doing it right making excellent beer. One that I'll definitely be coming back to. If you are in Cincinnati, check out this brewery, it is well worth it.

Uncle from Rhinegeist Brewery