Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Ratings: 2,146 |  Reviews: 710
2.86/5  rDev +0.7%

Despite what the "bros" posted Beck's is a good beer. Pours straw into the stein. Smell was faint but good. This beer tastes good. Feel was a little watery but also crisp and refreshing. Over all a decent German beer.

2.83/5  rDev -0.4%

2.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

L: brilliant straw to straw bold , permeated with rapidly rising bubbles under a 1" white foam cap with good retention

S: Skunky, some grain in the background and after a good bit of swirling the glass some cracker aroma comes but but the hops are all skunked out

T: flavors start initially slightly sweet white cracker and by mid palate a pleasant hop bitterness emerges quickly sabotaged by a sharp, harsh acrid skunky bitterness

F: medium light with medium carbonation

O: Why am I reviewing an obviously flawed beer? Because the majority of Beck's that I buy in the green bottle has the same flaw.

2.97/5  rDev +4.6%

Out of a pint can, a clear, golden straw in color. Lots of bubbles rising with a finger of quickly dissipating white foam. No lacing, really. In the aroma a little grass, very mild green apple, and lightly toasted grain. Flavor is mild, a little grassy, and grainy. Nothing off putting. There is a tiny bit of bitterness that builds as you drink. The feel is average carbonation, pretty dry, and medium thin body. Overall, just slightly more to my liking than a lot of AAL's, but not as tasty as Heinekin. Like a lot of other people, even if this has no adjuncts, if I want a fizzy yellow cheap beer, I'd most likely buy according to price.

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

2.5/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L - Pours with a thin head, clears slowly to lacing then a ring. Some ongoing rising CO2
S - Very feint. Dry hoppy, hint of malts
T - Subtler (hops-wise) than I remembered. Dry, hoppy but quite light overall.
M - Refreshing. Ideal for a very hot day like today. The hoppy dryness really lingers on the tongue.
O - I haven't had Becks in years. It's not the hop-bomb that I remember. Give it's 35C today this is perhaps an ideal beer. 5% but very refreshing and lighter on the flavour front.

Bought and drunk in Turkey on 1-Aug-2017. 50Cl can marked with dates 03/05/17 and 03/02/18
ps/add. Just realised this beer is brewed under license in Turkey by Efes [mega-brewery] in Istanbul.

1.28/5  rDev -54.9%

This beer is brewed by AB in St Louis and tastes nothing like the German brewed version. I wouldn't care much where it was brewed if it actually tasted the way it should, but it does not. It's been several years since they ruined this brand. I still see it listed as "German" on menus and this site. The day I first sipped a domestic Becks (several years ago) I made a stink face, said it tastes like Budweiser, looked around the label and found the reason why. It used to be my favorite all around beer. Now it is pretty low on the list. I used to say that although it was not my favorite beer in the world, if I were stuck on a desert island but with an endless supply of only one beer, I'd pick Becks. I wouldn't even think of it now.
So, I just tried it again after a several year hiatus and hoping for the best. Guess what. It's the same crap. However, I'll amend my first reaction about it tasting like Bud and say that it tastes a bit more like Michelob than Budweiser. Now although neither of those beers are bad (I think them to be quite good for what they are), to take my beloved becks, change everything about it, and make it taste the same as their other beers is next to criminal. The color / look seems a little greenish yellow, nothing really appetizing about it. A 3/5 would be ok, but for a Becks, I give it a 1.5/5. It smells nothing like a Becks, but instead has that kacky bud/mich/AB "hops" taste that all their other beers have. It lacks the slight skunkyness that I usually appreciate on first sniff, but it instead has a slight yeasty "poo" odor. No real grain aroma at all. It does not smell like a German beer, so I will give it a punitive 1/5 since it is supposed to and it fails at that. The same goes for the taste, but it's lacking any "poo", so 1.5/5. Although it's harder for me to remember exactly how it used to feel, it seems thin and dimensionless overall and likely is nothing like the real Becks and more like a Bub/Mich, so 1.5/5. Without the penalties, I'd usually give something around a 2 for a beer like this that could have been a 3 if not masquerading as something it is not. However, overall I give it a 1/5, based on the calculated 2 but with a stern penalty point for destroying my go-to beer and killing a great brand. Two thumbs down (and one finger up) to Becks and AB. This is hard for me to do since I love beer, in particular this style (or the style that this is supposed to be and used to be).

2.88/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

3.31/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.55/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

In my youth, this beer was considered a treat. This is the first Beck's I have had for several years, at a New Orleans jazz club named Fritzel's ( great music!). German named venue calls for a German named beer.

Anyway, this beer is ok. Best just fresh out of the bottle, sweet, grassy, a bit lemony. Good initial head from draft but almost no lacing.

It will be a while until I have another. I am thankful that so many good beer have come in to being since I was 21!

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I do not know about rating this as "poor". It sure beats any of the American Adjuncts out there...some of them getting "okays ". This import was a pleasure to drink when all you could get here in the U.S. was the typical AA beer.

A mass produced, average tasting European Lager.

2.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.65/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.43/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My favorite overall beer. I don't care that it's brewed by Anheuser Busch now I still enjoy the taste and the availability. Will always stock my fridge with this good German style beer as long as I can find it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer the real German Beck's, but I'm not going to throw a fit over it being brewed by AB

2.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.15/5  rDev -24.3%

2.38/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.