Vermont Vacation

From:
Sunriver Brewing Company

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: This New England style IPA combines barley, malted wheat and flaked oats with an abundance of juicy hops in hazy perfection. Vermont Vacation is a distinctly hoppy brew with lush notes of melon, citrus and pineapple.

Hops: Denali, El Dorado, Huell Melon, Citra
Malt: Premium NW 2 Row, Flaked Oats and Malted Wheat, Weyermann Carahell and Acidulated

OG: 1.065
John_M from Oregon

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I gather this is Sunriver Brewing's attempt to jump on the NE IPA style bandwagon.

On tap at NW Growlers the other day. The beer pours a hazy, opaque orange amber color, and frankly this looks more like a glass of orange juice than beer. The beer has very light lacing, but fairly decent head retention. On the nose, as I guess you would expect, there is a considerable aroma of tropical fruit and orange citrus. The citrus dominates, but even so, I also pick up some apricot, mango and peach as well. Unfortunately, that would be as good as things would get. On the palate, the orange citrus dominates to the point that the tropical fruit is almost completely drowned out. There's minimal bitterness in this IPA, though I picked up something of an aspirin like flavor in the finish (not an attractive feature). Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with something of a pulpy feel as well. I guess it's OK, though generally this isn't something I like to encounter in my IPA. Alcohol was fairly well integrated into the flavor profile, though I picked up a touch of heat in the finish.

This clearly isn't my cup of tea, and frankly, I struggled to drink the 12 ounce pour I ordered (am so happy I didn't order a pint of this). Sunriver makes a number of nice beers, and I like their vicious mosquito just fine, but they have a long way to go in their attempt to make a decent NE style IPA.

May 22, 2017