Tripel

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
TripelTripel
Notes: The Tripel is often considered the most approachable of Belgian ales. An exhuberant flaxen hue, ours has a medium body with big fruit flavors, moderate spice and hints of American hops poking through.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 43
4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm glad to see this Tripel is rated highly. It is really hard for an American micro to get close to the Belgian masters. Although it has 40 ratings, mine is only the second review. That also is unusual. 11/25/18 re-tasting: I'm still only the 2nd review !!!
(Ditto on 7/10/19 re-tasting !... and edit)

Be careful... as pouring abuse committed on this one will yield a big rocky head (but it goes away fast). Smells are full; malt worked by some quality yeast and spices that all come together well in a rich, yeasty Taste. While a peppery spice and hops runs from the Aroma to finish, it never interferes with the yeast-driven fruit... (I meant, malt.) While the alcohol finally makes its presence known in the finish, this Tripel went well with a variety of pizzas at a party; cleansed the palate for more cheese. My only regret is that I shared my bottle with too many others and wish I had bought two.
(7/10/19 update, paired with pesto and it was superb.)

11/25/18 Feeling I wronged myself by sharing, I went right back and bought another Tripel and kept it for two months.
It is still a very, very, very well-crafted tripel and I hope Une Anne' comes out with again it in 2019. (They did!) But since I didn't know for sure this was a rotating ale, I didn't share. (As was true for the June 2019 4-pack.)

Overall assessment: this is my sixth sampling from Une Annee. They know what they are doing. I'd like them to do more of the Belgian standards and fewer of the American wilds. But if we exclude "Fin Du Monde" from the formula, then One Annee's tripel may be among the Top 5 from this side of the pond.

3.81/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a really nice deep copper color with a huge white head, lesson here is pour this one slowly. I am seeing a lot of bubbles coming up from the bottom of my Duvel glass.

Not as strong a smell as I had expected. There's malt, yeast, citrus notes, and a hint of pepper spice.

Big spice notes up front. There's also a hint of citrus, and a Belgian yeast flavor. Somewhat peppery for the style, but has definite Belgian flavor notes.

Nice and smooth going down. let's you know this is a serious beer.

This is my first offering from this brewery, and I think they are off to a great start. While not my favorite US made triple, it is among the better ones I have tried. It has a Belgian character to it, the one thing I think could be improved is more fruit flavor. I am looking forward to trying more beers from this brewery, they just now have become available in my area.

Tripel from Une Année