Archean

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hopley from Massachusetts

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle that I've been sitting on for about a year, drank 1/3/18, just because I felt in the mood - and it really hit the spot.

Really quite tasty representation of the style - although I don't know if i would call this an altbier, a marzen, or an Oktoberfest.

The only real negative was that it was a gusher the moment it hit the glass. When it eventually settled down, it left nice chunky lacing and a clear copper color. Smell was fresh lager. Taste was malt heavy and crispy bread, with a random slugs of bitterness that I think came from unwanted chunks of head getting vacuumed up by me (no taste point ding here, I could have poured more daintily if I tried on my second fill). Mouthfeel was average. Psyched to try more Gneiss beers; can't believe it's taken me this long.

Jan 03, 2018
illpass78 from Maine

Tasting glass at Old Port Spirits in Portland.

Appearance: Clear amber, minimal head.

Aroma: Bread, malt. Not a dominant nose.

Taste: Classic altbier flavor. Malty and bready. Caramel, bread crust.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Good stuff.

Nov 04, 2016
gueuzeonhigh from Maine

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I'm always suspicious that a beer is bottle conditioned. I'm a bit apprehensive of opening the bottle. I sort of cringe as I ease off the cap. Some beers open meekly others burst forth onto the scene as if a genie is suddenly freed. And here it was- as I cursed seeing the libation tickle down the drain- a geiser bust forth and me doing a power chug to save the valuable liquid.

This one's a translucent dark straw perhaps light mahogany color. A small but long lived frothy head appeared.
Didn't lace the glass... but so what.

A nice bucolic nose-- mostly yeast.

Flavor- this one has malt up front-- somewhat sweet-- not sugar but maybe subdued hops with the pendulum leaning toward malt. I also noted citrus and yeast flavors.

Mouthfeel cordial but not noteable. It's all a nice well controlled combination of flavor, tartness, effervescence but I call it a life factor-- and this one's a little less.

Overall-- a very enjoyable beer. I've got to tank more of this so I'll probably revise this review.

Aug 19, 2016
puboflyons from New Hampshire

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

From the 550 ml. bottle. Sampled on July 8, 2016.

It is bottle conditioned so the pour is a slightly hazy but attractive looking mahogany-amber color with a modest head that fades slowly.

Nice crusty bread, sweet malts and slight honey aroma with a low hop profile present.

Medium smooth body.

There is a nice burst of sweet caramel malts in the flavor at first followed fast by crusty bread or bread dough and a bitterness that was bigger than anticipated. Crisp, clean finish. I enjoyed this one.

Jul 09, 2016