Cone Flakes IIPA
Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Cone Flakes IIPACone Flakes IIPA
Score:
Ranked #3,871
4.12 | pDev: 11.17%
From:
Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.

Connecticut, United States
Cone Flakes IIPACone Flakes IIPA
Notes:
Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 186 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Clear and golden colored with an eggshell white head that settles out to a 1/4 inch cap of tightly bubbled foam. Inviting aroma of citrus and pine. Flavor is immediately hoppy, with bursts of tangerine, pine, and grapefruit pith. Bracing bitterness, this is a delicious old school IPA, very west coast and not at all NEIPA. Subtle honey malt flavors ride beneath the hops, but the hop character stays front and center. Even mouthfeel, a tad creamy but also dry and crisp. If you're a old school hophead leaning more west than east, you must try this.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Unorthodox review:

Excellent lacing for a translucent brew. Strong hop aroma with tongue numbing hop flavors. Highly underrated brew. If you appreciate a strong hop flavor and bitterness, you can appreciate this beer. It would be hard to find another beer with such a hoppy punch. I never get tired of this one; it’s a winner.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was what I CANsider to be a real find recently! My first ship in the U.S. Navy, beginning in late-October/Early-November 1983, was the USS Fulton (AS-11), homeported in New London, CT but in the yards in Quincy, MA. It was everything that I did not want: east coast, non-underway & I was assigned to Deck Department, to boot. It was like they wanted me to be a 4 & out since all I really wanted was to be in San Diego on a seagoing vessel, like a CG or a DDG. 8=( Thanks to the Internet, guys that I have not heard from or even thought of in thirty years are resurfacing & the idea was floated for a reunion! Hellz, yeah! We bunked at the Groton Motor Inn (GMI) & visited the sub base in Groton, but NLON was the focus. Bank Street is an abandoned ruin (mostly), but I found myself at the Universal Package Store in NLON, which is where I glommed onto this one. My old shipmates were amazed at my haul when I caught up with them, but good beer is not their scene. More for me!

From the CAN: "We call it Cone Flakes because you might as well have poured hop into a bowl, added beer. and used a spoon."; "Cone Flakes is brewed with 6 hop varieties strategically added during the brewing process to provide a maelstrom of fruity and herbal hop tones. Look for flavors of mango, ruby red grapefruit, melon, thyme/herbs, and pine."

I was looking for them all as I Crack!ed open the vent & beCAN my slow, gentle Glug to welcome my CT visitors to PA. it/they reciprocated with a spritz due to its being another brimful craft CAN! I got off a steady Glug as it just seemed to want to foam almost unCANtrollably. It finally settled in to become two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with very good retention that slowly fell to wisps, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose smelled like CANdied hops! Never had? Try your local homebrew shop. They are hard CANdies made with hops & they taste fabby! This smelled like essence of hops or hops oil, no one particular smell, but a mélange that simply set my hophead mouth to watering. Imagine the range from grapefruit to pine with tropical in the center & you begin to clue in. Mouthfeel was big, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue. The taste was really nice, more citrusy than piney, more citrusy that tropical but not so citrusy as to be dominating. Every sip was a revelation. It was as though it wanted to slowly unpack its hoppiness, one variety at a time, don all of them & then jump out, shouting "Ta-dah!" Phew! I was left reeling, but in a good way. Finish was dry, bitter & just the way I prefer in this style. Mmm. YMMV.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear with darker yellow/light brown hue. A crisper taste with a subdued smell. Good finish and regular cans allow for another without feeling overwhelmed by the ABV.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

More of an old school IPA taste that reminds me of Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but with more of a kick. Starts off fruity and dank with grapefruit then piney notes, and finishes bitter. A world class IPA in my opinion, but your mileage may vary depending on your palate.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a murky yellow to orange color with a medium sized white head. The aroma was all hops. The taste was a nice blend of hops and malt. very enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a rich rosey caramel amber. Good thick appealing head. Aroma wasn't reaching me. Couldn't really register, my sniffer is hit or miss tho. Flavor was great. The bitter that I find essential to IPA was present, along with pine. After reading the description on the can it said "thyme/herb notes"... So after biasing myself by reading i did detect and concur. Kinda noticing some of what I think to be simcoe fishiness/oily character that takes it out of contention for "perfect IPA status" but this is very good. Lingering bitterness. A complex melange of notes. New school hop varietal flavors mingling with old school grass and class. Keep em comin firefly hollow!

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a cloudy copper color. One finger of off white head. Nice sticky lacing covers the side of the glass. Visible small particles look as if they are suspended in animation.

S: Some fruits, Pine and malts. Good aroma but on the weak side. Becomes sweeter as the the beer warms.

T/M: Hops. Pine. Bitter. Complex hop palate. One hop variety leads to another. The fruits are sweet, mango and such. A little citrus also. Medium. Finish is dry with a slight linger of bitter melon. Alcohol feel is minimal but noticible at 7.7%.

O: Well made IPA. Complex hops. Delicately brewed. Has its own distinct taste. Is more of a sipper for me.

Cheers!!

3.76/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; bronze in color; 1 finger ivory head that receded to a thin collar; very little lacing;

S: grapefruit, pine, pineapple, a little spicy;

T: pine, earthy, a little mint; mild bitterness at the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

O: good, but not great; the combination of flavors doesn't blend together well (for my taste);

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A solid IIPA. The aroma and taste are solid citrus, pine resin hops, though the aroma is not as strong as I expect after tasting it. Repeated sips reveal some faint tropical fruits perhaps, but the main flavors are solidly piney hops. Nice feel, medium body and a bit slick. Good balance too, nice caramel malt to support a decent level of bitterness.

Overall very good! Nothing unusual here, just a real solid IIPA.

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Made a Friday ride home whim purchase of a 4 pk from my local of this local IIPA. I had never heard of FFHBrewing before today. I liked the cloudy yellow/orange color and loved the bright Hop aroma. The brew has a great mix with the hops and malt flakes and has a wonderful aftertaste that hop heads should appreciate but juicers may not. I'll revisit this and try other brews from Firefly Hollow Brewing. I agree this should rate higher and it's stands along side Captains Daughter from Grey Sail RI.

4.44/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured this beer from a can purchased directly from the brewery. The nose on this beer jumped out at me. Great citrusy smell. Taste had a great mixture between malt, citrus and some nice complex hoppiness. I really enjoyed this beer and did not taste like a beer with that (somewhat) high alcohol content.
I believe this beer is worthy of a higher rating than an 87.

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into tulip glass. Pours a mostly transparent medium-dark orange, with medium head and a sticky bit of lacing. The smell starts off as a muted floral bouquet of hops, then is mellowed out by some malt presence. The taste mostly follows suit, however, it leaves a very strange odd-hop aftertaste in my mouth. If it wasn't for the finish/aftertaste, I would have given this a higher rating. Would not purchase again.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Sampling a cold can poured into my snifter. The beer pours a fairly clear copper color with a fluffy eggshell white head of .5 cm foaming up on the pour. The aroma is pine sap and resin with a bit of floral notes and lemon and grapefruit rind. I also get a bit of bready malt notes buried underneath the hops. The nose is a little milder than I would have expected but does have decent complexity.
The first sip reveals an average body with average and prickly carbonation that tingles across my palate. The feel is slightly slick and it washes towards my gut effortlessly on the swallow.
The flavor is a bit of caramel and then significant hop complexity with some sweet fruit, with mango and melon notes and I also get an herbal quality and a fairly astringent grapefruit rind hit that lingers on my palate after each swallow. The finish is very dry and leaves bitterness in its wake. I dont get any booze or warming so the 7.7% is well hidden. This feels more of an "old school" DIPA and isnt in the current juice bomb category IMO. I do really enjoy the beer and find it very drinkable for its heft and complex and interesting while not just burning my palate before the end of the can.
Definitely worth trying if you are a hophead, or just appreciate a well made beer.

2.37/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had this at Eli Cannons and it was extremely bitter with little to no hop aroma, so I chalked it up to a bad batch. Finally went the brewery to pick up some fresh. Same thing, very bitter, slightly alcoholic, little hop aroma, medium hop flavor...ended up in the drain.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: turbid orange almost no lacing
Smell; tropical
Taste: tropical; sweet at start mild bitterness, harsh unpleasant alcohol flavor, with a strange sweetness
Fell: very drinkable
Overall: okay beer

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm actually surprised this beer doesn't score over the 90 mark on BA. I got handed a 4-pack of these at my local shop in Southwestern CT after I asked the beer manager for some Single Cut, which they were out of. The bitter, hop-forwardness caught me off guard as I drank my first one before heading out to the Zootopia movie with my wife and kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon. In the hours following I found myself just sort-of craving that taste. I finished the 4-pack that weekend and while I was passing near Bristol CT two weeks later, I picked up 6, 4-packs at the brewery. This batch tastes a little more brown/malty to me than the original 4-pack, though still excellent. To me, this compares well with beers like Ghandi-Bot, Captain Daughter, etc. It's somewhat more bitter. In fact that's it strongest trait. Tends to sit at the back of the roof of my mouth whereas the something like the NEBCO beers are more up front behind my teeth, like I want to chew on their hops . And it's definitely not a Treehouse hazy juice-bomb or dank new England IPA - whatever we want to call them. But I think it's still just a damn excellent double IPA with a strong lingering bold bitterness. The smell is subdued as some have noted but does seem to open up if you drink it from a wide mouthed open glass. As a score of 90 on BA is usually my cutoff for buying a beer site-unseen. I would (if I could) give Cone Flakes a 92 as opposed to the 87 it's got while I'm writing this review.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Minus one overall rating point because it's not Treehouse... :)

totally kidding
The real deal, not for the sesame street kids out there, for real men and women who drink genuine craft beer.
Juicy, Deep, Full flavored hops, assertive yet smooth bitterness and a mighty malt profile to back it all up.

What more do you want, except to get your hands on this great brew?

Seek this out, you will be wishing you did sooner.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Local beer guy just told me to pick up a 4pack of this and I'm damn glad he did. Not gonna go into too many specifics, because at a certain point all these reviews sound the same. Smell is kinda underwhelming, but the taste is absolutely spot on. Perfect balance of fruit and piney, sweet and bitter. It's like a next level DIPA version of Sea Hag. Thanks local beer guy, I'll never pass on this stuff again. Might be my new favorite CT DIPA

A: Slightly hazy light amber, 1 finger white head, decent retention, head settles to a ring, light lacing.
AR: Pine, grapefruit, lemon peel, mango, bready malt.
T: Follows nose, a good balance of malt/hops on the palate, just slightly juicy at times, pleasant lingering bitter pine.
M: Medium carbonation, medium body, somewhat dry.

Solid beer. Would drink again.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely amazing beer to represent the signature "New England" IPA style
Bright glowing orange daisy color
Hazy visibility - My fingers aren't seen on the other side
Very juicy with sharp, hoppy bites
Piney undertones

I had it on draft and in can. The can was fresher and better.
This is a must have for New England beer lovers

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Medium off-white head, clear rich yellow amber – it does not look like pee but does look a little uriney – slight lacing

Aroma: Winey hops with a dank essence – rich and pleasant – hoppy – very slight citrus – very slight sweet pine, not fresh green pine

Taste: Slight citrus essence but more hoppy arrival – quick finish – leaves bitterness on tongue that stays – estery somewhat =- medium body mouth feel – bitter parts of the hops not really balanced as well as it could be – piney, bitter, strong, resiny – the more you drink, the more it stays on the tongue – slight sweetness/maltiness – gets hoppier as you drink the first glass – Doesn’t seem as bright and fresh as from the growler.

Final thoughts: Don’t appreciate after-taste of hops – bitterness remains in the mouth – very hoppy bitter beer, but good, pleasing taste if you like strong hops

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours transparent orangeish color with soapy head. nose is big Time hops with floral notes abundant. some citra in there it seems. mouthfeel is nice and compliments the blast of up front hops with back end bitterness. seems to have lots of grapefruit with some floral and earthy notes fading in the background. overall a nice surprise from this brewery. this is a very good beer imo and maybe overlooked in the vast array of world class iipa out there. would def drink again. nice job on this one.

3.89/5  rDev -5.6%

L: Deep amber with a huge white head. Slight haze.

S: Grapefruit with a hint of bright citrus. Malt shows a bit but it's citrus shines more.

T: A bit more malt here, but still very solid and similar to nose.

F: Good, medium light and expected carb.

O: Very solid DIPA, but more west coast as opposed to NE tropical juice bomb. It's fine, just not my preferred style of hoppy beer. I love the name though.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

I really hope that I can find this regularly. Could easily be my go to beer. IMO this is the best canned beer in CT unless you include SoS. I'm not going to even count G-bot since its so damn hard to find and can't be found consistently.

I love this brew. Its nice and malty. Very bitter but with a nice balance unlike palate mallet (again my opinion, I know that many people love that brew). Its an interesting brew. Extremely hazy and will lace a glass like no other beer that I've had. There is a little citrus but the hop profile seems to lean towards a very resinous flavor that just works for me. The smell is cat piss. Doesn't bother me but not the brew's high point. Its very different than the actual flavor.

I've only been to firefly once and it was quite a while ago. I've found cans a few times and am always excited to see them. I think that this beer is seriously underrated, especially here apparently. Its a very different IIPA and for that I appreciate it even more. I've been drinking cans of this for the past few days now and very happy about it.

Cone Flakes IIPA from Firefly Hollow Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 186 ratings